Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Netbooks and the evolution towards larger machines...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Netbooks and the evolution towards larger machines...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2009, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by ddschur
Why go with ANY Netbook when you can get a REAL laptop...the Dell Inspiron 11Z.

It is lightweight (~3 lbs), has an excellent pricepoint (~$399) and more capability than netbooks.

At least that's my impression...am I wrong?
You are wrong. 3-cell battery only.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus, SkyMiles
Dell inspiron 11z isn't a "real" laptop imo, 1.2 GHz celeron is hardly a huge step up from the Atom N280s in current netbooks. Plus, the published battery life results pales in comparison to netbooks.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ddschur
Why go with ANY Netbook when you can get a REAL laptop...the Dell Inspiron 11Z.

It is lightweight (~3 lbs), has an excellent pricepoint (~$399) and more capability than netbooks.

At least that's my impression...am I wrong?
Well that is the big question isn't it...
For me the key plus points are 8.5 hour battery as many flights nowadays have no working power, portability (size and weight), smaller screen size (my 15" Laptop pixelates watching NFL on Slingbox as Hotel broadband in Europe and Latin America is insufficient for 480p let alone HD) and the led screen (as watching movies on my old toshiba laptop I was never happy with screen angle).
I am also cheating as I am sick of Windows for my main laptop so I am going Mac and I want to keep a toe in the Windows world for compatability and old time's sake.

As to Dell, experience with hardware reliability traveling has not been good for me.

This forum has been more helpful for me in researching my purchase than the more techy PC sites. Thanks guys.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Ok now I really need advice from someone who has Sony W. I made my mind up on NEtwbook but now I see Sony VPCW111XX/W. This has the usual Sony Price Mark Up and they say the battery sucks but everyone say the screen is awesome and as I want to use for DVD's, Sling box and NFL Game Pass HD streaming, I am being swayed by this. Anyone able to give experience to this? Toshiba NB205 or Sony VPCW111XX? Thanks
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:37 pm

Netbooks dont have optical drives so you'll need an external usb drive for DVDs. Also word of warning, netbooks have been known to lag when streaming HD videos (underpowered Atom CPUs). I experience this with HD videos on hulu, there's occasional stuttering, it doesn't bother me too much but ymmv.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:58 pm
Suspended

I am hoping the 280 will be better than the 270 with HD. I think pixelation is more bandwidth dependent, anyone heard of synch problems caused by Atom processors. I used to use a Win TV Card on old Toshiba with Celeron and that went out of synch if I tried to run more than 1 app. (I am worried anti vrius software like McAfee may cause problem...
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:05 pm

But N280 is almost identical to N270s though, only 60mhz difference, which is negligible. They are both comparable to a 1Ghz Celeron M in benchmarks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.