ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
Seat Maps have nothing to do with ticket inventory. "Blocked" means that physical seat is blocked from being assigned, it doesn't mean that there is a seat blocked from being sold.
Whenever I see orange seats in UA F seat maps, I have been able to select them. Blocked UA seats traditionally appear on their maps as taken or do not appear at all.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:31 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by 747FC

Whenever I see orange seats in UA F seat maps, I have been able to select them. Blocked UA seats traditionally appear on their maps as taken or do not appear at all.
The issue is they are not F seats, they are J seats. If you request the cabin as Business then you see the available seats as available. If you do a Flight Availability search you'll see that UA isn't telling "First" on the flight, that cabin is sold as business. On UA.com you'll see the cabin class as "D" which is a Business class fare code.

As to why UA is returning the available seats as blocked if you request First vs Business that you would have to ask United.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:09 pm

The issue is they are not F seats, they are J seats. If you request the cabin as Business then you see the available seats as available. If you do a Flight Availability search you'll see that UA isn't telling "First" on the flight, that cabin is sold as business. On UA.com you'll see the cabin class as "D" which is a Business class fare code.

As to why UA is returning the available seats as blocked if you request First vs Business that you would have to ask United.
Actually, they are domestic F seats, but that is irrelevant because UA seat map shows them as selectable and EF seat map shows them as blocked. That is the comparison—not fare codes. Still trying to understand why.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:00 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by 747FC

Actually, they are domestic F seats, but that is irrelevant because UA seat map shows them as selectable and EF seat map shows them as blocked. That is the comparison—not fare codes. Still trying to understand why.
As we explained, if you request it as the Business cabin they do show as selectable, please try that.
Yes they are being sold as Business because if you look at the details of the flight on UA.com and look at the booking class it's "D" which is a Business fare, not a first Fare, which is likely why UA is only showing the seats as available when the Business cabin is requested. Either way it's not an EF issue, we are returning what the UA response is for the cabin requested.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:39 pm

As we explained, if you request it as the Business cabin they do show as selectable, please try that.
Yes they are being sold as Business because if you look at the details of the flight on UA.com and look at the booking class it's "D" which is a Business fare, not a first Fare, which is likely why UA is only showing the seats as available when the Business cabin is requested. Either way it's not an EF issue, we are returning what the UA response is for the cabin requested.
Now I understand. I just tried searching the EF seat map and check F and Y. I now see that the F option shows blocked and the J option shows the correct seat map. I did not understand that this distinction was important in seat map review in EF. Learn something new everyday. Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
EDIT: Nevermind.

Has tEF eliminated the option to search for RTW and similar fares?

I keep getting the following error message on EF: The Departure and Arrival airports must be different.

Last edited by Jasper2009; Jun 17, 2019 at 2:44 pm
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Has tEF eliminated the option to search for RTW and similar fares?

I keep getting the following error message on EF: The Departure and Arrival airports must be different.
I just tested it - it's working fine for me
- I entered PER as the origin and destination airports and QF as the carrier
- Got the expected Oneworld RTW fares listed

The Fare Information page still displays "To perform an Around the World (RTW) fare search, use the same Departing and Arriving airport codes."

So, are you sure you were on the Fare Information page?
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by pandaperth

I just tested it - it's working fine for me
- I entered PER as the origin and destination airports and QF as the carrier
- Got the expected Oneworld RTW fares listed

The Fare Information page still displays "To perform an Around the World (RTW) fare search, use the same Departing and Arriving airport codes."

So, are you sure you were on the Fare Information page?
Pretty sure I was on that page since I tried multiple times, but either way, I just tried again and it's indeed working fine.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:05 am

Help interpreting flight comments in EF

Hi all,
Expertflyer returned the following additional comments regarding my delayed flight today. Can I ask for help interpreting them? My hypothesis is that AA took our plane in order to use it for another flight whose incoming plane was delayed, but I don't know if that's what these comments mean or not.

Thanks so much for your help,
saunders111

ORD 1014A T3 K6
ABQ 4 B3 1217P 107P B3
ORD - T3 H12 510P
3ORD/ETD1137 LAE-PREVIOUS DELAY OF THIS AIRCRAFT *0848
7ORD/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED SEE N*P1AA1356ORD18JUN *0907*CRCYMG
2ABQ/PRE1340 *0848
3ABQ/ETD1425 LAE-PREVIOUS DELAY OF THIS AIRCRAFT *0850
7ABQ/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED SEE N*P1AA1356ABQ18JUN *0910*CRCYMG
2ORD*/PRE1828 *0850
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:11 am

ExpertFlyer Newbie: Business Seat Availability

I am a newbie and looking at flight J2 016 for Aug 10 and looks like there are 12 business seats available (C6, Z4, A2) but the jet is an A319 with only 8 seats in business class. Then upon further investigation, this seems to be the norm, at least with J2. So what's going on here? Do they keep more than normal biz seats available and in case they sell out all 12, they swap the plane? Do all airlines do this?

Last edited by ktosayev; Jun 24, 2019 at 1:31 am Reason: 8 seats in J, not 4. typos
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ktosayev
I am a newbie and looking at flight J2 016 for Aug 10 and looks like there are 12 business seats available (C6, Z4, A2) but the jet is an A319 with only 4 seats in business class. Then upon further investigation, this seems to be the norm, at least with J2. So what's going on here? Do they keep more than normal biz seats available and in case they sell out all 12, they swap the plane? Do all airlines do this?
Is this from from DXB to GYD on Azerbaijan Airlines J2 016
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/j216
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azerbaijan_Airlines

Some Eu airlines have a movable curtain business/economy. Same seats for business as economy, but business has the middle seat unused.
But no idea if J2 do that
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Is this from from DXB to GYD on Azerbaijan Airlines J2 16
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/j216
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azerbaijan_Airlines

Some Eu airlines have a movable curtain business/economy. Same seats for business as economy, but business has the middle seat unused.
But no idea if J2 do that
I have been on this flight many times and it's non-lie-flat business class seats with 2-2 config, not 3-3 with middle seat blanked. I am sure they can also move the bulkhead and replace seats considering this is a daily flight with sufficient time in between flights but I guess they might just replace the plane since I have flown on this route in A319 (8 seats in 2-2 config) and A320 (20 seats in 2-2 config) and 757-200 (22 seats in 2-2 config).

PS Just realized I made a mistake and said 4 seats in J but it's actually 8 (4 blocked) but still availability on ExpertFlyer is for 12.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I have flown on this route in A319 (8 seats in 2-2 config) and A320 (20 seats in 2-2 config) and 757-200 (22 seats in 2-2 config)..
You have answered you own question. @:-)
Airlines can change aircraft type on any route, subject to forecast demand and overall planning
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:25 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

I am a newbie and looking at flight J2 016 for Aug 10 and looks like there are 12 business seats available (C6, Z4, A2) but the jet is an A319 with only 8 seats in business class. Then upon further investigation, this seems to be the norm, at least with J2. So what's going on here? Do they keep more than normal biz seats available and in case they sell out all 12, they swap the plane? Do all airlines do this?
Fare class code values are not additive. A is a subset of Z which is a subset of C. All you know for sure is that there are at least 6 full fare Business tickets available for sale on that flight, not 12.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:41 pm

Fare class code values are not additive. A is a subset of Z which is a subset of C. All you know for sure is that there are at least 6 full fare Business tickets available for sale on that flight, not 12.
This was the answer I needed - thanks!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.