Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Work from home tech thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tentseller
I have a few images similar to that but better quality taken at famous and beautiful libraries around the world.
To make this work well with zoom is to throw the background out of focus a bit and use that slightly out of focus image.
Perhaps like this one from the Long Room, St. John's College?

Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Oh back on topic, I use Zoom in the US.

Often I wonder if I can use it between China and US?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Perhaps like this one from the Long Room, St. John's College?

Okay. I’m new to zoom. O want the British Library Reading Room. I can snag a picture, how do I add it to zoom?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
My cat routinely crashes video calls. It’s like he knows when it’s time. People cheer when they see him now. A little bit of levity and a reminder that we’re all people in these times is not a bad thing.
My team meetings have had their BBC Dad moments. I routinely check out my remote team mate's view outside his window as has a nice view. Occasionally we'll get kids or pets. I find the pets to be less noisy, usually, but it's all good.

allset2travel Zoom does seem to work for China. I have team mates in Shanghai who also have access to corporate VPN, but sometimes I'll hear them dialed in from mass transit. I set my zoom app on mac defaults to camera off and mute on entry.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Okay. I’m new to zoom. O want the British Library Reading Room. I can snag a picture, how do I add it to zoom?
The arrow beside video camera bottom left
Video settings
Virtual background
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:44 am

Video settings
Virtual background
Thanks I’ll give ir a try.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I use the Logitech C922 Pro Stream. I’d recommend it... it’s performed quite well even in low light situations.
Not surprisingly I guess, it appears they're all sold out or at ridiculous prices at the moment.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Not surprisingly I guess, it appears they're all sold out or at ridiculous prices at the moment.
Did a quick search and both Best Buy and Office Depot have it... and Office Depot has it on sale for $79.
HDQDD likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use:
  • Microsoft lifeCam Cinema HD (think I bought it around 10 years ago)
  • ViewSonic 24" monitor I got for free several years ago
  • Aukey 7-in-i USB-C hub with a Ravpower 65W power supply, which lets me connect all USB peripherals and the monitor via one USB-C cord that also charges my laptop
  • Plantronics Savi W740 headset - the best headset ever!
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Did a quick search and both Best Buy and Office Depot have it... and Office Depot has it on sale for $79.
Appreciate the heads up! I forget about ole Office Depot. Should be delivered tomorrow.
javabytes likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:00 pm

Video settings
Virtual background

Thanks. It worked. I had my zoom call from the New Reading Room at the British Museum.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
Im 100% telecommute and we use blue jeans for large meetings and for smaller ones Google Meet works great for everyone outside of China.

I recently moved to a mesh using Orbi and it’s been great. Internally I get great WiFi speeds on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz using the Orbi gear inside and for a good distance outside my house.

I also like Unifi gear and my company’s IT team uses that for WiFi in our offices and event kit to set up mesh networks wherever we have events of any size.

additionally:

A good keyboard. Using a laptop is great, but if I have to use one for more than a week I prefer a full sized keyboard for more comfortable typing.

a large LCD monitor. My work laptop is a 13” MacBook Pro and it’s great for travel and working from events and meetings, but when I’m in my home office I use a 34” curved gaming monitor. It makes things so much easier on my eyes.

also, I work, as I said, telecommute full time and have for the last ten years. So outside of tech, I also suggest this:

do your work in a room away from the rest of your home if you can. It’s hard “turning off” if you’re not used to having work right there.

get up and walk away every so often. It’s all too easy to get wrapped up in work, even at home. Step away every so often and just take five or ten minutes to take a break and recharge a bit.

Very good suggestions. We set up my wife's workspace with a docking station yesterday so she would have a good keyboard and monitor, We will get mine set up by this weekend, The work habits suggestion are also very good.

I should note that I am really liking Zoom the more I use it,
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
Great advice. Totally agree on the getting up. I usually work early, work out a couple of hours, then jump back on

BTW, that username. Classic. Named after the Princess bride or Ulbricht?
Hah, thanks. I stole it from the Pricess Bride, long before Ulbricht created the Silk Road.

More topical, and now that I'm not using my phone to type that message out (yeesh I just noticed how it munged things like " ...

My desktop machine is a home-built machine, but I use a vintage IBM Model M with a custom USB cable. I am a touch typist (not so much when I'm writing code, but when I'm writing docs and emails I can comfortably sit at around 70-80 WPM) and find that a good mechanical keyboard is far easier than those little cheapo keyboards. I burned through two Unisys Model Ms, those are built using the old IBM plans, but using cheaper materials and don't last. My first real Model M lasted nearly 15 years and that was AFTER it was already over 20 years old. This one I bought was New Old Stock and still in it's original box and should last longer than I do. I've not tried one of the other new mechanical keyboards (using the Cherry MX and similar switches) but they would probably work ok as well. But there's something satisfying about the heft and tactile response of the old IBM Model M.

For a webcam, I agree with the Logitech 9xx cameras... they're fantastic and work with pretty much anything.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:24 pm

We got our second office space set up earlier than I thought. It’s ready to go now. Have a large external monitor ready and a wireless keyboard and trackpad coming Saturday. I have some another external keyboard and mouse I can use until the weekend.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
Hah, thanks. I stole it from the Pricess Bride, long before Ulbricht created the Silk Road.

More topical, and now that I'm not using my phone to type that message out (yeesh I just noticed how it munged things like " ...

My desktop machine is a home-built machine, but I use a vintage IBM Model M with a custom USB cable. I am a touch typist (not so much when I'm writing code, but when I'm writing docs and emails I can comfortably sit at around 70-80 WPM) and find that a good mechanical keyboard is far easier than those little cheapo keyboards. I burned through two Unisys Model Ms, those are built using the old IBM plans, but using cheaper materials and don't last. My first real Model M lasted nearly 15 years and that was AFTER it was already over 20 years old. This one I bought was New Old Stock and still in it's original box and should last longer than I do. I've not tried one of the other new mechanical keyboards (using the Cherry MX and similar switches) but they would probably work ok as well. But there's something satisfying about the heft and tactile response of the old IBM Model M.

For a webcam, I agree with the Logitech 9xx cameras... they're fantastic and work with pretty much anything.
I have an old Model M keyboard sitting in a closet. I used to haul it out once in a while because I love the feel, but I can't say it really improved my typing speed at all. I also missed the dedicated Windows/Start key.

My current keyboard infatuation is with the Logitech MX Keys wireless keyboard. It has a very similar feel to the best of the IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad keyboards, and I can type like a demon on it. Minimal travel but solid feedback, and no horizontal slop. I love the proximity-sensor enabled backlight. I currently only have one primary computer, but in instances where I would need a client-supplied laptop I can pair the keyboard (and mouse) to both and switch between them with the press of a button.

The MX Master 3 mouse is an awesome option, too. Very comfortable, configurable, and the scroll wheel has to be experienced to be believed.

My webcam is built into my primary display (ThinkVision X1 4K). It's HD/1080p (which doesn't do my looks any favors). The monitor and webcam work great, but the built-in microphone doesn't get along with Windows 10's USB mic implementation. I had to download and install Equalizer APO to boost it by 30db, then install a VST plugin to clean up the background noise. Definitely not studio quality, but quite acceptable for VoIP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.