Work from home tech thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Work from home tech thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by EmptyKim
Microsoft Teams has a blur background feature.
Zoom does as well. It kinda works, but it's not perfect at detecting you vs. stuff behind you. I have a high-backed chair and it thinks the chair is part of my head sometimes. Zoom also has a setting that allows you to tell it if you have an actual green screen behind you.

One thing I hate about Zoom is that it allows meeting organizers to default webcams to on... which can be a surprise to those who aren't expecting it.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by javabytes
Zoom does as well. It kinda works, but it's not perfect at detecting you vs. stuff behind you. I have a high-backed chair and it thinks the chair is part of my head sometimes. Zoom also has a setting that allows you to tell it if you have an actual green screen behind you.

One thing I hate about Zoom is that it allows meeting organizers to default webcams to on... which can be a surprise to those who aren't expecting it.
No surprises for me, electrical tape sorted that years ago! Of course, there is the very famous story about a now ex-C***o employee who forgot to end his webex....
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
There is no simple/low-cost DIY green screen solution.
Except Teams!

Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:56 pm

Ok, it looks like green screen is not as easy as I thought ,

What background would you use ? Go to the store and buy some drapes or material and hang it behind you ,
What about lighting ?

Thanks for your ideas
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I just converted about a 8-4 person meeting tomorrow to a zoom meeting. I think we are going to do much with zoom and stagger employees that have to be on site. Challenging times.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I just converted about a 8-4 person meeting tomorrow to a zoom meeting. I think we are going to do much with zoom and stagger employees that have to be on site. Challenging times.
Just spent an evening with someone that went through the Blitz, was evacuated at 6 years old, was carried from a bombed house by the ARP wardens, was laying in a gutter at 7 years old dodging German gunfire. I wouldn't even dare mention "challenging" in that context. Different times....but get real
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Just spent an evening with someone that went through the Blitz, was evacuated at 6 years old, was carried from a bombed house by the ARP wardens, was laying in a gutter at 7 years old dodging German gunfire. I wouldn't even dare mention "challenging" in that context. Different times....but get real

It is very challenging times and it will get worst. It’s not as bad as the Blitz, which was probably not as bad as the Sack of Carthage for instance.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by LAXlocal

What background would you use ? Go to the store and buy some drapes or material and hang it behind you ,
What about lighting ?

Thanks for your ideas
Zoom let's you pick a background photo (virtual background), I have mine set to mountains at the moment. It can look a bit weird with bulky headphones, but it works pretty well.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:06 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

What does it matter what's behind you? Why would anybody care?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:45 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Maintain a professional image.
KRSW and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't you give us Def Leppard?

This should make sense:

antichef and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by EmptyKim
Microsoft Teams has a blur background feature.
Originally Posted by javabytes

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Except Teams!

Blurring background is a good and acceptable way of not showing your background in a clear detailed look. This is probably the most cost-effective way of not letting your background be a distraction.

Originally Posted by LAXlocal

What about lighting ?

Thanks for your ideas
Yes, a neutral single colour background works the best. I have some which are surplus/end of roll drapery fabric which was bought cheap long time ago.

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
Zoom let's you pick a background photo (virtual background), I have mine set to mountains at the moment. It can look a bit weird with bulky headphones, but it works pretty well.
The whole idea of background is to complement the main subject, YOU. Also, it needs to look natural.
When I use scenery as a zoom background they are always taken inside with part of the room showing to give that natural look.
You can add some patio door or window frame lines to your background photo.

Originally Posted by Craig6z
Maintain a professional image.
If you don't care about a professional image then "nothing really matters".

Clean simple background enhances your "look". If you are in an internal meeting, it probably doesn't matter. If you are teaching/training/coaching then you need that professional image.
Recall the BBC correspondent doing live feed and his child, then mother burst into the room?

As someone who was a professional photographer during the times of chemical sensors, lighting is very important. While the technology of capturing the light/image has changed the physics of lighting has not changed.
Chromakey (green screen) does work very well. There is a cost involved in making it work, a good quality green screen and lighting it properly (evenly) is step one.
Then you need to light yourself properly. In order to look natural, the direction of the main light should be from the same direction on you as it is in the background photo.
To light yourself well and still be able to read your screen/monitor is another can of worms.

OMG, we haven't even touched on Audio

Takeaway:
Keep things simple within the expectation of your audience. If it is work from home internal meetings then blurring the background is probably enough.
Once you start down this techno-prefecto path there is no end in sight and a money pit.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:58 am

Ergonomics are important. So are noise cancelling headphones if you live with others. Possibly a door, too, if you have kids who are also staying home and don't need supervision.

For the non-serious meetings - Heard a office mate has a zoom background which looks like a dinosaur chomping his head or something like that? I suggested my partner request his co-workers hold up their pets during video conferences or stick in a toy. I heard they were playing their usual weekly co-worker in person D&D game over webex this evening. Awkward but evidently doable.

I find zoom audio when dialed in via phone and other side just a laptop in an open room to be quite hard to hear.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by freecia
Ergonomics are important.
Herman Miller Aeron Chair and electric sit stand desk with preset heights.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
Herman Miller Aeron Chair and electric sit stand desk with preset heights.
I have been saying I wish I could take my office chair (Aeron Size A) home. Not sure it would fit in my car's back seat. My team mate shared a sit stand desk which the local Costco might carry. My desk is an older Ikea desk which works for me as I rarely stand to work. I did bring home a keyboard & mouse wrist rest and made a foot rest with a few old large books and binder. My "laptop stand" is the box it came in but I might see if IT can lend me a slightly taller one for home use.

Just got to make sure I still stand up and move about.

Most importantly, I shouldn't put my laptop on the corner (aka horrible position) and twist to view it as the web cam/second screen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.