Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

eSIM support for phone without eSIM (can move eSIM across phones)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eSIM support for phone without eSIM (can move eSIM across phones)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:58 pm

Yes, me too. Downloaded a 'Global SIM" (esim) from Flexiroam. 7GB for $40 good for one year. Having an issue with the correct APN settings but the thier Chat support is working on it.

Last edited by bukzin; Apr 6, 2022 at 3:11 pm
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LVA
Verizon will not give me a QR code for the esim, though they happily agree it would work, because my device is not on their list of eSIM devices.
you gave them the MEID of the ESIM, or your (non-esim) phone?

https://www.verizon.com/support/esim...-instructions/
https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/com..._online_guide/
the page says you should be able to activate eSIM entirely online (instead of just calling)? is that online page erroring out (because verizon doesnt support the eSIM MEID?

US mobile has eSIM for verizon, was debating if i want to spend the $10+ to test it out for 1 month

(unfortunately, Verizon and T-mobile are using the eSIM activation procses, where it seems to be a generic QR code but you have to provide them the MEID first)
therefore, when the generic QR code gets scanned, the eSIM phone sends info about itself to verizon servers, and verizon knows which account it should connect to
-> if you have a friend's iPhone or eSIM-android to borrow, i wonder if the QR code sent is still the generic QR code or a unique QR code

i think att's QR code is unique

most traveling eSIMs, provide a unique QR code (so you don't have to first send them your eSIM MEID/IMEI)
most of them are one-time and done (cannot scan a second time), some of them do allow multiple scans (but usually locked on the same device)
some of them are app-based (app provides activation process, no QR code at all) - for these, you may be able to trick them by using a native eSIM phone (with eSIM.me inserted)

EDIT: try this?
https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/com...rough/eb93iec/
bukzin likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Apr 6, 2022 at 6:46 pm
Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:50 am
LVA

Originally Posted by robosmith
Just tried to order this. Est delivery is minimum 4 MONTHS. I guess from England. Is that normal?
I ordered to the US and had it within two weeks.
bukzin likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by LVA
I ordered to the US and had it within two weeks.

Have you had a chance to try it out? Mind giving us a report?

Thx
Old Apr 8, 2022, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by bukzin
Yes, me too. Downloaded a 'Global SIM" (esim) from Flexiroam. 7GB for $40 good for one year. Having an issue with the correct APN settings but the thier Chat support is working on it.
Did support suggest anything besides "flexiroam" as an APN setting? That appears under "Account Guide" on my app.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by draver
Did support suggest anything besides "flexiroam" as an APN setting? That appears under "Account Guide" on my app.

Im new to eSIM’s and using a second service but this is what worked for me…

APN ( to use while in US) set to ‘pepper’, but the name shows up as ‘pepperWEB (Jersey)’
set mobile data to ‘on’. and. roaming to ‘on’
also wifi must be switched off for Flexiroam to work

to use elsewhere in the world APN is flexiroam ( all lowercase letters and no period at the end )

All the above is for their esim, not sure if the same applies to their SIM card.

Flexiroam support chat is found at https://wa.link/7srcyj. which runs thru WhatsApp
they can also be reached in their app which supports LINE support, email support and WhatsApp
Old Apr 10, 2022, 1:19 pm
LVA

Originally Posted by bukzin
Have you had a chance to try it out? Mind giving us a report?
I replied previously, but I don't see the post? I wonder where it went?

As my earlier post mentioned, I loaded the esim.me card without issues and it seems to mesh well with my phone, but I could not get Verizon to give me a QR code for my existing plan due to... corporate inflexibility. That's my next project.

I picked up a super-cheap Yesim plan for testing (1 euro 500 global mb for 30 days, currently featured on their landing page or use my referral WCAH031 for some credit for both of us) and at first that did not work. I contacted esim.me and they suggested that even though Yesim plans are supposed to have the APN encoded in the QR code, it seemed that in my case I needed to enter that manually. I contacted Yesim for further instructions, and now that Yesim test plan is working. Yay!

Now to focus on Verizon again, and I'll be all set.

I am using a Samsung Note 9.
bukzin likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Yesim

I wouldn't have known about Yesim, but pretty impressed.
Signed up and loaded immediately. Thanks. Any other recommendations ?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:59 pm

Tmobile.com

Could somebody be good enough to provide a link for the TMobile.com Visitor to the US sim only deal ? I'm in the UK and visiting shortly. I bought one of these before lockdown on my last visit but I don't see it on their site and the answer I received from them was pretty abrupt. Ideally, I'd like it in eSim format to download immediately. Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2022, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike turnbull
Could somebody be good enough to provide a link for the TMobile.com Visitor to the US sim only deal ? I'm in the UK and visiting shortly. I bought one of these before lockdown on my last visit but I don't see it on their site and the answer I received from them was pretty abrupt. Ideally, I'd like it in eSim format to download immediately. Thanks
do you have iPhone? tmobile prepaid has esim app only for iPhone (no android), you can install and see if they still have the plan

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/pla...obile-esim-app

if you don't need calling/texting (domestic or int'l, while on USA soil), there are cheaper and more flexible eSIM alternatives. if you need call/text, there are fewer (but still some) eSIM options too
Old Apr 12, 2022, 1:06 am

Thanks..Android ! Need to make calls while on the road, any regular sim or esim recommendations ?
Old Apr 12, 2022, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by mike turnbull
Thanks..Android ! Need to make calls while on the road, any regular sim or esim recommendations ?
Visible Wireless supports Android esim on the Verizon network. If you need more than 30 days of service, join a party pay group for the $25 price.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:50 pm
LVA

One more update!

I just can't get my current Verizon plan on my current phone with the esim.me card. Verizon has locked their system to only on those phones they have listed as supporting esims. Giving them an MEID for a device that's not on their list (and MEID is device-specific) blocks the esim. And their esim plans are locked to a specific MEID, not portable, so spoofing a compatible MEID won't work.

All is not lost -- I can still physically swap my Verizon sim card for the esim.me card and use an esim plan I bought online from a competitive retailer, so travel will still be easier than trying to exchange a limb or organ for a sim card in the airport or wander without connectivity to find one for sale in the street. It's just not going to be as easy as tapping my screen on the plane to switch to the new plan on the fly.

The esim.me card will probably pay for itself in a few trips, buying esims with more flexibility than new sims, so it's still worth it to me.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by TGarza
Visible Wireless supports Android esim on the Verizon network. If you need more than 30 days of service, join a party pay group for the $25 price.
Thanks..doesn't like either of the IMEI numbers on my s21 5g

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.