Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Can I Use My Kindle During Take-Off & Landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I Use My Kindle During Take-Off & Landing?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JSFox
Kindle's CANNOT be turned off. There is no ON/OFF switch.

Sliding the switch and holding for 10 sec puts a screensaver on the screen. This has NO impact on the kindle being ON/OFF.
For the Kindle 2, at least, this is wrong. Sliding the switch and NOT holding it puts the screensaver on. Sliding the switch and holding it for 10 seconds turns the Kindle off.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
I only speak from Kindle DX experience. Sliding the switch and quickly releasing will enable a screensaver of sorts or turn it back on for reading. Sliding and holding the switch for four seconds will put the unit in power-saving mode with a blank screen. Sliding and holding the switch for 15 seconds or longer will reset the device.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:19 pm

No

If I can't use my MP3 player on takeoff or landing then I am 150 percent positive that you cannot use your Kindle. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the good news is that you can use it once the seatbelt sign switches off. Too bad t he American airlines do not adopt the 10,000 feet rule that European carriers use when turning the seatbelt sign on or off. An aircraft is safe at 10,000 feet its the takeoff and landing which could pose the most problems once you are leveled off there is usually not a problem.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:54 am

I agree that a Kindle won't interfere with the airplane's electrical system, but this argument will never win. Lots of people cheat and put their device in standby mode on planes (watch how quick Blackberry users get their e-mail on landing, a fully powered down Blackberry takes three to four minutes to be brought back to life), reading the Kindle, however makes you a target.

Grab one of the free magazines or papers in the airline lounge to get you through take off or landing or get a paperback of short stories. Don't get a novel because you will get hooked and tempted to finish it before the week is over.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
An FA had my seatmate turn off his Kindle for landing on UA a few weeks ago.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:25 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
I have seen a fellow pax use one during TO and Landing. We were if F, he was in the aisle seat and it was very obvious he was reading it. Several FAs passed by at various times after the door was closed and not one said a word. Don't know if this is policy or he got lucky being in F.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:32 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
You need to turn it OFF or put it away, else when attempting to get off the plane, the flight attendant will physically restrained you and grab your shoulders so that you cannot get off.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ied-about.html
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bwhite
I have seen a fellow pax use one during TO and Landing. We were if F, he was in the aisle seat and it was very obvious he was reading it. Several FAs passed by at various times after the door was closed and not one said a word. Don't know if this is policy or he got lucky being in F.
This has been my experience too.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
of course

Originally Posted by flyingfran
The Kindle does not have an "on"-"off" switch. If the wireless device is turned off it is not using any electronic signal or energy. However, if you look at it, it looks like there is a screen-saver and that it is in some "resting" status which would imply that it is pulling some type of power.

I imagine if a FA sees it she will assume it is turned "on". I keep thinking I should be able to turn it off so I have a blank screen, but I cannot do it.

I expect I shall have to keep it in my purse until we reach altitude and attempt to divert my attention with a magazine.
of course this is an on/off switch. While the screen image is not using any energy to continue to display whatever image is on it, the machine is ON when switched to ON and ready to accept input from the buttons, next page or joystick. That would mean that as an electronic device, it is ON and producing whatever EME or EMF the airlines and FAA are trying to avoid during TO/Landing.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
I have a Kindle 1 and never have the wireless on while on a plane, but I never bother to turn the unit off completely. I think it's hit or miss as to whether an FA will stop you from reading the Kindle while taking off or landing. If they realize that it's an electronic device, they probably will, but at a quick glance the Kindle looks like a book and will often go unnoticed. But no FA is going to check to see if the unit is actually turned off.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:08 pm

I've had a Kindle now (first the 1, then the 2) for about a year and a half. I've flown with it all over the place, both domestic and international.

Both the K1 and the K2 (almost certainly what the OP has) have an "off" switch, as has been discussed upthread. Given the way the Kindle works, I see no reason why you actually need to turn it "off" as opposed to putting it into sleep mode. It isn't emitting any signals or using any power while in sleep mode. It isn't like an LCD screen.

As to reading the Kindle during takeoff/landing, no, you aren't suposed to. Whether people get away with it (and if you're in a window seat and using a cover, it's not surprising that you could) is another matter. I bring a couple of magazines with me and read those during this time -- together they still weigh less than a paperback and I can leave them behind when done.

I generally leave the Kindle in the seatback pocket during takeoff for easy access after I hear the "ding" and I've never been told not to. I think an FA would have a hard time seeing it was even there without physically opening the pocket.

The wireless, obviously, should be off at all times.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kingalien
I only speak from Kindle DX experience. Sliding the switch and quickly releasing will enable a screensaver of sorts or turn it back on for reading. Sliding and holding the switch for four seconds will put the unit in power-saving mode with a blank screen. Sliding and holding the switch for 15 seconds or longer will reset the device.
The controls are the same on the K2. The K1 is different but has similar features.

The easy answer is that by the book (har har har) it is supopsed to be off. But I've had mine on through many, many take offs and landings. When the FAs tell me to put it away I do. Otherwise i keep reading.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by sbm12
The controls are the same on the K2. The K1 is different but has similar features.

The easy answer is that by the book (har har har) it is supopsed to be off. But I've had mine on through many, many take offs and landings. When the FAs tell me to put it away I do. Otherwise i keep reading.
ditto
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
Not sure what I will do. I have packed a couple of magazines, and I will probably read those. I have never broken an airline rule, and probably do not want to start over just a few minutes when I cannot read my novel.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:05 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by mikel51
ditto
+1 on that. I've been asked once to turn it off. Even sat across from an FA who was in the jumpseat and was asking me about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.