FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Got Samsung Blackjack-- doesn't work
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2006, 6:38 pm
JonNYC
Suspended

update

Oddly, almost all on-line user review sites (phonescoop, cnet) have universally positive input from actual owners-- no problems reported that I've seen.

Two of my friends that bought the same day I did have already returned their's. I'm keeping for now.
One friend has very advanced needs, me not so much-- here's some back-and-fourth...

Thanks for copying me on this, Jon - and Aaron I certainly agree that you've been great. Is there someone at Cingular to whom we could send a nice note about you?

About the Blackjack: even assuming that the software stabilizes over time and is easily updated on the device, I'd need these Java issues fixed if I'm to keep it. We all know what a ....... stepchild Java is on Windows platforms, so I'm not amazed that it's tough to get running smoothly, but if there's really no way to run these popular Java apps (Google Maps, Gmail, Idokorro SSH) then I just don't get much benefit from the device.

And it would need to really work well for me to overlook all the little inelegances in Windows Mobile - can't thumb-wheel across the MRU items, can't shortcut the speakerphone if the screen is asleep, "More..." moves from the LSK to the last menu item - yes, I'm a user-interface geek!
Yeah, I'm the other kind of user; I've now edited the XML of the home screen to have smaller icons, not show the profile (since it's easy to change by pressing the on/off button), show all my unread mail, SMS, and voicemail counts on one line, &c.

If there's really no way to let Google Maps connect to the map server without asking permission every few seconds that's retarded and I'm likely to switch to the Palm 680 when that comes out later this month. But if there's some unsolvable problem with Java applications so that I can't run an SSH client,
Have you installed any Java apps on your Blackjack? I have Google Maps Mobile, Gmail Mobile, and an SSH client - and they all seem to ignore the keyboard. Makes them pretty useless...
And, here's what I sent to Cingular C.S. yesterday:
I know my friend has corresponded with you a bit about problems with his Blackjack. His needs are quite advanced, I would say-- mine are far simpler, however, we're both having the same problem on one level-- this phone is riddled with bugs. I have 2 other friends who bought it first day and all have weird, random problems. Phone will freeze upon receiving a call, dropped calls, odd OS freakiness, freezing, "crashing"-- you name it-- the list is too long to even go into, IMHO, Samsung REALLY rushed this thing out before it was ready.

However-- I love the little F-er! It's a beautifully designed unit. If I am to return it under the 30-day policy, I'd be sad to see it go, SO, my question;

No doubt Samsung/Cingular will do work to fix it over time, but, in your opinion, would that only help people who bought this thing in x months (when it's ready and bug-free) or if I keep mine, is it reasonable to expect I'll be able to update the firmware either a) right over the network b) a self install app downloaded from Samsung or c) sending it in to Samsung for flashing? As it is now, it just isn't keepable and but if a few weeks/months of in-the-field will yield bug fixes, I can use my Razr till then.

BTW, you've been SUPER helpful and fantastic-- Cingular is very lucky to have people like you dealing with it's customers.

Thanks again for any guidance you might be able to offer-- and thanks for all the help!