Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel with 42" LCD HDTV

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Travel with 42" LCD HDTV

We are about to saddle a "lucky" raffle winner at a convention near ORD this weekend with a 42-inch LCD HDTV. Almost all of the convention participants will be flying in.

The LCD is in the box from Best Buy. It looks decently cushioned for travel from Best Buy to a house, but I am very, VERY nervous about it making it to its final destination intact.

Are we insane to even consider the possibility that our winner might try to fly back home with their prize? Considering size alone, the box by itself is "acceptable" but under UA and AA rules it is both oversize (95 linear inches) and overweight (55 pounds). Even assuming that the oversize/overweight fees ($250) would be paid, would the LCD even have a prayer of making it home intact?

If we don't send it with our winner as airline baggage, what are our other options (and is sending it in only the original box even an option)? We are trying to figure out if sending it in the original box via FedEx/UPS/DHL is a viable option (i.e., without finding and using another exterior box for cushioning).

I'm hoping that some convention coordinator / attendee will have experience with this problem...

Last edited by QuantumMeruit; Jun 24, 2008 at 10:58 pm Reason: Clarification re: shipping alternatives
Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Why would you do this to someone?

Return the one you will display at the show. Arrange to have them pick it up at their local Best Buy, or have it shipped from Best Buy. They often have free shipping, and it would be much easier on everyone involved!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Ship it via UPS and insure it. You'll have to pay oversize fees, but it'll be a lot cheaper than $250. I ran a 40 x 4 x 35 in box, 55 lbs, insured for $2000 on the UPS site, and it came to around $61.00 (sample shipment from Orlando, Fl to Detroit, MI)

I own a 42 inch set, and the box is HUGE. No one in their right mind would attempt to check this as baggage.

edit: changed the width to 10 inches and it came to prox $68.00

Last edited by jcherney; Jun 24, 2008 at 10:52 pm Reason: add
Old Jun 24, 2008, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

It's a raffle prize. Unfortunately, the Best Buy that donated the prize insisted on clearing the unit out of their inventory and so we could not drop-ship or arrange for distant pickup.

And I agree that UPS is looking like the best option.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:10 am
KTW

And for those well heeled who must travel with their fav screen etc...

http://beaconwwb.com/store/SKBI6.html
http://www.rackmountsolutions.net/SK...creen_Case.asp
http://www.1-800-plasmas.net/index.p...ategory_id=161
http://www.idjnow.com/StoreModules/S...archButton.y=0
http://www.cozainc.com/index.asp?Pag...OD&ProdID=1196
Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:14 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
I saw someone in BKK check in a large screen about a 62 inch size a few days ago, so it can be done I am sure, they used the regular box and nothing else. But international is very different then domestic. UPS is best bet.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would assume the winner is responsible for the transportation. Who knows he might live close-by or in Moscow.

MisterNice
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:36 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Do you have another vendor at the convention who would be willing to donate the cost of shipping in exchange for some additional exposure at the event?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:41 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Larrude
Do you have another vendor at the convention who would be willing to donate the cost of shipping in exchange for some additional exposure at the event?
Beat me to it. The last thing you want is to win a prize that costs you money. Either UPS or Fedex could donate the shipping, or you might eat it as part of your promotion.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:44 am
Suspended

DErrrrrrrrrr let me think, trucks, delivery oh yeah Fed, Ex , UPS etc etc etc etc welcome to the real world
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Split the difference in UPS costs with a vendor. The reason I say split the difference: put another box around it.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Awarding someone a gigantic television on the spot with the expectation that they'll check it on their homebound flight sounds completely insane to me.

The main thing the winner is going to remember is the hassle factor.

Show them a picture of the television -- and get the address where they want it shipped.

When my company does premiums, raffle prizes, etc. at remote locations we make sure they're carry-on friendly. An enormous TV seems to be to be the very definition of an insensitive prize. Well, one notch below a live alpaca.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:06 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by MisterNice
I would assume the winner is responsible for the transportation.
The good news: You won a $2000 TV!

The bad news: It's going to cost you $1000 to get it home!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
UPS is the last carrier I would consider. First of all, they mandate packing an OEM box in a larger box with 4" of foam on all six sides. Translation: we aren't going to be careful with your shipment, so you're on your own.

Second, they will wiggle, duck, and dodge to avoid paying an insurance claim. I lost several thousand dollars because of their questionable claim practices.

I have used FedEx Ground several hundred times without incident. I would trust them with the LCD in the OEM box without hesitation - but filling in all the voids in the box with loose fill would improve my comfort factor..

Last edited by CessnaJock; Jun 25, 2008 at 2:54 pm
Old Jul 4, 2008, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, WN
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Why would you do this to someone?

Return the one you will display at the show. Arrange to have them pick it up at their local Best Buy, or have it shipped from Best Buy. They often have free shipping, and it would be much easier on everyone involved!
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.