Wiki Posts
Search

Free, lightweight Alternative to PowerDVD/WinDVD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:17 am
Original Poster

I'm looking to play proper DVDs on my computer using a decent DVD player program. What I don't want is a really bloated (oversized) shareware DVD program. Is there a good alternative to WinDVD or PowerDVD. Even if it's not free (but really lightweight and good), I'd be interested.

thx
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:43 am

Programs: QF WP (Platinum = OW Emerald); SPG pleb; Hyatt platinum
Originally Posted by persianpower

I'm looking to play proper DVDs on my computer using a decent DVD player program. What I don't want is a really bloated (oversized) shareware DVD program. Is there a good alternative to WinDVD or PowerDVD. Even if it's not free (but really lightweight and good), I'd be interested.

thx
Check out the VLC media player from http://www.videolan.org/. I've heard glowing reviews about it from varous techy sources (apparently it works region-free out of the box, although I haven't tested that myself) and it's a 9MB download for Windows, 13MB for OS X.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:23 pm
uck

MPlayer

Try MPlayer (MPlayer ). Simple, basic controls. Plays most video formats.

-Uck

Originally Posted by persianpower

thx
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:06 pm

WMP10 also does a decent job, and it is probably already on your computer...
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:21 pm

Programs: KLM FB, BA EC, Miles&Mafia, Delta SM, Mile High Club
Media Player Classic from the K-Lite codec pack. Easy on RAM and processor cycles and it uses standard codecs which can be shared by all your media players and editors, in contrast to VLC which comes with its own set of codecs that it refuses to share with any other app.

If you uninstall PowerDVD/WinDVD, you'll probably also lose your DVD codec. The K-Lite codec pack includes a replacement DVD decoder.

Media Player Classic: http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

K-Lite codec pack (includes Media Player Classic and the Cyberlink DVD decoder - don't install the entire pack but only pick the parts you need): http://www.free-codecs.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.