Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flighty - A new Flight Tracking app for iOS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by flightyryan

I understand the request, but I can see many many ways it would go bad quickly! Maybe we can add a "Delegate" permission, where you can grant only exact friend's to control your flights. 🤔 No promises, but I get the request.
Oh I 100% see a ton of ways it could go wrong if done wrong lol. Maybe like a "local" version of friends, whereas its only visibile/editable by you, I think delegate is a good word too. Same with my parents, they're not even on tech but I book and manage their flights for them so it'd be nice to track them in flighty without having to add them to my flights and skew the data.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller 935
As you mentioned you were comfortable creating calendar items programmatically... have you ever looked at using https://tripit.github.io/api/doc/v1/...method_create? It's provided by TripIt themselves and although it's poorly maintained (understatement!) it sort of works.
Regrettably, it seems that one can no longer sign up for developer accounts or (if you were to make it that far, which you can't), there is no longer a capability of creating new applications. https://www.tripit.com/developer is just a redirect now. I e-mailed for help and they said the program is done; no new sign-ups, period.

It's sounding more and more and more like I'm just going to have to wait and see if Flighty ever allows for a bulk import process.

I truly wish there was something simple to do, like forward an e-mail to Flighty's system with the flight details in it, from a standardized template. I really struggle -- and I mean really struggle -- with how there are apparently standardized ingestion methods for "official" e-mails from airlines, booking agencies, etc., but no simple template for ingesting personal data. I really, honestly struggle with understanding how a self-made calendar event is so radically, transformationally different in nature that Flighty just can't possibly even begin to process it, when the events themselves are literally identical, word for word, field for field, item by item. It seems important for others to know this, too -- and not to hold out hope that a solution is even in the realm of possibility. You better have "official" calendar events from "official" sources or you're just not going to upload your flight history, and potentially never will, either.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:24 pm

Programs: QF
I also requested this via their support mechanisms. The answer was to get the flights into tripit. Thats not going to happen!

I agree that if they just allowed a simple text format that is known to work that is all that would be needed for what I want to achieve.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:49 pm
Company Representative, Flighty App

Programs: flighty.com
Originally Posted by Flyingggggggggggg
Oof, really? First, thank you for taking the time to reply. But second, again, oof. You're saying there's no other way to import flights other than:
  1. TripIt (I can't bulk-add flights to TripIt, it's just as one-at-a-time as Flighty)
  2. Calendar imports from events generated only from official airline sources
  3. Forwarded e-mails from only airlines with official itineraries
I guess I'm a bit confused as to how calendar events are ingested: why would calendar events automatically created by, for example, a Siri calendar suggestion be successfully imported, but not an identically-formatted, manually-created calendar event with literally the exact same information? I am really confused about that. I really don't know how this is "hacking it," as it's just calendar events like any others. Can you help me understand this a little more? It's really tremendously important to me, and I really would like to better understand because, and I know this may sound silly to you, I have spent hours and hours and hours trying to work on this and it would just be so much more useful for me to just hear, straight up, "that doesn't work, it will never work, your only option is manually adding flights, so move on."

Is there an e-mail template for ingesting data I could use? I can certainly generate e-mails. Or is the long-discussed CSV import going to happen or is that not realistically on the road map?

I'm really just looking for help, here, and just some straightforward answers. I've tried reaching out via the support e-mail and haven't heard a word back, just automated responses.

Thank you again for taking time to help. I do love the app. I am former flight crew and this data is very important to me for a variety of personal reasons. I would not have spent so, so many hours on this, trying so, so hard, if it weren't that important to me.
I believe I personally replied to your email thread which already had a few back and forths last night, but yes to recap:
- We only (“only”) import via those 3 methods plus manual search.
- I would not recommend trying what you’re doing. It will remain frustrating.
- I would recommend waiting until there’s an official method. Which is on the roadmap, but my team has (correctly) forbidden me from promising ETAs anymore!

We have your email now and will reply there with any news. And surely here too. 🙏
malwcal likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:09 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flyingggggggggggg
[...] or you're just not going to upload your flight history, and potentially never will
I gave up on Flighty for flight history fairly quickly. It remains a mostly great tool for current and future travel, especially since ExpertFlyer stopped being a dependable tool.

I can live without the flight history features. It just seems odd that Flighty makes them so prominent, given they're probably not anywhere near complete for anyone who's been flying for more than a year or two.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:42 am

Programs: IB Plat - Hilton Gold - Marriott Gold - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by IMH
I gave up on Flighty for flight history fairly quickly. It remains a mostly great tool for current and future travel, especially since ExpertFlyer stopped being a dependable tool.

I can live without the flight history features. It just seems odd that Flighty makes them so prominent, given they're probably not anywhere near complete for anyone who's been flying for more than a year or two.
hi. Why is it that expert flyer has stopped being a dependable tool? I still use it and I don’t notice anything different than before…. My opinion Flighty is more for future travel and schedules and expert flyer is for a different purpose, in my case getting alert for award space and specific booking classes. Am I wrong?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:03 am
IMH

Originally Posted by chejus
Why is it that expert flyer has stopped being a dependable tool?
That's discussed in some detail here (especially the last couple of pages): ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

I agree with you about what Flighty does best (and it has been extremely useful to me a few times). But given all the work they've put into ways of presenting one's flight history, it would make sense if one could actually add it all.
chejus likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by IMH
That's discussed in some detail here (especially the last couple of pages): ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

I agree with you about what Flighty does best (and it has been extremely useful to me a few times). But given all the work they've put into ways of presenting one's flight history, it would make sense if one could actually add it all.
Weren’t you going to cobble a script together that would automate adding all your past flights into Calendar entries? I gave you a sample entry that Flighty instantly picked up when I first enabled calendar syncing. Did that not work?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:13 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred and CP, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Cyberpower678
Weren’t you going to cobble a script together that would automate adding all your past flights into Calendar entries? I gave you a sample entry that Flighty instantly picked up when I first enabled calendar syncing. Did that not work?
Based on your screenshot, I found that this formatting works for the calendar entry: Flight: LH 428 from MUC to CLT

The location and date/time fields do not seem to matter, although the calendar entry cannot be set as "all day" it must be set to a time--but the time and duration do not seem to matter.

In my testing, however, the airline, flight number, and airport codes had to align with reality. In other words, it did not import when I used fake flight numbers or no flight number. Unfortunately, my database only has airline, date, and city pairs so without flight numbers I am unable to import to Flighty to get a complete history. Has anyone been able to import data without flight numbers?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by IMH

This is in reference to inability to manually import flights? Anything else, or just that?

Originally Posted by zak1013
thanks. It syncs just fine when I’m adding flights thru TripIt, but if I delete flights they don’t ever disappear from Flighty. I just updated the app so we will see if that helps.
This is correct and is an implementation choice that we can revisit. To be clear what I'm saying is: Flights added to TripIt sync into Flighty. Flights deleted in TripIt do not also get deleted from Flighty.

(Since yall are nerdy too and will ask, it's because TripIt's API is so ...... they do not reliably relay your flights, and we found that we were erroneously deleting users flights based on their API, which is unacceptable, so we had to turn off deletion syncing. I'll revisit with team if that's changed.)

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 28, 2024 at 7:11 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:21 am
IMH

Originally Posted by IMH
I gave up on Flighty for flight history fairly quickly.
Originally Posted by flightyryan
This is in reference to inability to manually import flights? Anything else, or just that?
I would have been happy to enter my flights manually -- importing would be appreciated by many here but wasn't an issue for me. The deeper problem was Flighty's data sources not recognising flights I tried to enter, e.g. flights to/from Berlin's closed TXL airport.

For me, this isn't that important as long as Flighty does its main job well -- helping me keep on top of cancellations, schedule changes and equipment changes affecting my booked flights and on top of delays and other changes on the day.

But (to repeat myself) it seems odd given the effort the design team have made to give users ways to display flight history and (for example) show how often they've flown a particular route or a particular aircraft type. All those "bells and whistles" features become annoying distractions when they're hopelessly inaccurate.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by IMH
I would have been happy to enter my flights manually -- importing would be appreciated by many here but wasn't an issue for me. The deeper problem was Flighty's data sources not recognising flights I tried to enter, e.g. flights to/from Berlin's closed TXL airport.
Glad you found manual entry easy! It's much much faster than most assume. Yes, TXL has a known particular issue to just that airport which we have known plans to fix and reply to everyone who has reported it.

Originally Posted by IMH
For me, this isn't that important as long as Flighty does its main job well -- helping me keep on top of cancellations, schedule changes and equipment changes affecting my booked flights and on top of delays and other changes on the day.
I appreciate you acknowledging that. 🤗 That's a core use for sure.

Originally Posted by IMH
But (to repeat myself) it seems odd given the effort the design team have made to give users ways to display flight history and (for example) show how often they've flown a particular route or a particular aircraft type. All those "bells and whistles" features become annoying distractions when they're hopelessly inaccurate.
First, let me say thanks for the enthusiasm! The distinction I'll point out is – we can't do everything at once. Something had to come first, and manually inputting flight data didn't come first. But it will come! And it will be great like the rest of our features when it does.
Rare likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by iRobert
I was traveling to and in Brazil the last few days, and I noticed that Flighty was not picking up incoming flights from LATAM. So, when I was waiting for my flight, the incoming flight was well on its way, but Flighty was not picking up on this data, while Flightradar24 had the correct data.
Ok, so had the same issue no this week with a KLM flight within Europe. Incoming flight details not being provided. I had to add the incoming flight as a flight of my own to get the details.
So the app is showing the correct data it is just not connecting one to another. Where can i give such feedback flightyryan
Old Apr 13, 2024, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by iRobert
Ok, so had the same issue no this week with a KLM flight within Europe. Incoming flight details not being provided. I had to add the incoming flight as a flight of my own to get the details.
So the app is showing the correct data it is just not connecting one to another. Where can i give such feedback flightyryan
All feedback and support is best given via the Help Center in Settings. In this case we are aware of KLM/AF being lame at providing tail numbers and are actively working on improvements via both partnership and engineering.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:56 pm

One bug to report. After landing, if the flight hasn’t updated yet. On the main page the flight will say flight lands in 15 mins and when clicking on it it says flight due 15 mins ago. Guessing it’s just taking the absolute value of the time instead of handling a negative

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.