Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

eSIM support for phone without eSIM (can move eSIM across phones)

eSIM support for phone without eSIM (can move eSIM across phones)

Old Oct 8, 2021, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

eSIM support for phone without eSIM (or use it to move eSIM across phones)

Newsletter code eSIM-APP10 saves 10%
referral link: https://esim.me/esim.me-for-my-andro...DerBs6KoIxA2yt
non-referral link: https://esim.me

Can say that this product works with my single-sim phone (Samsung A71 5G T-mobile and manually sim-unlocked). play store reviews show other phone models working too
(had some initial difficulties with my phone, see thread below: the manufacturer is pretty responsive and help fix some of the issues)

===== old post
looks like this product allows you to insert a physical sim card into a phone without eSIM, and activate eSIM profiles on that physical sim

referral link: https://esim.me/esim.me-for-my-andro...DerBs6KoIxA2yt
non-referral link: https://esim.me

can store 10+ eSIM profiles on card, need their app to switch profiles.
$30 for the card, card itself doesn't seem to expire(your eSIM profiles will expire as described by your eSIM provider), not sure if their app can be used offline (or sim card only lasts the length of the company)

you need a modern android phones (android 9+, needed to write data to SIM card in order to switch profile).
older androids and iPhones cannot switch/activate eSIM profile, but you can insert the sim (it'll use the last active profile that you activated from another android phone)

who wants to be guinea pig?

wayback machine shows first capture in march 2021, another version in Nov 2018 (different layout, but also same eSIM physical card product)
their app on google store, first released Sep 30, 2021

Last edited by paperwastage; Nov 7, 2021 at 6:38 pm
Old Oct 9, 2021, 5:17 am

This reminds me of the Appls Sim Card introduced in iPads 3-5 or so years ago. I may still have an unused one around somewhere. I've often wondered when this would become a reality. It seems like a fairly simple concept and should be easy to implement. If it actually works properly it is going to be a big hit with all the Samsung users who have been waiting for their esims to be available via updates.

Edited to add: It just occurred to me that carriers like T-Mobile still do not issue esims to Android devices yet as far as I know. This may be a problem unless you can find a way to set up your line on this sim and then move it into your Samsung phone.

Last edited by draver; Oct 9, 2021 at 5:24 am
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by draver

Edited to add: It just occurred to me that carriers like T-Mobile still do not issue esims to Android devices yet as far as I know. This may be a problem unless you can find a way to set up your line on this sim and then move it into your Samsung phone.
decided to be a guinea pig and order a esim.me

TMobile allows Android esim now(qr code).

Infact, the TMobile note 20 ultra was first usa-samsung-model to get esim update earlier this year (some TMobile and unlocked usa s21 models are getting esim update via oneui4 beta earlier this month)
Majuki likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 4:54 am

Unfortunately the Note 20 Ultra is the exception rather than the rule. I wonder why they (Samsung) are so reluctant to engineer this into their products and OS? I have heard over the years that the carriers don't like the flexibility it affords users to shift between carriers, but it is here to stay, and they should know that. It might help them sell a few more phones instead of losing business to Apple because of it.

Paperwastage,

Please keep us updated on your experience with the setup and service with esim.me.
Majuki likes this.

Last edited by draver; Oct 17, 2021 at 4:39 am
Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:29 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by paperwastage
decided to be a guinea pig and order a esim.me
Keep us updated!
Old Oct 21, 2021, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by draver
Please keep us updated on your experience with the setup and service with esim.me.
Originally Posted by Majuki
Keep us updated!
short update: I can confirm the "Core" idea of the technology works.
Another user also PM'd me, saying that it worked out of box for them without any issues (on non-native-esim phone: able to use app, add a few different eSIM providers to use on this esim.me product)

for me:
1) my samsung A71 5G phone doesn't work for some reason. listed as supported on their website (checks all boxes: android 9+, samsung, manually sim unlocked). The team is quite responsive, we're troubleshooting why
2) I do have a secondary device (Surface Duo1) which has native eSIM. I am able to use this device to verify the "core" technology
A) able to "put" a eSIM profile on the esim.me SIM
B) able to delete/change/add esim profiles on esim.me SIM
C) able to eject esim.me SIM, and put it on another phone (eg my "unsupported" Samsung), and my "unsupported" Samsung will use the last activated esim profile

note: there are some tricky fineprint when using on native eSIM phones (depends on your android version). Will explain the fineprint in my full writeup
On Android 10, you may not be able to use native eSIM plus eSIM.ME esim at the same time (cannot fully confirm yet)
On Android 11, you should be able to use both native eSIM plus eSIM.ME esim (cannot confirm yet).

hence, the "core" technology seems to be fine. will provide a full update/writeup after troubleshooting the issue on my "unsupported" phone
Majuki likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 21, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Old Oct 21, 2021, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

on esim.me website, under A71 5G, "David Lin" posted a review saying it works for A71 5G

but if you switch to another product (eg Pixel 4a 5G), "David Lin" posted a review saying it works for Pixel 4a 5G.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 3:30 pm

on esim.me website, under A71 5G, "David Lin" posted a review saying it works for A71 5G

but if you switch to another product (eg Pixel 4a 5G), "David Lin" posted a review saying it works for Pixel 4a 5G.
Hi,

this is Chris from eSIM.me, thank you for pointing this out.

These were test entries along the setup of the database of the handsets to verify our site works properly.
We intentionally used the same user and text so that it is obvious that the review was for test purposes.

We have now removed the test reviews.

Cheers,
Chris | Team eSIM.me
Majuki likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 4:47 pm

short update: I can confirm the "Core" idea of the technology works.
Another user also PM'd me, saying that it worked out of box for them without any issues (on non-native-esim phone: able to use app, add a few different eSIM providers to use on this esim.me product)
Thanks for the initial review, paperwastage. I was also looking to use this on an A71 (tertiary device for me). It's good to know that there is some functionality as is, but having to swap the physical card to another device to change the active profile sort of defeats the purpose of having a retrofit eSIM capability.

Originally Posted by TelcoVillage2021
Thank you for the clarification, Chris. I also saw the same review on every page.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

this is Chris from eSIM.me, thank you for pointing this out.

These were test entries along the setup of the database of the handsets to verify our site works properly.
We intentionally used the same user and text so that it is obvious that the review was for test purposes.

Cheers,
Chris | Team eSIM.me
ah, they found me

but yeah, their team has been very responsive..... so hopefully everything works out in the end
Thanks for the initial review, paperwastage. I was also looking to use this on an A71 (tertiary device for me). It's good to know that there is some functionality as is, but having to swap the physical card to another device to change the active profile sort of defeats the purpose of having a retrofit eSIM capability.
Will keep you/everyone updated as well.

pretty confident that this is just teething issues (you cant test every single android phone), expecting it to be fixed
Old Oct 21, 2021, 7:42 pm

pretty confident that this is just teething issues (you cant test every single android phone), expecting it to be fixed
Did you get the A71 specific or generic Android eSIM module? I saw both but didn't know if there were any differences among these products.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Did you get the A71 specific or generic Android eSIM module? I saw both but didn't know if there were any differences among these products.
I asked before purchasing, and this was their response (I purchased the generic Android one)

"Generic eSIM is the same product as the Samsung related one.

The reason we split this is to help people find their phone easier and to filter out the ones that are not supported"

During our technical troubleshooting, it was communicated again that its a generic "one-size-fits-all" SIM. they're sending me a new sim to try out, so maybe wait a bit? they ship from Germany, takes a few days (I'll have pictures/screenshots as part of my final writeup)
(again with the prompt responses/troubleshooting and desire to fix it)

their FAQ shows a 30-day 100% satisfaction refund policy, but not likely I'll trigger that
Old Oct 21, 2021, 9:45 pm

During our technical troubleshooting, it was communicated again that its a generic "one-size-fits-all" SIM.
That makes sense. As a website suggestion I'd say list the single product and compatible phones rather than making it seem like they were offering many variations of the product. That combined with the test reviews made me pause purchasing even though their overview video was comprehensive.

I'm glad to know they stand behind their product, and I am looking forward to your full review.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:15 am

this is Chris from eSIM.me
Hi Chris, would you be willing to offer a coupon code for FT members ?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Virginia Emery
Hi Chris, would you be willing to offer a coupon code for FT members ?
freecia likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.