Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5/13: MileWise acquired by Yahoo and closed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Very interesting.

It shows a value per mile as well. My Chase Rewards are about $.01/mile while BA miles are $.03/mile. I'd value them exactly the opposite.

No surprise Delta doesn't list their flights: I'm pretty sure they don't want anyone to actually redeem them
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:12 am
Company Representative - Superfly

Originally Posted by lrluis
Wow - I'm really liking it thus far. It would be great if it could also:
1) search results for nearby airports as well.
2) run one-way searches
3) allow for Multi-City searches
Superfly supports all of the above. Come and visit, looking forward to your feedback.
Old May 8, 2013, 2:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
MileWise acquired by Yahoo

Just made an announcement on their website.

-S

We're proud to announce we've been acquired by Yahoo!

MileWise began almost four years ago with the goal of creating a simple, powerful product to help people save time and money.

While we've had setbacks along the way, we've been lucky to connect with an incredible community of fellow travelers, without whom we wouldn't have made it this far. To everyone who took MileWise for a spin: THANK YOU! You shared our vision of what MileWise could become, and generously donated your time and passion to making it a reality.

As part of the transition, the MileWise service will be shutting down. It's tough to say goodbye to something we've put so much time into. But we've tried to make it easy to take your data with you. We'll be sending everyone an email with instructions on exporting your data, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to email us.

The MileWise team will be joining the Yahoo! engineering team in NYC's Bryant Park office. We're thrilled to be joining such a talented group of inventors, and can't wait to get working on the next big thing coming out of Yahoo.

Again, we'd like to thank everyone who helped us along the way: our investors, our employees, our partners, and most importantly, our fellow travelers.

Vinay, Sanjay, and Nick
Old May 8, 2013, 3:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

Why would Yahoo acquire them and immediately close the business?
Old May 8, 2013, 7:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
Page is gone now. Hmmm...very interesting. @:-)

-S
Old May 9, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Airmiles, Alaska Airlines
Unhappy Goodbye Milewise.

Looks like Milewise has sold us. Am I wrong to feel used? Should I move to AwardWallet, or is there something else out there that won't do the same thing one day?

We're proud to announce we've been acquired by Yahoo!
MileWise began almost four years ago with the goal of creating a simple, powerful product to help you get the most value out of your rewards. Along the way, we’ve been lucky to connect with an incredible community of fellow travelers, without whom we wouldn't have made it this far. To everyone who took MileWise for a spin: THANK YOU! You shared our vision of what MileWise could become, and generously donated your time and passion towards making it a reality.
As part of the transition, the MileWise service will be shutting down. It's tough to say goodbye to something we've dedicated so much to. But we've tried to make it easy to take your data with you:
Follow this link to export your MileWise accounts details and passwords:
http://secured.milewise.com
You'll receive an email with an attached file containing your data, and instructions on how to use this file to migrate your accounts to AwardWallet, our recommended rewards management tool. If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to email us at [email protected].
For security purposes, we'll be deleting all data two weeks from today.
Again, we'd like to thank everyone who supported us along the way: our investors, our employees, our partners, and most importantly, our fellow travelers.
The MileWise Team

Last edited by mevl; May 9, 2013 at 9:58 pm
Old May 9, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Goodbye Milewise.

I guess I don't quite get it. Why sell to Yahoo if Yahoo wants to shut it down? Seems odd unless Yahoo is expecting to release some kind of new and improved product.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Yahoo bought the programmers, not the product.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:54 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
drminn is correct. MileWise showed it could take a group of talented programmers and create something cool. That has nothing to do with whether MileWise was actually viable as a business. Apparently Yahoo! doesn't think it is. But it thinks their team works well together and can help Yahoo! with its own problems.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Why would Yahoo acquire them and immediately close the business?
Many different reasons...

http://pandodaily.com/2013/05/02/yah...ng-to-sources/
http://skift.com/2013/05/09/yahoo-to...and-hire-team/
Old May 11, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, Emirates, BA, Virgin Atlantic, US Airways
Then why not sell the company to a different group of programmers or a travel company or whatever. I am a programmer and although milewise was a good site it wasn't something so out of the world that some other programmers could not take over.

I am really confused about this acquisition.

I am sensing there was something more behind that - either they were losing way too much money to not be attractive to anyone else or there was some legal issues or something..
Old May 12, 2013, 4:16 am
Company Representative - Superfly

Originally Posted by floyd777
Then why not sell the company to a different group of programmers or a travel company or whatever. I am a programmer and although milewise was a good site it wasn't something so out of the world that some other programmers could not take over.

I am really confused about this acquisition.

I am sensing there was something more behind that - either they were losing way too much money to not be attractive to anyone else or there was some legal issues or something..
Guys,

Yahoo bought the engineers and not the product. Nothing fishy. Yahoo often buys teams that have experience working together in a specific field.

If you need an alternative for reward management you can use Superfly.com. Full disclosure (I am the founder).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.