Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

iPhone 14 no simcard slot for US

Old Sep 14, 2022, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Urrrgghh, I'm planning to update my XS to 14pro. The ESIM only US iPhone 14 threw a wrench in my plan. I guess I either get it in Canada or on my next Asia trip just to get one with the SIM card slot.
ryandelmundo likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Taikucing
Urrrgghh, I'm planning to update my XS to 14pro. The ESIM only US iPhone 14 threw a wrench in my plan. I guess I either get it in Canada or on my next Asia trip just to get one with the SIM card slot.
At first, I was sort of conflicted about whether or not I like the elimination of the physical SIM slot but having dual eSIMs. But I too am on the side of still needing a physical SIM slot for some markets.

Is it possible to buy the phone direct from Apple in the US and then do an exchange at an Apple store in Canada?
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:05 am

Can you have more than two eSIMs stored on an iPhone, and then just turn on any two that you want to use?

If so, is there a limit to how many you can store?
Old Sep 15, 2022, 9:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by josephstern
Can you have more than two eSIMs stored on an iPhone, and then just turn on any two that you want to use?

Yes - you can have more than 2 eSIMs, but you can only use 2 concurrently.
josephstern likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 9:12 am

On your iPhone, you can store eight or more eSIMs, which will be there whenever you need them. You can have two eSIMs active on supported iPhone models at the same time.

Apple support site doesnt list the esim capacity by model. You can designate primary and secondary lines.
LIH Prem, rambutan and Igene like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I was ready to pull the trigger on an iPhone 14 Pro until I saw there was no physical SIM tray. I have a couple of European Pay-as-you-go SIMs I use on EU trips. When I am over there I will inquire as to converting them to ESIMs but I'm not about to take the chance I might not be able to.

Long term I'm sure it won't be a problem but for now, I'll pass.

I just hope I can live with the embarrassment of the 2+ year old iPhone
ryandelmundo likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I just hope I can live with the embarrassment of the 2+ year old iPhone
Texting in green is worse than an older iPhone. At least thats what my nieces and nephews tell me. I have a Pixel work phone and iPhone personal phone.
TheMadBrewer and msp3 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 10:40 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by TGarza
Texting in green is worse than an older iPhone. At least thats what my nieces and nephews tell me. I have a Pixel work phone and iPhone personal phone.
I have a Pixel as well -- I write apps for fun and use it for testing. And the camera is great. When people ask about the two phones I just point to the Pixel and say "That is my camera, it just happens to have a phone built in..."
TGarza likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 4:16 am
Suspended

I just went to count the number of stored eSIMs on someone’s pre-pandemic-activated iPhone. It has 16 stored eSIMs on it, and so the maximum that can be stored on at least that iPhone is no less than 16.

eSIM-enable iPhones can simultaneously run one cell service plan from the eSIM while running the other plan from the physical SIM. Dual eSIM iPhones will be able to have both eSIMs’ plans running at the same time.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 5:59 am

I pick up my iPhone 14 Pro Max tomorrow. I've been using esims since Dec. 2018 when T-Mobile first allowed them on my ONE plan. During this span I have gotten pretty used to them and they have generally been better overall than sim cards for my needs.

I have several free, unlimited lines from T-Mobile and those are second esims in our phones for data, which preserves the $10 per line discount of the KickBack feature on our main voice lines. I used to use Airalo for travel data, but my plan now gets the free, 5Gb high speed data roaming in 215 countries, so paid data roaming is a thing of the past. I also have a spare iPhone 8 that I picked up for $100 and it can double as a hotspot or source to easily import sim card lines to esim. Sim cards can be converted to esim pretty easily at least 3 ways on your account. You can use a second phone or use your on line Account Manager, at least on T-Mobile. Your carrier support should also be able to make the swap for you. They can also be transferred back to the sim card.

One thing that should change soon is many more US & foreign MVNO carriers should switch to esim availability. For instance, Xfinity resells Verizon service, but does not have esims for their plans. I have a plan with 2 lines for our emergency roaming, and the fact that they gave me a $400 gift card to open the account. Without opening esim service soon I will cancel both lines, and they probably know they need to get on board quickly with esims.

Edited to add: Apparently Xfinity has updated their system to esim capability in the past few days. I will try and convert our 2 lines to esim and post my results and procedure here.

Edit 2: Exfinity App support text tried to switch sim card to esim, but finally transferred my request to Tech Support I assume. After about 10 minutes I got a notification that it was being enabled and it appeared on my phone so it can be done. On the App itsself, it claims my device is not supported on their system. Odd, since I have been using it with the sim card for about 7 months now.

Last edited by draver; Sep 16, 2022 at 7:49 am
Old Sep 16, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: AA: EXP Delta: DM

The iPhone 14 can support 8 eSim.

Only two can be active at any given time
Old Sep 16, 2022, 11:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Igene
The iPhone 14 can support 8 eSim.

Only two can be active at any given time
Are you sure the eSIM storage limit on the iPhone 14 is 8 eSIMs?

I just went to another eSIM-capable iPhone -- this time an 11 Pro -- and it too has at least 12 eSIMs stored.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Are you sure the eSIM storage limit on the iPhone 14 is 8 eSIMs?

I just went to another eSIM-capable iPhone -- this time an 11 Pro -- and it too has at least 12 eSIMs stored.

Apple faq is eight or more esims
Old Sep 16, 2022, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by TGarza
Apple faq is eight or more esims
That's so strange. Why list "eight" if it is not the "minimum" or "maximum"?
Old Sep 16, 2022, 5:46 pm

My best guess is the "8 Or More" indicates at least 8 are possible on all, and some may hold more?
Need and TGarza like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.