Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

anyone planning to sleep in Toys R Us parking lot tonight for Wii or PS3 preorders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone planning to sleep in Toys R Us parking lot tonight for Wii or PS3 preorders?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2006, 7:20 am
DebbieS

I know my nephew and niece are dying to get their little paws on the new Nintendo Wii. Since I know their parents refuse to get it, what better way to annoy them then to get it myself, and give it to the little ones when I visit them this Thanksgiving? "Super Aunt" to the rescue.... sort of.

Since I know absolutely nothing about video games, except which is which, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the best strategy to ensure that I can get a pre-order voucher tomorrow morning. Do I really have to sleep in the local Toys R Us parking lot tonight? I don't mind doing it, if that's what it takes...

Thanks!

Old Oct 28, 2006, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not just wait till they show up on Ebay and buy one for $2500?
Old Oct 28, 2006, 7:39 am
DebbieS

Originally Posted by ScottC
Why not just wait till they show up on Ebay and buy one for $2500?
This is my reaction in a video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4x-VW_rCSE

Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DebbieS
This is my reaction in a video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4x-VW_rCSE
At least it wasn't a link to the Elmo sex orgy
Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:36 am

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by ScottC
At least it wasn't a link to the Elmo sex orgy
That's next year's release.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 9:39 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
I'm waitin' until January when Ebay is flooded with a glut of machines from the folks speculating on 'em.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:17 pm
DebbieS

I went to the Toy R Us near me at 2AM. There were already 50 people waiting. Sleeping bags, card board boxes, blankets, and even lawn chairs... Gave up and went home... Very wise decision, as the temps were hovering around 32 and it was really, really windy. Those 50 brave souls were really dedicated! ^ (either die-hard gamers or Ebay profiteers)

Guess I'll have to show up even earlier at BestBuy or other places on the Wii's official launch date...

Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am hoping that the WII will be pretty easy to get, but I suspect the PS3 will be sold out 10 minutes into its release. That said; it'll probably be the other way around, Sony has been getting some pretty bad press lately...
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:08 pm

Programs: United GS, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AC
Just buy a console of your choice on Ebay a couple of days after they come out. Xbox 360's were not actually selling for a big markup after they went on sale, despite all the hype on the news about "Xbox 360 selling for $2000 on Ebay!" I don't think many of them, if any, sold at that price, and most went very reasonably.

The second strategy, which I used, is to find an unexpected retailer that stocks the consoles on opening day. Don't go to Walmart or Target or Best Buy. Call around to your local "Gamecrazy" shops (or some shop like that) in an indoor mall or out-of-the-way location, that isn't part of a chain or is part of a small one, and see if they'll get them on day one. Or try a chain you wouldn't think of, like Sears.

Last edited by Capite; Oct 31, 2006 at 11:13 pm
Old Nov 1, 2006, 9:58 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
>Just buy a console of your choice on Ebay

I've used ebay a lot over the years, but would NEVER use it for something like an xbox. These types of products are what all the fraudsters / scammers / tricksters offer for sale. I only buy 'oddball' items on ebay.

For something like an xbox I'd use craigslist so you can go physically inspect the thing.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada
Old Nov 1, 2006, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA GS
no Nintendo or Sony. I'm waiting for the Elmo.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:39 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
its out in japan

my friend got one, i will next time visit him and check how the PS3 is.
in japan the first 100.000 PS3s are soldout within 2hours.

dp
Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gglave
>Just buy a console of your choice on Ebay

I've used ebay a lot over the years, but would NEVER use it for something like an xbox. These types of products are what all the fraudsters / scammers / tricksters offer for sale. I only buy 'oddball' items on ebay.

For something like an xbox I'd use craigslist so you can go physically inspect the thing.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada
I'd have no problem buying one off Ebay. All depends on feedback, feedback comments. If you get scammed and followed some simple rules then Paypal will be on your side. Filing a "not as described" isn't that hard to do.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:56 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
My dad (soon to be 60) is a bit of a sports sim addict. I've bought him an XBox 360 for his birthday and we have a Wii on order (the Wii is more for me - I'm fascinated by the control design and can't wait to have a go).

We're not so interested in the Playstation 3. However, if someone brings out an easy to use Linux for the Cell processor/Playstation 3, I would be very very interested. Hold this thought; an Amiga for the 21st century!

Note: I still have a soft spot for the Amiga because most of the operating system principles that people learn on Unix (not Windows) these days, I learned on an Amiga 500!

Edited to add: 2nd Note: I don't do sleeping outside of stores for any company's marketing department.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 5:04 am

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by derpelikan
my friend got one, i will next time visit him and check how the PS3 is.
in japan the first 100.000 PS3s are soldout within 2hours.
AFAIK, Sony allocated a total of 80,000 units for the Nihon debut. Popular rumour has it that they held units back so they could support the US holiday launch.

Lots of cold, wet gamers waiting in Akihabara this a.m.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.