Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Internet Access While Traveling Internationally?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Internet Access While Traveling Internationally?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2003, 9:51 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Actually, their dialup software is the reason I use them, having a database of all their numbers in one application is excellent.</font>
I agree that having all the access numbers in one application is handy. But with the Mac OS X version, the software did not offer an important feature.

It did not allow you the option to "ignore wait for dial tone." So if there was no dial tone when the modem picked up the line, the software would not dial. It would give an error that there is no dial tone. I found that many of the hotels I stayed at required me to ignore the dial tone. So I could never even get started with the service.

The also software did not allow you to switch between users. On Mac OS X, if a user logs out, all applications are forced to quit. I am guessing this would disconnect the iPass service.

The internal Mac OS X dial-up software addresses both of these problems. So I was able to use Tempest (Titan) and everything worked fine.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 11:13 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by marc1:
It did not allow you the option to "ignore wait for dial tone."</font>
If the software allows inserting any codes into the modem init string you can stick the "Ignore dialtone" code there...

Old Aug 21, 2003, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pdhenry:
Originally posted by marc1:
It did not allow you the option to "ignore wait for dial tone."</font>
If the software allows inserting any codes into the modem init string you can stick the "Ignore dialtone" code there...

Code for this BTW is : AT X1
Old Aug 21, 2003, 9:16 pm

Programs: BA GfL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Due to this problem, iPass limits access to POPS in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Bulgaria, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan unless you specifically ask that iPass grant your users access to them.</font>
Thanks very much for that, ScottC--I never looked at the iPass website since the whole thing was set up for me by my helpful tech team guys. I will get on this right now. That's one problem solved!

[This message has been edited by travelmad478 (edited 08-21-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.