FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Can I Use My Kindle During Take-Off & Landing? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/965923-can-i-use-my-kindle-during-take-off-landing.html)

flyingfran Jun 17, 2009 7:33 pm

Can I Use My Kindle During Take-Off & Landing?

My husband is tired of lugging around 20 paperbacks, and I have been converted to a Kindle Electronic Book. The device has two modes. When the "Wireless" mode is on I can purchase books from Amazon and they are instantly loaded onto the Kindle. I realize that this is not something I would be permitted to do. Because it uses battery power I keep the Wireless mode turned off all the time except when I am actually purchasing books.

The other mode is simply when the machine is "on" so I can read the book. I cannot imagine how reading my book from my Kindle would cause any electronic interference. Does anyone know if there is a policy on these devices, or will they just fall under the umbrella of "electronic device"?

The Kindle is always "on". There is always a screen-saver displayed. I just slide a bar to "wake" it up so I can read. I do not know how to turn it off. I assume it cannot be turned off.

I will probably have to take a paperback if I cannot use my Kindle. I do not do take-offs and landings very well without something to distract me.

Brituchenite Jun 17, 2009 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by flyingfran (Post 11925983)
My husband is tired of lugging around 20 paperbacks, and I have been converted to a Kindle Electronic Book. The device has two modes. When the "Wireless" mode is on I can purchase books from Amazon and they are instantly loaded onto the Kindle. I realize that this is not something I would be permitted to do. Because it uses battery power I keep the Wireless mode turned off all the time except when I am actually purchasing books.

The other mode is simply when the machine is "on" so I can read the book. I cannot imagine how reading my book from my Kindle would cause any electronic interference. Does anyone know if there is a policy on these devices, or will they just fall under the umbrella of "electronic device"?

The Kindle is always "on". There is always a screen-saver displayed. I just slide a bar to "wake" it up so I can read. I do not know how to turn it off. I assume it cannot be turned off.

I will probably have to take a paperback if I cannot use my Kindle. I do not do take-offs and landings very well without something to distract me.

I would imagine if it has an "on-off" switch, then it will need to be off for take-off and landings. Usually the FAs will announce "anything with an on-off switch needs to be turned off".

AndyTLe Jun 17, 2009 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Brituchenite (Post 11926006)
I would imagine if it has an "on-off" switch, then it will need to be off for take-off and landings. Usually the FAs will announce "anything with an on-off switch needs to be turned off".

This was my thought too, but the rules can't keep up.

dickinson Jun 17, 2009 7:45 pm

I think you will have a problem with the FA if you try to use it during takeoff and landing. It definitely is an electronic device. I doubt that saying that it won't interfere with the plane's electronics will persuade the FA to let you use it. In my opinion, you would be inviting an unpleasant confrontation, and who needs one of those?

mersk862 Jun 17, 2009 7:47 pm

If it's electronic and has an on/off switch, it's required by the FARs to be off below 10,000 feet. Not a DL regulation, but a federal one.

fredpeckville Jun 17, 2009 7:52 pm

I really don't know what I'm talking about. But I seem to remember reading that the kindle doesn't use any power to keep things on the screen it only uses power to change the image. OTOH it looks like it's electronic so atleast at some point an FA is going to get mad.

StayingHomeIsBetter Jun 17, 2009 7:58 pm

You can download a user's guide from here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...jV9dwnVADfXLzg

From the User's Guide:

Wireless Safety
In general, turn the wireless switch on your Kindle to the OFF position in areas where its use is forbidden or when it may cause interference or danger. Some specific situations are described below.

In general, any place you are not allowed to use your cell phone, you should not use your Kindle with the wireless service turned on.

Turn Off Wireless When Flying
Turn off your wireless service before boarding any aircraft. To prevent possible interference with aircraft systems, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations require you to have permission from a crew member to use your device’s wireless service while the plane is on the
ground.

If you have your wireless service turned off, you can use your Kindle for reading once a crew member has said it is okay to use approved electronic devices.
[Emphasis is mine]

Looks like use during takeoff and landing would be a NO.

But you will probably get some responses here that such rules do not apply to FlyerTalk members.

DevilDog438 Jun 17, 2009 8:04 pm

It has the capability of being turned off, per the user guide. Plus, based on the size, I would expect that you may also be asked to stow it properly, under the seat in front of you or in an overhead compartment (see the other threads on the seatback pocket issues).

flyingfran Jun 17, 2009 8:09 pm

The Kindle does not have an "on"-"off" switch. If the wireless device is turned off it is not using any electronic signal or energy. However, if you look at it, it looks like there is a screen-saver and that it is in some "resting" status which would imply that it is pulling some type of power.

I imagine if a FA sees it she will assume it is turned "on". I keep thinking I should be able to turn it off so I have a blank screen, but I cannot do it.

I expect I shall have to keep it in my purse until we reach altitude and attempt to divert my attention with a magazine.

deltame Jun 17, 2009 8:13 pm

To the OP: Kindle (at least kindle 2) can be easily turned off by sliding & holding the switch for about 10 sec or so.

I have taken my kindle 2 on a number of flights this year and have yet to be reminded by FA to turn it off during take off (or landing, albeit I didn't actually use it during landing).

flyingfran Jun 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Just tried that, and it did not work. I will call the Kindle number at Amazon tomorrow and see. I do not know what model I have. It was a mother's day gift, and arrived in a package, turned on, and loaded with several new best-sellers. One little card of information, but no instructions. I am reading through the User's Guide again now.

Thanks for the help. I guess I knew the answer, but since it was not specifically mentioned in the banned items, I hoped it would be OK to use it.

tracyutah Jun 17, 2009 8:42 pm

As previous mentioned, slide the switch at the top and hold it for 5-10 seconds. The screen will go blank rather than display the screen saver. This is "off."

JSFox Jun 17, 2009 8:45 pm

Kindle's CANNOT be turned off. There is no ON/OFF switch.

The wireless system CAN be turned off.

Sliding the switch and holding for 10 sec puts a screensaver on the screen. This has NO impact on the kindle being ON/OFF.

On 6 flights I've asked pilots in front of the FA's if it's OK to read a Kindle since it does not have an ON/OFF switch and all I can do is close the cover. 4 pilots have said reading them during takeoff/landing is find but just make sure the wireless is off.

flyingfran Jun 17, 2009 9:05 pm

I knew all you technical people would answer this question. I just turned it off. It was scary to get it to turn back on, so I do not know if I will try that again. It should have come on within five seconds. I took me nearly three minutes to get it to turn back on, and I had to keep holding the slide switch in place for 20 to 25 seconds.

I will simply put it into my carry-on in the same place I keep my spare paperback, and then remove it once we are at altitude. I do not really think that an FA is going to start going through every carry-on to see if the Kindle is turned off or is just "sleeping".

I am aware of the back of the seat storage issue. I have seen FAs remove personal material from the seat back pockets several times this year. I won't put my Kindle there.

Thanks for the help.

obscure2k Jun 17, 2009 9:27 pm

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Travel Technology Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator