[archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
I don't believe that iPod Touch 2nd generations get iOS5.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Warning - If you are planning to download movies to your iPad be sure to allow plenty of time! We rented 2 via iTunes last night and it took at least an hour for each one using our highspeed 12MPS connection. At least we are all set now for our Alaska flights to Hawaii $4.99 is a bit steep, but it's cheaper than redbox and beats carrying DVDs for a week not to mention laptop batteries that die mid-flight. The major downside is the lack of titles, but hopefully that will change.

I hear you can get movies on the kindle as well. Can anyone compare?

Edit: I see that Amazon undercuts Apple by $1 ($3.99 v. $4.99 per rental) but the movie inventory appears to be equally mediocre if not inferior. And Kindle Fire has less battery life, much less storage space and 7" screen v. iPad 10" - so it would appear Fire is not really ready for prime time to replace DVDs or laptops, but maybe useful if you don't have other options or don't want to spend additional $$$.

Last edited by Boraxo; Oct 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by RoninTech
No, Cydia is for jailbroken devices and jailbroken != unlocked.
Jailbroken does not equal unlocked. You need to jailbreak to unlock, but jailbreak does not equal unlock. You jailbreak also to gain functionality of your phone that Apple has not approved.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by weekilter
Jailbroken does not equal unlocked. You need to jailbreak to unlock, but jailbreak does not equal unlock. You jailbreak also to gain functionality of your phone that Apple has not approved.
Perhaps someone should learn what the != symbol means?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Perhaps someone should learn what the != symbol means?
Not everyone codes.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
HD vs. SD

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Warning - If you are planning to download movies to your iPad be sure to allow plenty of time! We rented 2 via iTunes last night and it took at least an hour for each one using our highspeed 12MPS connection. At least we are all set now for our Alaska flights to Hawaii $4.99 is a bit steep, but it's cheaper than redbox and beats carrying DVDs for a week not to mention laptop batteries that die mid-flight. The major downside is the lack of titles, but hopefully that will change.

I hear you can get movies on the kindle as well. Can anyone compare?

Edit: I see that Amazon undercuts Apple by $1 ($3.99 v. $4.99 per rental) but the movie inventory appears to be equally mediocre if not inferior. And Kindle Fire has less battery life, much less storage space and 7" screen v. iPad 10" - so it would appear Fire is not really ready for prime time to replace DVDs or laptops, but maybe useful if you don't have other options or don't want to spend additional $$$.

you might see if next time you can select the SD version,

1) it is cheaper, 2.99-3.99 for the SD version of a movie
2) it is SMALLER, I download feature movies in about 15 minutes on just a 6MB dsl connection. Yes, It takes planning but not more than 1 hour for 3-4 movies
3) takes up MUCH less space on smaller device - of course
4) I CAN tell the difference between the HD and SD version, but after 30 seconds I don't care. IMHO on the ipad or iphone it makes NO difference. The SD version is great, the HD is only really good to download if you are going to transfer to an apple tv, pc or stream with airplay to an apple tv.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by Boraxo
...$4.99 is a bit steep, but it's cheaper than redbox....
Can't you return Redbox DVDs to any Redbox? Get the DVDs before you go to the airport, watch during the flight, return them when you arrive at your destination?

That doesn't help me though, because my laptop doesn't have an optical disk drive
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Picked up my new iPod Touch yesterday and can confirm, wifi finder doesn't work with IOS5.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:30 am

Nifty iOS5 Tricks

You can find 7 "hidden" new features of iOS5 in this article.

They include:
  • User-Defined Keyboard Shortcuts (imagine the fun when your friend starts an email "Hi Mom" and the iPhone auto-substitutes "I've decided to move to North Korea."
  • Custom Vibration patterns
  • LED Flashes for alerts, instead of sounds or vibrations
  • Instant Definitions of words
  • Private Browsing in Safari
  • Check Memory Footprint of apps, delete the piggy ones
  • Alternate Routes on Google Maps

There are more in the 175+ comments after the article.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
You can find 7 "hidden" new features of iOS5 in this article.

They include:
  • User-Defined Keyboard Shortcuts (imagine the fun when your friend starts an email "Hi Mom" and the iPhone auto-substitutes "I've decided to move to North Korea."
  • Custom Vibration patterns
  • LED Flashes for alerts, instead of sounds or vibrations
  • Instant Definitions of words
  • Private Browsing in Safari
  • Check Memory Footprint of apps, delete the piggy ones
  • Alternate Routes on Google Maps

There are more in the 175+ comments after the article.
Anything that doesn't already work under jailbroken IOS 4? No? Didn't think so.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Does anyone have a favorite app for notifying you if there has been a change in aircraft or your seating for one of your itineraries? I just purchased an iPhone and attempted to search for a useful app but can't seem to find a clear answer. If it matters, most of my flights are currently on DL - which all too often changes my seat without letting me know to a crappy seat in the rear of the aircraft after there has been a change in aircraft. My future plans will involve more flights on AA and UA/CO, tho.

The "My Flights" app appears to provide a push notification of aircraft or seat changes but this app gets a relatively low rating, and seems most useful only for flights booked via Amadeus.

I looked at "FlightTrack Pro" and "FlightUpdate Pro" but these don't seem to give you an automatic update on aircraft or seating changes.

If the above info is not correct please let me know. Apologies in advance if this topic has been extensively discussed earlier but I couldn't find the info after searching. Thanks in advance for any comments!
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Pageonce does seat changes; don't know about aircraft changes.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Sad news about one of my favorite iPhone apps: WiFiTrak. According to the developer, it won't work under iOS5.
My iPhone contract with ATT expires in early January. My thinking is to cancel it at that time and get a 4S from Verizon, but keep the ATT phone in order to use its WiFiTrak app when traveling internationally.

I might even jailbreak the old ATT phone at that time
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:52 pm

Thumbs up LastPass

LastPass - I can't live without it on my home PC, and it's also on my iPhone. Lets you access text notes securely, as well as all your password protected web sites.

Last edited by bix-nc; Oct 19, 2011 at 1:53 pm Reason: word added
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.2mm), SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
Does anyone have a favorite app for notifying you if there has been a change in aircraft or your seating for one of your itineraries? !
Is this really a big deal for you? I'm curious because I've flown 60+ segments this year and have not had a single equipment change. They are pretty rare in my experience and probably not worth spending a lot of time tracking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.