Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone 14 no simcard slot for US

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by NYCRachel
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209096

^^ Apple has a list of all countries and carriers with eSIM.

Do these carriers offer the same tourist SIM rates as a regular SIM card though?

Going to Malaysia and Singapore in a few weeks and super bummed about this. Was going to buy a new phone (have iPhone 12 Pro Max) but may just go to the Apple store and spend $69 on a battery replacement (starting to struggle for it to stay charged all day).
Only answer is "maybe."

I'm in Mexico currently. Telcel doesn't support eSIMs for pre-paid, and AT&Tmx only supports prepaid for residents (permanent, at that). But, you can buy an AT&T prepaid eSIM from a third party. Rates are AT&Tmx normal prepaid rates, but the eSIM costs about $10.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
Only answer is "maybe."

I'm in Mexico currently. Telcel doesn't support eSIMs for pre-paid, and AT&Tmx only supports prepaid for residents (permanent, at that). But, you can buy an AT&T prepaid eSIM from a third party. Rates are AT&Tmx normal prepaid rates, but the eSIM costs about $10.
What a headache! Getting a Telcel SIM a few months ago when I was in MX was super annoying in of itself, let alone this wrinkle.

I ended up getting the $69 battery replacement at the Apple Store. Hopefully this will all work itself out, but given "Americans don't travel" not sure how likely that'll be.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 1:07 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
So the US iPhone 14 has no physical SIM slot. I'm guessing this is because of our carriers here wanting us to use their rip off international roaming data?

Anyhoo, I see that Canada's iPhone 14s have a SIM card slot. Two questions:

1. Has anyone here purchased a 14 in Canada to use in the US? And...
2. Are the Canadian iPhones compatible with the carriers here, specifically Verizon and T-Mob?

TIA
Old Jun 15, 2023, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abraxis
So the US iPhone 14 has no physical SIM slot. I'm guessing this is because of our carriers here wanting us to use their rip off international roaming data?

Anyhoo, I see that Canada's iPhone 14s have a SIM card slot. Two questions:

1. Has anyone here purchased a 14 in Canada to use in the US? And...
2. Are the Canadian iPhones compatible with the carriers here, specifically Verizon and T-Mob?

TIA
Sorry I can't answer your questions, but as to your premise, I use eSIMs when traveling abroad with no problems (iPhone 13 Pro still, but no problems). Plenty of international data plans are available by eSIM.

My beef is that I can't use two T-Mo eSIMs at once, AFAIK. I'll need that whenever I get a new phone.

ETA: looks like there may be an answer on Reddit, but . . .
Old Jun 15, 2023, 5:03 am

You can use two or more esims on iPhones since the iPhone 13 I believe. I have a 14 Pro Max and daily run 2 T-Mobile lines. 1 is for data, the other is my old voice line. I frequently swap to other esims when necessary. I recently had AT&T & a Verizon esims also and the swap was always flawless and quick when changing carriers. The iPhone 14's have two IMEI's and if you call in for activation, you need to give a separate IMEI per line.
TGarza likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 5:33 am

A The iPhone 14 supports up to 8 esims with 2 being active at any time. I use a local esim for my data and my US esim configured for IMS. I pay no international roaming roaming to use my AT&T esim.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
The reason I'm hunting for an iPhone with SIM slot is that in Asia, prepaid eSIMs are few and far between, which is where I travel.. And when there is one, it's usually not the best deal (tourist eSIM). For example, on my last visit to Singapore, there was exactly one carrier out of four that had a prepaid eSIM....
Old Jun 15, 2023, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
Sorry I can't answer your questions, but as to your premise, I use eSIMs when traveling abroad with no problems (iPhone 13 Pro still, but no problems). Plenty of international data plans are available by eSIM.

My beef is that I can't use two T-Mo eSIMs at once, AFAIK. I'll need that whenever I get a new phone.

ETA: looks like there may be an answer on Reddit, but . . .
You can indeed use two T-Mobile sims on the same phone. The easiest way is to activate one esim line on another iPhone on your icloud account, and then do the eSim quick transfer from that second phone to your first phone.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 12:26 pm

The reason I'm hunting for an iPhone with SIM slot is that in Asia, prepaid eSIMs are few and far between, which is where I travel.. And when there is one, it's usually not the best deal (tourist eSIM). For example, on my last visit to Singapore, there was exactly one carrier out of four that had a prepaid eSIM....
Although there may not be many esims with voice service if that is what you need, there are many that have data all over Asia with fairly reasonable (By US Standards) pricing. An advantage to those plans are you can subscribe prior to your trip with your service being active the day & time of your arrival. Depending upon how often and long your Asian trips are, perhaps paying a few dollars for roaming local calls might be an acceptable compromise. I'm on T-Mobile, and when roaming if I need to call a cab or my hotel it's $.25 a minute. Pretty cheap knowing the cost ahead of time and having the convenience of no sim card hunt. I can remember when calling the next area code in the US costs more than that on a land line.
TGarza likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 10:32 am

Yeah, if you need local calls in Singapore or large data (100GB, 14 days for $12 SGD is cheap.

The cheapest esim equivalent I can see is
3hk/mobi matter 30day $10usd(15gb) $13(30gb)

sim2fly 349bhat ( initial 6GB 8day $21sgd, topup 6GB 10 days for $13 sgd).

Singapore sim requires passport/ID registration while esims generally don't

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.