Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Internet Access While Traveling Internationally?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2003, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

This may be slightly off topic, but I am not sure where to post it.

I am planning to do some traveling through Europe (Germany, Austria, Italy). I will have my laptop and wondering if anyone can suggest a good international dial-up internet access provider?
Old Aug 4, 2003, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Moderators will move this to the FT Travel, Travel technology section....

Ipass is good... A similar thread was in the FT Travel, Travel technology section.

http://www.ipass.com
Old Aug 4, 2003, 9:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Welcome to FT, marc1.

Please continue the discussion in in the FT Travel/Travel Technology forum.

---------
essxjay
FT Community moderator
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Second that on ipass, 1000's of POP's, even in the weirdest places, support for ISDN, Japanese PHS and even quite a few WiFi hotspot locations. Also some countries with tollfree access.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the input guys. i will try out ipass. i noticed they have a 100 hour dial-up free trial account.

https://www.ipass.com/broadband/trial_acct2.php
Old Aug 5, 2003, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by marc1:
I am planning to do some traveling through Europe (Germany, Austria, Italy). I will have my laptop and wondering if anyone can suggest a good international dial-up internet access provider?</font>
Depending on how much you intend to use it; a pay-as-you-go basis may be better than a pay-up-front type account.

I use Tempest Telecommunications - http://www.tempestcom.com/ - for hotels without high-speed access and in far-off places. I've yet to fail in finding a local number.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 1:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I've used a company called maglobe. They were ultra reliable but I have had one or too sub-par experiences with them recently.

www.maglobe.net
Old Aug 5, 2003, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
With iPass, do you deal direct with them, or do you go through a reseller? If the latter, does anyone recommend a specific reseller?
Old Aug 5, 2003, 3:03 pm

Anybody know if a complete list of all access point numbers is for iPass is available?
Old Aug 5, 2003, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mymiles2go:
Anybody know if a complete list of all access point numbers is for iPass is available?</font>
It's all in their dialup application:

http://www.ipassconnect.nl/indexUK.htm

and here:

http://www.ipass.com/ipass_apfinder.html

[This message has been edited by ScottC (edited 08-05-2003).]
Old Aug 5, 2003, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I LOVE ipass. I think the only place I've traveled to in the last three years where I haven't gotten a local call dialup was Udaipur, India. (I did get a local call from Cochin, though.)

The one thing I have had trouble with is using ipass in Russia (both Moscow and St. Petersburg). For some odd reason, the system will not let me in there--it rejects my password, although ipass has local access numbers, my codes are programmed into my computer, and the same codes work fine in every other place. In Russia, I have to dial all the way out of the country. Anyone know why this might be the case?
Old Aug 20, 2003, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NickW:
I use Tempest Telecommunications - http://www.tempestcom.com/ - for hotels without high-speed access and in far-off places. I've yet to fail in finding a local number.</font>
I am back from my trip and wanted to provide some feedback.

Thanks to Nick's suggestion, I tried Tempest (aka Titan). It worked great. I have not gotten the bill yet, but the rates they quote (11.5 cents/minute for most of Western Europe) seemed very reasonable.

I signed up for a trial iPass account, but they require you to use their proprietary dial-up software which I found to be a hindrance.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 1:20 am

Programs: UA General Member
Not available for individuals, but on a corporate basis, I am very fond of Infonet's Dial Express. $19/user/month includes 50 hours of dialup access from anywhere they have a POP.

I believe the minimum is something like $2k/mo, so like I said, only for corps, not individuals.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by travelmad478:
I LOVE ipass. I think the only place I've traveled to in the last three years where I haven't gotten a local call dialup was Udaipur, India. (I did get a local call from Cochin, though.)

The one thing I have had trouble with is using ipass in Russia (both Moscow and St. Petersburg). For some odd reason, the system will not let me in there--it rejects my password, although ipass has local access numbers, my codes are programmed into my computer, and the same codes work fine in every other place. In Russia, I have to dial all the way out of the country. Anyone know why this might be the case?
</font>
From the ipass website:

Helpful Information
Blocked POPs
Location: Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Bulgaria, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan
The iPass unauthorized use prevention system has flagged instances of unauthorized service usage through access points in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Bulgaria, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan.

Due to this problem, iPass limits access to POPS in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Bulgaria, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan unless you specifically ask that iPass grant your users access to them. We are taking this precaution for your protection.

If you wish to allow roaming on the POPs in these areas, please notify your iPass account manager and we will immediately re-activate these POPs for your users.

The iPass Unauthorized Use Document also provides additional information on how to configure your systems and define policies to prevent unauthorized use. With pay-per-use services like Internet roaming, preventing unauthorized service use is especially important so that you don't incur a large bill that you are unable to collect.

Old Aug 21, 2003, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by marc1:
I am back from my trip and wanted to provide some feedback.

Thanks to Nick's suggestion, I tried Tempest (aka Titan). It worked great. I have not gotten the bill yet, but the rates they quote (11.5 cents/minute for most of Western Europe) seemed very reasonable.

I signed up for a trial iPass account, but they require you to use their proprietary dial-up software which I found to be a hindrance.
</font>
Actually, their dialup software is the reason I use them, having a database of all their numbers in one application is excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.