ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:04 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Im syre EF is great for those looking for reward seats, but so far it really hasn't been very useful to search for fares, especially if there are all these random rules that can not be sorted out.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Stryker1112
Im syre EF is great for those looking for reward seats, but so far it really hasn't been very useful to search for fares, especially if there are all these random rules that can not be sorted out.
They're not random rules. They're just rules of which you were previously unaware - we've all been there at some stage. Every day is a learning day.

EF basically provides to the public information which was previously the domain of expert travel agents. To get the most out of EF, you therefore need to learn much of what an expert travel agent knows. The word "Expert" in the site's name points to that. Like everything in this business, there are no easy shortcuts.
jerry a. laska and pilot007 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:45 pm

Sure, but the rules aren’t clear, and they don’t make sense. You are clearly far more knowledgeable about this then I am, but even you have to go to another website and try to tease out what’s going on. In today’s age, there should be no reason to do so. The algorithm should be able to be easily searched. It’s frustrating and time consuming when it shouldn’t have to be.

Thanks again for for your help though. I do appreciate it
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Stryker1112
Sure, but the rules aren’t clear, and they don’t make sense. ... In today’s age, there should be no reason to do so. The algorithm should be able to be easily searched. It’s frustrating and time consuming when it shouldn’t have to be.
I agree that much of this is opaque. But this is nothing to do with ExpertFlyer. These are the industry's rules, and EF is just reporting to you the information that is provided to it, in the same way that an expert travel agent would be provided with this information. EF doesn't pretend to be here to digest and explain the information; you have to spend time learning what the information means and how to make the most of it. If EF wasn't here, you wouldn't even have known what you didn't know about these fares; you'd simply have gone to the airline website and been presented with a take-it-or-leave-it price. The overwhelming majority of the flying public has always worked on that basis and continues to do so: you only need to see the number of complaints about how air fares appear to be randomly picked by airlines. They aren't - as you and I know - but almost nobody out there has much idea how it works, and I doubt that any regulator is going to require airlines to be any clearer about this than they are.

I don't agree that the dual inventory rule doesn't make sense. It's very simple to understand and apply: For the fare to be valid on a particular flight, there must be available inventory in one booking class and also available inventory in another booking class. The EF listing of these AA fares at least tells you (now that you know how to read them) that you need availability in the booking class corresponding to the first letter of the fare basis code (Q or N in this example), and you need availability in B class (as listed in the EF fare ladder). There are actually airlines which give you no clue as to which other booking class is required.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:58 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

This forum is on the topic of Travel Tools, that is tools, services and software used to optimize the travel experience. It is not about fare rules. This particular thread is about using Expert Flyer; it is not about fare rules.

While some limited natural deviation form the subjects of the forum and thread is obviously fine, please keep in mind that this forum and thread are not about fare rules.

Per FlyerTalk Rule 5, Stay on Topic, please try to confine your comments as closely as possible to the subject areas of this thread and forum.

If you wish to discuss fare rules, please do so in the relevant airlines and alliances forums, Mileage Runs Deals forum or Travel Buzz.

Future off topic remarks will be summarily deleted without further notice. Repeat offenders may be subject to discipline.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Tools moderator
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I seem to get errors at the moment looking for LH O (First Class) award availability in EF.

For example, FRA-BLR / Lufthansa / O / 1 ticket / departing 11-12-13-14 March / direct

An error has occurred while communicating with the airline reservation system. The support team has been notified of this problem. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:47 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by The Wolf
I seem to get errors at the moment looking for LH O (First Class) award availability in EF.

For example, FRA-BLR / Lufthansa / O / 1 ticket / departing 11-12-13-14 March / direct
We are not seeing that error. All technical issues should be reported via email to [email protected]
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I've had my EF account locked a couple times over the last year, including right now, for what I can only guess is EFs assumption that I am scripting searches. I am an individual and I dont use scripts. It's a major inconvenience to have my account locked and then have to email in. Might I suggest you guys advance your detection technology a bit to reflectthat someone can fairly quickly do repeat searches manually? Or make something more prominent in your TOUs and I'll make a decision about whether you are the right product for me or if I should just splurge and get a proper GDS subscription.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:25 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by stephem
I've had my EF account locked a couple times over the last year, including right now, for what I can only guess is EFs assumption that I am scripting searches. I am an individual and I dont use scripts. It's a major inconvenience to have my account locked and then have to email in. Might I suggest you guys advance your detection technology a bit to reflectthat someone can fairly quickly do repeat searches manually? Or make something more prominent in your TOUs and I'll make a decision about whether you are the right product for me or if I should just splurge and get a proper GDS subscription.
The system only locks accounts when it sees a search velocity that is too fast to be done normally and actually look at the results requested. It works properly and our policy against data mining is in our TOU.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I often find myself being locked when at the end of a trip and I am manually deleting saved queries using a browser on the lean smartphone expertflyer site.

I can't delete more than about three in thirty seconds without this occurring.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:05 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by serfty
I often find myself being locked when at the end of a trip and I am manually deleting saved queries using a browser on the lean smartphone expertflyer site.

I can't delete more than about three in thirty seconds without this occurring.
Being presented with a CAPTCHA is not your account being locked. We take an extra step of locking accounts for high velocity on specific searches with specific patterns.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
What captcha?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by serfty
What captcha?
CAPTCHA is the acronym for Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart.

This is their website:
And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

TWA884
Travel Tools Moderator
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
I am trying to book LHR-CDG on BA using AAdvantage. Currently, the only flight available is the evening flight, both in coach and business (same availability shows on aa.com and ba.com). However, EF doesn't show availability on any flights that day in X or U. I want to set up an EF alert for the earlier flights, but I don't have confidence that EF will show the availability since it doesn't see the available space on the evening flight. I am EXP (though I don't think that matters here since I can see the availability on aa.com even if not logged in).

You can try yourself to see the issue - June 1 LHR-CDG

Last edited by HofstraJet; Mar 9, 2019 at 8:35 am
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
Being presented with a CAPTCHA is not your account being locked. We take an extra step of locking accounts for high velocity on specific searches with specific patterns.
I also see this behavior when on my phone before a flight checking alternatives, seat maps, etc. running saved queries.

It would be nice on paid accounts to have the CAPTCHA appear after a larger number of queries, especially when running saved queries for travel on or near the date of the search. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.