Wiki Posts
Search

US Empower

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
US Empower

I've got a inverter brick that has an empower connector and a sleeve that converts the empower connector to a cigarette lighter type connector. I've never actually used the Empower connector since I usually find myself in UA Y.

I was an a US A319 this evening in Y and they have the empower in each armrest. As hard as I tried I couldn't get my brick's connector into the receptacle - I could feel the pins line up but it simply wouldn't seat itself. Is there something weird about US or other empower installs or do I have a dud connector? I tried both my seat and the center seat with the same luck.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:55 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
You might want to take a look and make sure the Empower pins aren't bent. That would prevent the connector from seating properly. I'm not sure about US as I've not flown them but haven't had a problem with Empower on many airlines. I'd suspect the connector before the plug.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kanebear
You might want to take a look and make sure the Empower pins aren't bent. That would prevent the connector from seating properly. I'm not sure about US as I've not flown them but haven't had a problem with Empower on many airlines. I'd suspect the connector before the plug.
Yeah I looked - that was my first guess. The pins are all straight.

By connector I meant the plug, male part, etc.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by bdesmond
Yeah I looked - that was my first guess. The pins are all straight.

By connector I meant the plug, male part, etc.
This wouldn't happen to be a Xantrex inverter?

I got mine at Radio Shack and it took a bit of effort to push into the jack but I thought it was normal. It was impossible to remove so UA had to remove the jack with my cable. I emailed Xantrex and they were good enough to send me a replacement cable and another inverter.

I was able to remove my original connector from the jack so I was able to compare all 3.

The replacement cable they sent had a collar that was too big and it sounds like your problem.

The second inverter they sent had the same problem as the first, very tight so if I did get it in all the way it would be damaged when removed.

It appears their cable supplier has a problem with production tolerances because I ended up getting a Vector inverter from Costco recently and it's connector fits fine and removes easily from the Empower jack.

I'm going to make a cast of all 3 and try to do it with the jack so they can check it out.

My advice to everyone is to not force the connector in if the plastic is too snug because it may not come out. The Vector jack plastic has some play in the plastic but you can feel when the metal prongs engage and are snug when trying to remove.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seek
This wouldn't happen to be a Xantrex inverter?
Yes. It's a xpower T-Inverter 100. Who'd you call/write - I'm gonna call & complain because I really like the form factor of this thing. If it's a tolerance issue I'm going to ask for several cables and perhaps one will work. The only thing that beats it size-wise is my dad's APC inverter but it has a cig-lighter connection soldered to it - I like the changeable thing on this.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 3:54 pm

Programs: US, UA
i have used my ibm's dc travel (empower) adapter on both US and UA without any issues.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by bdesmond
Yes. It's a xpower T-Inverter 100. Who'd you call/write - I'm gonna call & complain because I really like the form factor of this thing. If it's a tolerance issue I'm going to ask for several cables and perhaps one will work. The only thing that beats it size-wise is my dad's APC inverter but it has a cig-lighter connection soldered to it - I like the changeable thing on this.
I just emailed them:
[email protected]
There is also a phone number: 888-800-1010

It took them a couple of days between responses but they were nice. I just sent them a picture and my serial number.

Instead of having them send you several cables you may want them to double check the fit before sending it if they can. The cables are mass produced and if it's a mfg. tolerance issue then it they may have several bad batches before anyone notices.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:30 pm

Duplicate post

Last edited by seek; Mar 28, 2006 at 4:31 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Apr 1, 2006, 2:15 am

Programs: UA
I bought a Kensington 120 at Costco and same thing, I am unable to plug it in both US and AC planes. I need to return it but I always forget to bring it back when I go in North America (no Costco in Italy)
Old Apr 5, 2006, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Just sent them a email with pictures and a requst for a new one. Hopefully they're helpful and mail me one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.