Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendation for laptop "desk"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2008, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Recommendation for laptop "desk"

I'm looking for one of those things to put on your lap and put your laptop on top of. It doesn't necessarily need to be a cooling one, but just something that removes the electronics and heat slightly away from my thighs. Any recommendations (or warnings) based on personal experience?

Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2008, 6:10 pm

I have mixed feelings regarding the Rubbermaid/Rolodex metal unit. It does great with separating you from the heat of the laplop. The problem is that it can cut into your thighs just above your knees if you cross your legs. It has flat pads on the corners which normally works fine.

The unit seems to do a good job of cooling without a fan. It has metal mesh over much of the bottom and the angle can be adjusted easily.

Some of the versions come with usb/power hubs which clip on the back but I would not find those useful. I think I purchase mine at Walmart for about $20 a year ago but can't find it on their site anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Rolodex-82410-...5475170&sr=8-1
Old Jul 7, 2008, 6:26 pm
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
I am sitting here with my laptop on its usual cafeteria tray. It works well for me. (I did not steal it - someone else did)
Old Jul 7, 2008, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
When I'm home, I use one with a beanbag bottom like this all the time:
http://snipurl.com/2umc7 [www_mileskimball_com]. This model is wide enough for using a mouse.

Sometimes you can find them locally in office supply stores and Bed, Bath, & Beyond, especially in August and September, or on ebay.

On the road I keep a Targus thin, folding laptop desk in my computer case. It, too, is wide enough for a mouse; but I have to use an open file folder under it if I'm wearing shorts. Otherwise, the bottom of the desk leaves funny lines in the legs.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I recommended in a different thread:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-R1...5477116&sr=8-4
Old Jul 7, 2008, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Right now I'm using a wooden lapdesk I bought at Bed, Bath & Beyond. The padded bottom is solid foam. Large enough to use a mouse.

I had a plastic one w/ a beanbag botton, which was great until the fabric started pulling away from the plastic and the foam pellets began escaping...
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:35 pm

Staples sells one that works really well. It's a wooden lap desk with the little "bean bag" underside.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by ScottC
As I recommended in a different thread:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-R1...5477116&sr=8-4
As I also mentioned there, I'm pretty happy with Lapinator. I bought it with the Mousitizer attachment which provides mouse pad functionality for an external mouse.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:49 am

I have the absolute best. It's about 28" wide by 16" deep, and seems to be made of 1/4" plywood. What makes it the absolute best?

1) It has a cutout on one side that accommodates my gut, very useful. ^
2) It has my name burnished into the top, and is decorated with lots of funny and interesting symbols. ^
3) It was made by my son in shop class about 10 years ago. ^^^
Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jabrams72
I'm looking for one of those things to put on your lap and put your laptop on top of. It doesn't necessarily need to be a cooling one, but just something that removes the electronics and heat slightly away from my thighs. Any recommendations (or warnings) based on personal experience?

Thanks!
BTW; you don't mention whether you need it for at home or for on the road.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA GS
iLap

check this out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.