Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Netbooks and the evolution towards larger machines...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Netbooks and the evolution towards larger machines...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Time will tell. I just bought a 10 inch Asus with the putative 10.5 hour battery. I am not traveling much this summer but a lot in the fall. My intention is to use it on trips where I will only need to have a computer for email, project management (I do that online) and a presentation. If I am writing a big project or something I will take my MB Air. I will see how it works, but on my one short trip this summer I loved having something that small with that kind of battery life.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by UScolorado1k
There is no way I would use my Lenovo S10 for "real work", however it is a great machine to take on vacation with me, the size and weight are just about perfect for travel and "light use".
It all depends on what "real work" is for folks. I can absolutely do all of my "real work" on my NetBook. There are times where I appreciate having a larger screen available and will hook up to an external monitor, but that is still the exception, not the rule. I wouldn't do CAD/CAM work or even try to render videos on it, but it turns out that the vast majority of my work is things like document production and server management, both readily and easily handled by my netbook.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:47 am
Suspended

The only netbook I have used is a 10" netbook. Some pages and google earth are not displayed properly on it. But I am happy with it because of the space and the weight. I could get used to a smaller one too, as long as my fingers get used to the keyboard.

I have a 17" laptop that I use at home. I use it at home in place of a desktop and I take it on a trip only when I am travelling on a trip where I will stay in one place and will not be transiting through many airports.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I'm finding all the netbook hype amusing - I've been travelling with Toshiba mini laptops for years and wouldn't swap them for anything. Currently on a R200 which, to me, is what a netbook should be!
Old Aug 10, 2009, 4:22 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I think the point being missed is that Netbooks were supposed to be cheap, simplistic appliance computers. You can get something that will at least let you browse the web and make a few Skype calls for under $400. Much less than that if you know where to look and/or you're willing to have a refurb. (Woot was selling the original 7" eee's for $150 and recently sold a some 9" ones for about $180.)
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
I'm finding all the netbook hype amusing - I've been travelling with Toshiba mini laptops for years and wouldn't swap them for anything. Currently on a R200 which, to me, is what a netbook should be!
Well, the big difference is the price - 2 years ago, a sub notebook would costs upwards of $2000. The Netbook has pushed that price down a LOT. It has also developed much better battery technology.

To me, the best thing to come out of the netbook is better power management and lower prices.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by ScottC
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Well, the big difference is the price - 2 years ago, a sub notebook would costs upwards of $2000. The Netbook has pushed that price down a LOT. It has also developed much better battery technology.

To me, the best thing to come out of the netbook is better power management and lower prices.
Yep. That is really the difference. You could get the latest carbon fiber Sony or whatever for years if you were willing to drop 4 grand. My MB Air with SSD was close to 3500 when it came out. That's like 9 times the price of my Asus.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ScottC
Well, the big difference is the price - 2 years ago, a sub notebook would costs upwards of $2000. The Netbook has pushed that price down a LOT. It has also developed much better battery technology. To me, the best thing to come out of the netbook is better power management and lower prices.
Seems very accurate to me on all counts.

If the ThinkPad 701C were coming out today instead of 10 years ago, it would be called a netbook! (And if was over $4000 when new)

Scott, I'm interested in your response to LIH's question.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem

What was the issue with the gateway? I thought you liked that one? You raved about it when you got it. I remember you liked the fact that it had a 64-bit processor, but I really didn't see why that mattered if you were just running a 32-bit OS on it. Since physical memory is limited, there isn't a lot of benefit if you install a 64-bit OS on it.

-David
Processor - plain and simple. The 1.2GHz processor was just fine for almost everything I did on it, but it just didn't do web video very well, nor did it handle Sling player streams without stuttering.

I love the form factor of the Gateway (and its Acer sister), I loved the high res display, I loved the keyboard. But that crippled AMD processor was too much to deal with.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It sounds, though, as if one's usual computing routine includes very little web video and no Sling-type stuff, it would be fine for running, say, Firefox with half a dozen tabs open, a word processor, and a pop3 email client?
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:47 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I am a fan of small laptops, but am not willing to sacrifice performance. In fact, my 12.1" Dell XPS M1210 does a great job. I use it as a desktop at home (plugged to a monitor, one USB hub that goes to keyboard, mouse, scanner, printer, everything). It has a 256MB NVIDIA video card which I use for editing videos and I have several on YouTube (I am Wiggums1 on YouTube - LINK). It's been a truly remarkable laptop.

I looked at Netbooks and realized they come with a crappy video card, most do not have a DVD/RW which mine does, and most use Windows XP. I prefer a full fledged desktop in the smallest dimension possible and the M1210 XPS fits the bill.

Unfortunately, Dell no longer sells M1210 - it's now 13" which is a little too big for me.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
It sounds, though, as if one's usual computing routine includes very little web video and no Sling-type stuff, it would be fine for running, say, Firefox with half a dozen tabs open, a word processor, and a pop3 email client?
Yeah, that and flash (youtube video) and low rez and maybe even medium rez video.

-David
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:19 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I had my Asus PC1000HA running 1280x720 DivX video with zero problems. It's not just resolution but also video codecs. Usually you'll have no probs with DivX.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braindrain
I had my Asus PC1000HA running 1280x720 DivX video with zero problems. It's not just resolution but also video codecs. Usually you'll have no probs with DivX.
The Gateway played HD files perfectly - but couldn't handle Hulu
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I always have IE, FF and some of Office 2007 (always Outlook, occasionally Word/Excel) open. I also will have Visual Studio, various remote console sessions and my accounting software open at various times.

No, I don't do video and I have no need for an optical drive. It meets my needs quite well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.