Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Netbooks and the evolution towards larger machines...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Netbooks and the evolution towards larger machines...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
In the next 6 months, I want to see what's new in larger netbooks (11"-13", less than 4 lbs) in sub $500 price category.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus, SkyMiles
What you want is the new Acer 1410 @$450. 3lbs, 11.6" screen and intel 1.4GHz Core 2 Solo CPU. It also has the Intel 4500MHD GPU so you can do lite gaming and definitely more powerful than current gen netbooks.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
My ideal netbook would be an 11 or 12" screen, at least 2GB RAM, XP is fine, battery life of 8 hrs or more and a weight of 2.3 lbs or less.

I still have my old Dell 300M. Love the form-factor. Screen is showing its age though .
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by kingalien
My ideal netbook would be an 11 or 12" screen, at least 2GB RAM, XP is fine, battery life of 8 hrs or more and a weight of 2.3 lbs or less.

I still have my old Dell 300M. Love the form-factor. Screen is showing its age though .
My ideal is a full-size keyboard built around however large a screen one could fit around that; screen resolution of at least 1280x800; Vista/W7; the 8-hour battery life and your weight specs. I think this is coming soon - the battery life is the biggest hurdle.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:21 am

Can't see netbooks getting that kind of specs and still be profitable at $500 anytime soon. My two netbook purchases have been disappointing as they are noticeably sluggish and underpowered. But they are convenient to have.

A friend recently splurged on a Toshiba R600 last month. 12" screen, 2.4lbs, 8+ hours battery life, core 2 duo and 3GB ram. Bit over priced for my taste though.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:53 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by miamiScorpio
................ A friend recently splurged on a Toshiba R600 last month. 12" screen, 2.4lbs, 8+ hours battery life, core 2 duo and 3GB ram. Bit over priced for my taste though.
+1, overprice!
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:34 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by miamiScorpio
Can't see netbooks getting that kind of specs and still be profitable at $500 anytime soon. My two netbook purchases have been disappointing as they are noticeably sluggish and underpowered. But they are convenient to have.

A friend recently splurged on a Toshiba R600 last month. 12" screen, 2.4lbs, 8+ hours battery life, core 2 duo and 3GB ram. Bit over priced for my taste though.
You get what you pay for. It's a beautiful machine.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Well, the idea of patience in a technological area where prices are generally falling and quality is generally rising is to get what you paid for, but to get it at half the price in x months.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Braindrain
But is it a "netbook"?

I'd argue that price is the key determining factor here and on that basis its not a netbook.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:43 am

Netbook is just a marketing moniker (a very successful one) = sub-$500 + sub 3lbs + 3-year old spec. The value proposition can be extremely good considering you can get a dell mini 9 for sub $200 including taxes/shipping. I can't see how they make any margin off that price point but I'm not complaining.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Well, the idea of patience in a technological area where prices are generally falling and quality is generally rising is to get what you paid for, but to get it at half the price in x months.
Err..... make that what my employer paid for. Price is no object, for me.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 5:54 am

I went thru Netbooks like other change shirts until I bought the HP 2140. It has it downsides but the upside, the incredible keyboard, outweighs all else. I even sacrificed built in 3g. I just throw it in my TimBuk2 Classic Messenger (size "S"), most days I leave the power brick at home. For extended away periods I have a 6-cell battery.

A colleague recently got the X200s, it is a very nice machine, but I since I can't expense it to my employer, I can't justify the price difference.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichMSN
A follow up. I installed Office 2007, SlingPlayer, FeedDemon, Thunderbird, and Skype. Also Firefox, WS_FTP, ISOburner, Tweetdeck.

Went out and got the $79 USB DVD writer/player as well.

Runs great.

Right now, it's a "kiosk" machine on our countertop, but it will travel with me when I don't need our work software or when I'm on vacation.
Looking to buy Toshiba N205-311 for airplane and hotel use (Slingbox, Skype and NFL streaming (UK). Your input is exactly what I needed, mahalo ia oi. I will go for 2MB upgrade and DVD drive.
Four questions please...
1. for protection in carry on, what kind of case did you go for? Is it tough enough to do without one?
2. I have seen speaker sound is mono and very low and you need to upgrade realtek drivers. Any comments on that?
3. Will unit drive external monitors at higher res like WXGA?
4. Is the 8.5 hour battery life for real on videos and does it run hot? My old Toshiba laptop has a Sony battery so it rivals a Weber grill for cooking purposes.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rjlon
Looking to buy Toshiba N205-311 for airplane and hotel use (Slingbox, Skype and NFL streaming (UK). Your input is exactly what I needed, mahalo ia oi. I will go for 2MB upgrade and DVD drive.
Four questions please...
1. for protection in carry on, what kind of case did you go for? Is it tough enough to do without one?
2. I have seen speaker sound is mono and very low and you need to upgrade realtek drivers. Any comments on that?
3. Will unit drive external monitors at higher res like WXGA?
4. Is the 8.5 hour battery life for real on videos and does it run hot? My old Toshiba laptop has a Sony battery so it rivals a Weber grill for cooking purposes.
The sound is, well, terrible. I carry headphones and I have USB speakers in case I want it to sound less terrible. I haven't updated the drivers, so I'll look into that. It is a low sound level.

It should drive external monitors at higher res, like Windows typically does, but I can't speak to it. Haven't tried it.

I bought a Targus $20 slipcover. It fits fine, even with the protruding battery.

I haven't traveled with it yet. Going on a trip today, but need my primary machine.

I have had some issues with a Skype video call freezing from time to time this morning.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Avios
Why go with ANY Netbook when you can get a REAL laptop...the Dell Inspiron 11Z.

It is lightweight (~3 lbs), has an excellent pricepoint (~$399) and more capability than netbooks.

At least that's my impression...am I wrong?

Last edited by ddschur; Aug 23, 2009 at 1:53 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.