Search

Reading an old Mac floppy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Need
They are probably worth a lot of money especially if the 8kb memory Apple computer is an Apple 1
Unfortunately it is IIRC an Apple II with 8kb. I think it was picked up at Yale or taken from there by one of the perennial students in the family.

How much is it worth since it works still I think?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Hah, their solution is to buy an old Mac.

In any case, the disk I'm trying to read is a 1.44 MB HD floppy, which according to that article a USB floppy drive should be able to read.
Ok, if it is 1.44 MB HD floppy then the main task would be to find a software that can read the disk, assuming of course that the disk has not become corrupted. I would probably try next some GNU/Linux OS, for example Ubuntu, possibly from Live-media (DVD, USB-stick) and see if it can recognize the disk in some form. If the disk is still readable, at least it should be possible create a disk image file of the floppy media. With the image file, it might be bit easier to investigate various methods to extract some data from the disk.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:54 pm

Best bet is to find some local HAM radio guys. Most of these guys are older, and into electronics. Chances are they'll know someone in town who has older, still-running hardware that you could use. They'll also know all of the tricks to reading old media.

I keep a stash of functioning old PCs in our storage room to read old data. All the way back to DOS 3.3 for me. The IT guy across the street has original IBM XTs that still are fully operational.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:52 am

Maybe someone made an old Apple emulator that runs on Windows? Those may have I/O to floppy disk devices as I remember lots of older software especially games run off floppy disks.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have no idea how to help you, but this thread brings back memories of Apple II+ and school. Good luck.
LAX-1K likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Need
I wonder what would a 12 years old boy put on a floppy dsk locking it away to hide it from his parents.... hmmm
He better hope 12 year old him wasn't as paranoid as 12 14/15 year old me. All my files from back then were PGP encrypted... with a key I've long since lost. haha
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LordHamster
He better hope 12 year old him wasn't as paranoid as 12 14/15 year old me. All my files from back then were PGP encrypted... with a key I've long since lost. haha
Oh, that's a distinct risk. I had a PGP key with a whopping 768 bit key! But I don't remember encrypting any floppies, just wishing I had someone to email encrypted with.

I was a nerd (still am).
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:58 pm

Luxury! My first computer experience was with an IBM 1130.... Punchcard operated. Fortran IV. Some dick would often slip a fully punched card into your stack that was waiting to be run by the operator....
Those were funny days. Good luck to the OP!
tentseller likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.