5/13: MileWise acquired by Yahoo and closed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5/13: MileWise acquired by Yahoo and closed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
One suggested itinerary included a 15 minute layover in AMS. I've never been there, but imagine it's a bit airport that would require more than 15 minutes to get to the connecting flight :wink:
Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Some of the itineraries that the site come back with are kind of odd, and don't really make sense.

Wichita, KS to Frankfurt, Germany Fri Nov 4, 2011
American ICT 5:55p DFW 7:15p 1h 20m 0 stops Flight 1349
5 minute layover in Dallas/Ft.Worth, TX (DFW)
American DFW 3:20p FRA 7:05a 8h 45m 0 stops Flight 70
Frankfurt, Germany to Wichita, KS Tue Nov 15, 2011
American FRA 10:30a DFW 2:40p 11h 10m 0 stops Flight 71
50 minute layover in Dallas/Ft.Worth, TX (DFW)
American DFW 9:30a ICT 10:40a 1h 10m 0 stops Flight 471

is what shows up in the pop-up box when you click on the "1" for a one-stop. But when you click through to the AA site, it shows:

11:25 AM
ICT

12:50 PM
DFW

Flight Details

3:20 PM
DFW

7:05 AM
FRA

Overnight flight or connection
Terminal change

5:55 PM
ICT

7:15 PM
DFW

70SAT NOV 5

Flight Details

DFW

6:05 AM
FRA

Please note connection time
Terminal change

2:20 PM
ICT

3:40 PM
DFW

70SAT NOV 5

Flight Details

DFW

FRA

Please note connection time
Terminal change

11:25 AM
ICT

12:50 PM
DFW

70SAT NOV 5

Flight Details

DFW

FRA

as the options.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
I just found MileWise a couple of days ago -- didn't realize it was brand new, as many of the admin replies on the forums date from 4 months ago. It looks quite promising.

ANC RED EYE touched on the issue of coordinating mileage valuations among the programs. It gets a little complicated, given the varying value of miles among different airlines, but for a start recognizing that miles earned on one airline will carry over to another program. I've been searching an international trip. AA is my primary program, but a routing on AY would net more EQMs and as such provide more value than a trip on AA (especially since the AY ticket is cheaper).

I look forward to seeing the site develop.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've been trialing it the last two days. I really like the ease of searching for awards. In fact, fresh out of the gate I found an award I've been seeking for over two months. I called the airline immediately and secured it.

I would like the ability to set up my preferences before a search. For example, I might be specifically looking for using miles from UA. Yes, I can unclick a lot of boxes after the returns are in so this isn't a huge thing, it's a nice to have.

I'd like the ability to add additional members and track their award balances separately. AwardWallet allows me to do this very easily. This request IS a big thing for me.

FTers are really savvy about these things. Yet I can't find discussion about milewise before this thread. A press release came out the same day:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/17/mil...equent-fliers/

Thanks to falconred for bringing the site to our attention.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
ANC RED-EYE:

Yep, good catch. Partner rules in general are something we haven't had a chance to do. Partner earning/redemption we know is incredibly important, but the scope of the problem is so large we had to push it out. We'll be rolling out alliance/partner/earning+redemption rule support as we can, most likely in phases based on popularity of program and ease of implementation.

Hotels: Definitely. There's massive value in hotel redemption (as you all probably know better than everyone).

Glad you're liking MileWise! Hope you stick around as we grow.

The support definitely helps keep us going on these Sunday afternoon feature-coding parties! (although the office beer supply helps too..)
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:10 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've been trialing it the last two days. I really like the ease of searching for awards. In fact, fresh out of the gate I found an award I've been seeking for over two months. I called the airline immediately and secured it.
AWESOME. Very cool to hear things like this -- glad you were able to get real immediate value.

As for being brand-new: We've been in private beta for about 5 months with a very small set of users, which generated a bit of discussion. But we've only been public since TechCrunch/LifeHacker picked us up last week. It's been exciting -- only a couple servers have melted so far
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
looks like a good program

So far I like what I see haven't added all my accounts yet
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:56 am

Do you expect to add the ability to search for awards with bmi and Virgin Atlantic miles? If so, when?

Also, are you able to search for award availability using AA miles for a flight on which DragonAir operates? I checked a route on which I believe award space is available, and didn't find it with your tool.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:23 pm

Virgin Atlantic will most likely come before bmi. Because of the large number of airlines, we'll probably prioritize airline inventory based on how many people have added certain programs...soooo if you add your Virgin Atlantic account that's a good way to vote for getting the inventory up and running sooner ;-)

Unfortunately don't have award inventory for AA/DragonAir flights.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by nickmeyer
Unfortunately don't have award inventory for AA/DragonAir flights.
Should you want to add it in the future, you can find inventory using the AsiaMiles tool.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

I imagine the flight data is an ITA feed, while the miles info is custom coded to scrape each individual program's site.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'm getting a page not found error when I click on the signup link..
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:35 pm

I'm confused why Award Wallet would work with you, seems like dilution of market share is the only benefit they'd get...unless you plan some larger merging of technologies.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:01 pm
Company Representative - MileWise

Programs: AA, DL, UA, SPG
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I'm getting a page not found error when I click on the signup link..
Are you on IE7? Unfortunately a lot of JavaScript techniques we use to keep things fast as possible don't work in older browsers.

If possible, you may want to upgrade to Chrome, Firefox, or IE8/9.

(if you still run into trouble, email [email protected])
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Thanks, and yes, I'm on IE7. Unfortunately, due to my position, I can't upgrade to a newer version until we upgrade certain software. I will try it at home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.