Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Got Samsung Blackjack-- doesn't work

Old Nov 16, 06, 3:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Looks cool as hell, great features, great potential.

Been on w/ Cingular all day-- now they are on with Samsung.

EDIT TO ADD:
-Finally- got the right person on the phone at Cingular who knew how to get my phone working again-- "deleted my profile" (which I gather was polluted on their end with WAP settings from my Razr)

Still not sure about the dropped calls..

Last edited by JonNYC; Nov 16, 06 at 5:21 pm
Old Nov 17, 06, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
jon, I know it is only a day later but any updates. I have been waiting for cingular to release 8525 (they did yesterday) and treo 680 to make a decision then out of the blue along came this samsung..
Curious what made you decide on this over and what type plan are you using especially for international data.. Does cingular have a plan which includes that.
Old Nov 18, 06, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by nytango
jon, I know it is only a day later but any updates. I have been waiting for cingular to release 8525 (they did yesterday) and treo 680 to make a decision then out of the blue along came this samsung..
Curious what made you decide on this over and what type plan are you using especially for international data.. Does cingular have a plan which includes that.
Got the Blackjack yesterday and I'm not too thrilled with it.
Been used to a Treo 650 and not sure this is going to be a good replacement.
The size is great, battery stinks (you could've predicted that when they gave you 2 in the box). One selling point is 3G is extremely fast but is a huge drain on the battery.
I think it's going back and I will wait for the Treo 750 which will have 3G too.
Old Nov 18, 06, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I had just seen this phone on Cingular yesterday and was thinking of getting it. Samsung also makes the 8125 which I don't like but it seems the charger from my blackberry and RAZR also work with the Samsung phones so even though the battery life isn't great, I can charge it off and outlet or off my computer.

I am interested in hearing more about what people think.
Old Nov 18, 06, 12:42 pm

You will hear that the battery is terrible
Old Nov 19, 06, 12:22 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
We have the i320 all over here at work. Great form factor but the battery life is AWFUL. No problems with dropped calls though... still, it is a good phone but if you come across an unlocked T-mobile Dash, GRAB it. The battery life is much better, the form factor is similar and overall it's a better device.
Old Nov 20, 06, 6:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

update

Oddly, almost all on-line user review sites (phonescoop, cnet) have universally positive input from actual owners-- no problems reported that I've seen.

Two of my friends that bought the same day I did have already returned their's. I'm keeping for now.
One friend has very advanced needs, me not so much-- here's some back-and-fourth...

Thanks for copying me on this, Jon - and Aaron I certainly agree that you've been great. Is there someone at Cingular to whom we could send a nice note about you?

About the Blackjack: even assuming that the software stabilizes over time and is easily updated on the device, I'd need these Java issues fixed if I'm to keep it. We all know what a ....... stepchild Java is on Windows platforms, so I'm not amazed that it's tough to get running smoothly, but if there's really no way to run these popular Java apps (Google Maps, Gmail, Idokorro SSH) then I just don't get much benefit from the device.

And it would need to really work well for me to overlook all the little inelegances in Windows Mobile - can't thumb-wheel across the MRU items, can't shortcut the speakerphone if the screen is asleep, "More..." moves from the LSK to the last menu item - yes, I'm a user-interface geek!
Yeah, I'm the other kind of user; I've now edited the XML of the home screen to have smaller icons, not show the profile (since it's easy to change by pressing the on/off button), show all my unread mail, SMS, and voicemail counts on one line, &c.

If there's really no way to let Google Maps connect to the map server without asking permission every few seconds that's retarded and I'm likely to switch to the Palm 680 when that comes out later this month. But if there's some unsolvable problem with Java applications so that I can't run an SSH client,
Have you installed any Java apps on your Blackjack? I have Google Maps Mobile, Gmail Mobile, and an SSH client - and they all seem to ignore the keyboard. Makes them pretty useless...
And, here's what I sent to Cingular C.S. yesterday:
I know my friend has corresponded with you a bit about problems with his Blackjack. His needs are quite advanced, I would say-- mine are far simpler, however, we're both having the same problem on one level-- this phone is riddled with bugs. I have 2 other friends who bought it first day and all have weird, random problems. Phone will freeze upon receiving a call, dropped calls, odd OS freakiness, freezing, "crashing"-- you name it-- the list is too long to even go into, IMHO, Samsung REALLY rushed this thing out before it was ready.

However-- I love the little F-er! It's a beautifully designed unit. If I am to return it under the 30-day policy, I'd be sad to see it go, SO, my question;

No doubt Samsung/Cingular will do work to fix it over time, but, in your opinion, would that only help people who bought this thing in x months (when it's ready and bug-free) or if I keep mine, is it reasonable to expect I'll be able to update the firmware either a) right over the network b) a self install app downloaded from Samsung or c) sending it in to Samsung for flashing? As it is now, it just isn't keepable and but if a few weeks/months of in-the-field will yield bug fixes, I can use my Razr till then.

BTW, you've been SUPER helpful and fantastic-- Cingular is very lucky to have people like you dealing with it's customers.

Thanks again for any guidance you might be able to offer-- and thanks for all the help!
Old Nov 21, 06, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Funny, I haven't noticed any of the bugs you mentioned at all on my Cingular BlackJack!

I've got phone version i607UCFJE -- is that different than yours?

Mine has run smoothly with no problems since I bought it. Haven't made up my mind whether I'm going to keep this or go for a Blackberry but so far I'm very pleased with the BlackJack. ^
Old Dec 3, 06, 7:03 pm

Do you have any problems with typing?
Like delays and such?
Old Dec 3, 06, 9:19 pm
jab

Programs: EXP AA, PLT Marriott
I am a little suprised that support for java apps from Google would be expected for WM5. They do see themselves as competitors and WM5 doesn't have market share yet.

I played with the blackjack in OZ a few months back. I am really tempted to get one, but am not thrilled to hear about some of the issues that have turned up.
Old Dec 3, 06, 10:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JeremyG5 View Post
Do you have any problems with typing?
Like delays and such?
Nope, that's one problem I definitely haven't had-- you can "outspeed" the input a bit, but not a problem for me.
Old Dec 5, 06, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Well I have jsut ordered mine today. $174 from Cingular and I should have it in 2 days.

"ouspeeding" is something I will be checking out as I normally a pretty check text messaging addict. The Cingular 2125 and 8125 didn't ahve a hope of keeping up but my Blackbeery and RAZR were great!

I will give it a try!
Old Dec 5, 06, 4:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

dismal battery life work-'round

The only way to get anywhere near decent battery life is to switch from 3G to Edge when not 3G not required-- literally doubles battery life.

Here's how:

"...After some searching, I found that G3 technology sucks the life out of the battery. With the below fix, my battery life went from 8 hours to 2 days! So here is the fix to make the phone use "Edge" instead of G3. The major difference won't be noticeable unless you use it as a tethered device, in which case just switch back to G3 when using it as such (takes 10 seconds to do).
1. Enter *#1546792*#
2. Select Option 3 Netowrk & Call Settings
3. Select option 5 Network Mode
4. Select GSM

There is no shortcut for this code, but I save the code as "G3" as a contact so I can easily reference the code when needed."
Old Dec 5, 06, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Here's what some are doing to create a shortcut to accomplish bandchanges:

1) Connect your phone to your PC.
2) Click on Explore in ActiveSync
3) Navigate to the Windows Directory
4) Find and right-click on the bandsel.exe program
5) Choose 'Create Shortcut'
6) Rename the shortcut created (at the end of the directory) to Band Select
7) Cut the shortcut
8) Navigate to the StartMenu folder
9) Paste the shortcut there
10) If you wish you could create a Speed Dial by navigating to the shortcut in the start munu from the phone, clicking Menu, then 'Add Speed Dial'
http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=248804

Maybe something like this via an adminsettings thing to do the 3G enabling/disabling:

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/fo...?p=81131#81131

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 5, 06 at 5:11 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: