Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Can I Use My Kindle During Take-Off & Landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I Use My Kindle During Take-Off & Landing?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by flyingfran
Certainly the Kindle is not nearly as much risk as a projectile as a hard cover book would be. It only weighs a few ounces.
You haven't handled a Kindle DX have you?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by kingalien
You haven't handled a Kindle DX have you?
+1
Old Sep 15, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
guy sitting next to me yesterday, kindle on take off, kindle on landing. I asked him if it was an electronic device, he said it didn't use any power. I asked if it maybe had to use power when changing planes, "uh," why would it have an on/off switch.

I just cannot believe sometimes the audacity of people.

Another guy had his iphone on, NOT in pilot mode so he could get messages while landing. What a freaking idiot.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
guy sitting next to me yesterday, kindle on take off, kindle on landing. I asked him if it was an electronic device, he said it didn't use any power. I asked if it maybe had to use power when changing planes, "uh," why would it have an on/off switch.
If the radio is turned off, the Kindle generates far less EM output than a laptop in standby mode, and I bet there are dozens of those stowed on the aircraft (never mind the cell phones that people have stowed away in their luggage without turning them off). Unless you're turning the page, the Kindle is about as "off" as electronics get these days . . . again, assuming the radio is turned off. I usually keep my radio off because doing so dramatically increases the battery life.

I just cannot believe sometimes the audacity of people.
Sorry, but . . .

Another guy had his iphone on, NOT in pilot mode so he could get messages while landing. What a freaking idiot.
I agree with you there. While cell phone EMI hasn't been proven as a culprit in any aircraft accidents, the potential does exist (although aberrant behavior from cockpit electronics has only been shown under very extreme conditions).
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: United 1K (after 15 years GS) 3MM, Marriott LTTitanium
UA Announcement

On UA flight over the weekend the FA specifically included Kindles in her list of electronic items.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
I have used my Kindle during take-off and landing for the past few months. I always ask the FA, and none of them have requested that I turn it off. On my flight on Wednesday the pilot sat down next to me and wanted to see it because he had not seen it before. He took it to the cockpit and he and the co-pilot played with it.

The pilot said it did not create enough of an electrical signal to cause any type of problem during take-off or landing.

Clearly if any airline crew request that it be turned off, I would comply.

I obviously keep the wireless feature turned off, not only just on take-off and landing, but throughout the flight. Since it uses technology similar to a cell phone I think that it would not be appropriate to use that feature on the plane.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:15 pm
Pam

I have asked on every single flight since I got my Kindle in February, and on every flight have been told to turn it off.

Flying out of LHR a couple of weeks ago, was told I could keep it on, then the CSR(??) told me I definitely had to turn it off. After takeoff, he came to my seat and we had a long chat about it; he was curious and was pretty sure he was going to buy one.

But I've never been allowed to keep it on during TO and landing. I always forget to bring a magazine, so I almost memorize the airline magazine and the airmall catalog thing.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Most of the time I use it and don't get asked to turn it off. Occasionally, a flight attendant will request that I turn it off....I always comply.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I guess my previous point wasn't really clear. I'm not interested in debating how much EMF or wireless frequency broadcast device A or device B generates, and whether or not these types of transmission have a risk of interferring with avionics, onboard GPS, transmission, etc. The rule is, "turn off ALL ELECTRONIC DEVICES, ANYTHING WITH AN ON/OFF SWITCH" I just don't understand why individuals continue to think that they are smarter, or somehow above this law/requirement from the FAA and airlines. Why don't they choose NOT to put on their seatbelts, or put UP their tray tables, or maybe keep a large roller-board in the exit row, or maybe BE in the exit row with a cast on their leg and only able to speak and understand Romanian!?

I don't find it a huge loss of my time spent on the plane, for the simple period of 10 minutes after take-off, and 10 minutes BEFORE landing to just turn the $*@( OFF.

There is nobody on this planet who is so important or necessary that they must have a 1-3 minute advance read of their inbox, or final pages of any content on a kindle that they need to turn on their blackberry before landing, so it will download all content, or keep ANY electronic device on and POSSIBLY, if only in the most ridiculously small way risk anyone around them, if only that they may be totally distracted when an unforseen event occurs?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:20 am

I guess my previous point wasn't really clear. I'm not interested in debating how much EMF or wireless frequency broadcast device A or device B generates, and whether or not these types of transmission have a risk of interferring with avionics, onboard GPS, transmission, etc. The rule is, "turn off ALL ELECTRONIC DEVICES, ANYTHING WITH AN ON/OFF SWITCH" I just don't understand why individuals continue to think that they are smarter, or somehow above this law/requirement from the FAA and airlines. Why don't they choose NOT to put on their seatbelts, or put UP their tray tables, or maybe keep a large roller-board in the exit row, or maybe BE in the exit row with a cast on their leg and only able to speak and understand Romanian!?
Maybe some people just don't believe in mindlessly following rules because they are told to? Instead they want to understand the logic behind them? In the case of the of the electronic rules there is not much logic behind them unless you are flying in some ancient aircraft with absolutely no shielding of electronic components... Protip, turn your cell phone off in an vintage Piper Cub...
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
It's an electronic device and must be turned off along with everything else, IME. On my last flight, it was off and stowed in the seatback pocket. The FA came down the aisle and asked me to take my "laptop" out of the pocket. I told her it was a Kindle and she said, "What?". She had absolutely no idea what a Kindle was.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:30 am

I don't find it a huge loss of my time spent on the plane, for the simple period of 10 minutes after take-off, and 10 minutes BEFORE landing to just turn the $*@( OFF.

There is nobody on this planet who is so important or necessary that they must have a 1-3 minute advance read of their inbox, or final pages of any content on a kindle that they need to turn on their blackberry before landing, so it will download all content, or keep ANY electronic device on and POSSIBLY, if only in the most ridiculously small way risk anyone around them, if only that they may be totally distracted when an unforseen event occurs?
You must've skipped my stance on smartphones, which agrees with yours.

Regarding the Kindle: I won't object to stowing my Kindle as long as the flight crew also makes everyone else stow their books and magazines during takeoff and landing.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
"Amazon Kindle" an Electronic Device?

I was on 689 this morning ATL-DFW. The gentleman (if you can call him that) accross the aisle had his Kindle on the whole flight from at the gate in ATL to almost TD in DFW. I asked a FA if that is an electronic device. She said that she hadn't really thought about it and wasn't sure, than said that it does have an O/O switch, so it is. On the landing announcement, she included Kindle on the devices that need to be turned off. Well, Mr. Gentleman turned it off---until the FAs took their seats back (this happened at 0+30 before TD due to turbulence) and Mr. Kindle turned it back on until we were on final. I have two questions: Does anyone know if a Kindle is electronic (the FAs didn't say anything until I asked)?

I have not really flown F until this year (due to EXP), and it appears that more pax in F break rules than in Y. Am I the only one who observes that or am I imagining it? On other flights in F, I have observed pax turning on cellphones before td, getting up before at the gate, etc. I just don't remember as many "rules breakers" in Y. And if it is observed, does anyone say anything to the offender?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GLD, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club PLT, Hertz PC
yes, Kindle is an electronic device. It uses e-ink and it has an internal receiver (for wifi and mobile network connectivity).
Old Oct 9, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
I for one have lied and said my Kindle doesn't have an on/off switch. This worked in the past, but works less well now.

Either way, the interference won't make a difference, and I almost always turn mine back on as soon as the flight attendants have taken their seats. I do religiously turn off all *other* electronic devices, and I make sure to turn off the Kindle radio -- but to deprive one of reading material, takes it one too far.

Originally Posted by jlp187
yes, Kindle is an electronic device. It uses e-ink and it has an internal receiver (for wifi and mobile network connectivity).
So do some wristwatches -- but we aren't asked to turn those off for takeoff/landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.