ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
9 Jul 2018 EF 7 notices of "U" availability - NOT! (Follow link)

Your thoughts. This morning, around 2 a.m (EST). I received multiple alerts (7) for Mile saver availability (U - biz class to /from Europe) for multiple flights on AA, on August 9th and August 26th. (my wife and I have flights but we are trying to get, better connections/ itineraries.)

I called American at 5:30 a.m. EST, to try to switch a current reservation, from Anytime to Milesaver (U.) I was told U was not available. I checked with EF, and sure shooting none of the alerts I received had any U availability.

So my question: is it possible that all those flights and all those mile saver award tickets (about 10 "U" were available according to the notices I got) we're taken by customers between 2 a.m. and 5:30 a.m.? I suppose it's possible but since I got alerts, on 7 different flights, and none were available at 5:30 a.m. I thought I put this out there for discussion.

Thanks for any insights you might have.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AA Flyer
Your thoughts. This morning, around 2 a.m (EST). I received multiple alerts (7) for Mile saver availability (U - biz class to /from Europe) for multiple flights on AA, on August 9th and August 26th. (my wife and I have flights but we are trying to get, better connections/ itineraries.)

I called American at 5:30 a.m. EST, to try to switch a current reservation, from Anytime to Milesaver (U.) I was told U was not available. I checked with EF, and sure shooting none of the alerts I received had any U availability.

So my question: is it possible that all those flights and all those mile saver award tickets (about 10 "U" were available according to the notices I got) we're taken by customers between 2 a.m. and 5:30 a.m.? I suppose it's possible but since I got alerts, on 7 different flights, and none were available at 5:30 a.m. I thought I put this out there for discussion.

Of course not, most likely a glitch of some sort, either on ExpertFlyer's or AA's end. Either the EF search had a glitch that was returning false positives, or AA could have inadvertently released U space on a number of flights during an overnight schedule/fare update that it didn't mean to, which was corrected by the time you called. Who knows.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
IMHO it's more likely that U got released and then taken away by RM overlords.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Interesting. I set up a C alert yesterday for a flight in Sept and got a notification 1 seat was available at 2am. By the time I woke up it was gone. Wonder if a glitch although this flight did have 1 C seat two days ago which disappeared before I was able to ticket so could also just be RM's puppet strings.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Not sure how one could get to finding out about 10, EF Max is 7. Number of notices isn’t relevant.

Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:26 pm

Same as a mistake fare, quickly fixed but not before EF detected it.

Originally Posted by beachfan
Not sure how one could get to finding out about 10, EF Max is 7. Number of notices isn’t relevant.
EF max is 7 alerts, but each alert could be for multiple seats.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Your 2am-5:30am is someone else's 7am-10:30am.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: CK or bust
A wise sensAA once said "one booked U award is better than seven EF alerts."

That sensei probably flys WN.

Ehough EF is real-time, the alerts might have been muddled by married segment restrictions of some sort (speculation) or "templates" being loaded and quickly removed. There is a thread for this too although nothing recently describing that exact behavior.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere
Ehough EF is real-time...
I've not gotten EF alerts in "real time". Once I found a seat assignment available for which I had an alert set. The alert never came because I took the seat.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:58 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I've not gotten EF alerts in "real time". Once I found a seat assignment available for which I had an alert set. The alert never came because I took the seat.
My understanding and experience is the same as yours. EF sweeps data at specific intervals (i.e. not every couple of minutes) so its not real time.

Something for all of us to keep in mind to do some random manual spot checks as we get closer to departure date both on AA.com and on EF.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
@ExpertFlyer Voice to call their attention to this AA related issue.

One can also email: [email protected]

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 10, 2018 at 2:48 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I just sent an email to EF
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I can pretty much guarantee you that EF will just say "we just report the data given to us from AA's reservations system" be it right, wrong, or indifferent...
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by daron4000
Interesting. I set up a C alert yesterday for a flight in Sept and got a notification 1 seat was available at 2am. By the time I woke up it was gone. Wonder if a glitch although this flight did have 1 C seat two days ago which disappeared before I was able to ticket so could also just be RM's puppet strings.
I had a C alert set up for a few months, for DFW-AMS, for Sep travel. So long that I had forgotten about it, until I got an alert this morning. Of course by the time I looked, the seat was gone.

Similar to SeeBuyFly's experience... when I was actively seeking biz (or F) award space to Australia a few months ago, I had a bunch of awards set. But I was also actively running a bunch of queries. One morning I found 2 biz seats on SFO-MEL, went to the AA site and snagged them. About an hour later I got an alert, but they were gone by then, as I had taken them
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AA Flyer

Originally Posted by aztimm
I had a C alert set up for a few months, for DFW-AMS, for Sep travel. So long that I had forgotten about it, until I got an alert this morning. Of course by the time I looked, the seat was gone.

Similar to SeeBuyFly's experience... when I was actively seeking biz (or F) award space to Australia a few months ago, I had a bunch of awards set. But I was also actively running a bunch of queries. One morning I found 2 biz seats on SFO-MEL, went to the AA site and snagged them. About an hour later I got an alert, but they were gone by then, as I had taken them
I had an alert come through this morning for two Business AAnytime travel awards next Monday. They are currently showing J0 for all four direct flights out next week so I find it hard to believe this was a genuine alert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.