Adding AppleCare+ to watch bought overseas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Silver, Sindbad Silver, Le Club Accor Gold, Flying Blue, IHG, Enrich

As anyone successfully managed to add AppleCare+ to an Apple product bought in another country to their own? Ideally, buying in country A & adding AppleCare+ on return to country B, though I'd be open to obtaining it at the point of purchase (Korea or, Japan). I've had mixed responses elsewhere but, they have all been based on opinions rather than fact.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't you just buy it online?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Silver, Sindbad Silver, Le Club Accor Gold, Flying Blue, IHG, Enrich
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Can't you just buy it online?
The watch or AppleCare+?

I think I need to explain further. I’m from the UK & as I will be in Korea & Japan next month, it will be an opportunity to make a substantial saving on the purchase of an Apple Watch. My current watch is a series 3 aluminium (no AppleCare) & I’ve managed to scratch the screen twice, hence I’d prefer to have AppleCare+ on my next watch, especially so if it’s the aluminium version.

If it’s not possible to do what I asked in my original question, I’d probably go for the stainless steel version with the more scratch resistant sapphire screen.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JDP1970
The watch or AppleCare+?
I think what planemechanic was asking is why not buy AppleCare+ online, after you purchase the watch. It's been awhile since I've purchased AppleCare (I don't see the value prop anymore) but in the past you could purchase AppleCare online, after your product purchase, as long as you did it within like 30 days.

You might want to research that possibility.

Regards
planemechanic likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
I think what planemechanic was asking is why not buy AppleCare+ online, after you purchase the watch. It's been awhile since I've purchased AppleCare (I don't see the value prop anymore) but in the past you could purchase AppleCare online, after your product purchase, as long as you did it within like 30 days.

You might want to research that possibility.

Regards
I’ve never bothered with it previously myself however, I’ve found the watch to be much more problematic keeping it free from knocks & bumps.

I know you can buy it online however, I don’t know if it will raise a red flag when I enter the serial number. That’s why I’m looking for someone with experience of doing this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't done it in a while, but it should not raise any red flags. Why would they sell it online if it did? That would be very un-Apple like.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The OP is not asking for opinions on whether or not it might work...
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: DL PM
I scratched my 3 in a couple of places before breaking down and searching for a screen protector. The IQ Shield screen protector not only protected my screen but made the scratches practically invisible and the protector itself is barely noticeable until it’s been on for a couple of months and needs replacing. The dings I put on the case still showed, of course, but that doesn’t bother me as much as screen scratches. I put an IQ Shield on my Series 5 before I scratched it, so the screen is still pristine.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:49 pm

Is applecare less expensive in your home country? You can buy applecare with the watch in Korea or Japan

Apple store in Japan also has tax free which results in the lowest price https://themacindex.com/products/app...h?currency=GBP

You can check service and support coverage https://checkcoverage.apple.com/kr/ko/ or localize https://checkcoverage.apple.com/gb/en I plugged my current watch serial number in to check coverage options and consumer protections differ for my JP Series 2 watch on the Korea vs US page. If you have other recent apple products then try a mock AppleCare purchase to test?

I also scratched my screen before putting a screen protector similar to IQ Shield. I really don't notice it much and will definitely put one on my next aluminum Apple watch as the protector is less annoying than the scratch. I like how light the aluminum model is. I own titanium jewelry, (not Apple) watch, and pens and they are generally prone to scratching. A titanium jeweler told me long ago that titanium is fairly crush resistant but not very scratch resistant, even when he put an anodized coating on the interior (which has also worn off after many many years of wear).

If you have a Series 3, then the oldest the watch can be is just a bit over two years. I don't think AppleCare+ makes sense as scratch protection with $49-99 fee + $69 service fee on the aluminum model if you're going to keep it for 2 years and don't work with your hands a lot. Some people might worry about cracking the screen and replacing the screen is a PITA and I'd worry about water resistant after that. It also bears consideration that you've probably paid ~ $329 GBP + tax, making it = 0.42/day or 153 GBP per year so far, so what would the AppleCare really buy you vs trading in a worn model and getting a new one every/few years.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Some Apple accounts in the US can get a discount on the AppleCare+ for US plan, like a $20 discount on the $199 AppleCare+ plan for some iPhone devices.

There may be some international (regional) variations in terms of the benefits coverage AppleCare+ provides to its plan holders. Is that a factor to consider when buying AppleCare+ for Apple watches?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
You can buy applecare with the watch in Korea or Japan
As a non resident?

Apple store in Japan also has tax free which results in the lowest price https://themacindex.com/products/apple-watch?currency=GBP
The macindex is a very useful guideline.

You can check service and support coverage https://checkcoverage.apple.com/kr/ko/ or localize https://checkcoverage.apple.com/gb/en I plugged my current watch serial number in to check coverage options and consumer protections differ for my JP Series 2 watch on the Korea vs US page.
I checked my current series 3 (purchased in Thailand) & received the following - Repairs and Service Coverage: Consumer Law Doesn’t Apply This product isn’t eligible for consumer law coverage because it was purchased in a different country from the one in which you are seeking service. You can speak with an Advisor or visit an Apple Retail Store to discuss your options. Apple’s Limited Warranty and benefits under an AppleCare product are separate from rights provided by consumer law.

If I attemped to purchase AppleCare+ back here in the UK they'd obviously know that the watch, or indeed any other Apple product was purchased overseas. I could always contact them to ask if it's permissible beforehand.

If you have other recent apple products then try a mock AppleCare purchase to test?
Aside from some items that would be classed as accessories, my most recent Apple product would be my iPhone XS Max, which is just over a years old, plus I bought it in the UK. I suppose when I arrive in Seoul I could attempt to obtain a serial number from a display device & use that. If it was going to red flag, I expect it would immediately do so on entering the serial number.

I also scratched my screen before putting a screen protector similar to IQ Shield. I really don't notice it much and will definitely put one on my next aluminum Apple watch as the protector is less annoying than the scratch. I like how light the aluminum model is. I own titanium jewelry, (not Apple) watch, and pens and they are generally prone to scratching. A titanium jeweler told me long ago that titanium is fairly crush resistant but not very scratch resistant, even when he put an anodized coating on the interior (which has also worn off after many many years of wear).
I've always used the screen protectors on my phones. I currently use the Belkin Invisiglass variants. Never considered it for the watch & having gone 15 months scratch free, I now have two within the space of a couple of months. I guess my luck ran out. I too like the lightness of the aluminium model as opposed to the stainless steel. The only thing that would make me consider buying the stainless steel variant is the sapphire screen. As for the titanium & ceramic versions, I've nothing against spending money on a good quality traditional watch however, Apple watches are effective mini computers & we all know how quickly technology ages.

If you have a Series 3, then the oldest the watch can be is just a bit over two years. I don't think AppleCare+ makes sense as scratch protection with $49-99 fee + $69 service fee on the aluminum model if you're going to keep it for 2 years and don't work with your hands a lot. Some people might worry about cracking the screen and replacing the screen is a PITA and I'd worry about water resistant after that. It also bears consideration that you've probably paid ~ $329 GBP + tax, making it = 0.42/day or 153 GBP per year so far, so what would the AppleCare really buy you vs trading in a worn model and getting a new one every/few years.
It's now 17 moths old & I'd hoped to get another year or, two out of it. I think to replace the screen in the UK it's Ł217 - not happening. Once they're scratched I think the trade in value is gone.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:07 pm

Yes, I'm fairly sure you can buy AppleCare in Japan with the initial device purchase as a non-resident. https://www.apple.com/jp/shop/buy-wa...E3%83%89-sm_ml lets me add a mock order with AppleCare to the cart and I was able to purchase the JP watch series 2 online (via Apple Friends & Family) as a tourist a few years ago. No tax-free for online orders, though.

Varying reports on if AppleCare+ is truly global https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...reign_country/ I was under the impression that it would be valid between the US and 2nd country if sells that sku or has like for like stock to replace it. I could be misinformed.

The UK may have different consumer protection laws
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202696
https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty...oryrights.html

/OT
If you go to Japan, Suica Eng(< iOS 13) on the iPhone/Watch is pretty convenient for reloading suica credit via foreign credit card https://atadistance.net/2019/03/24/t...a-english-app/ or iOS 13 Wallet https://atadistance.net/apple-pay-suica/. Physical suica cards are generally loaded by cash (for tourists) or domestic CC. It would work with an Apple Watch Series 3. Apple Pay & Suica on iPhone/Apple Watch in Japan [consolidated thread] Suica can also be used in Osaka/Kyoto where Icoca is accepted and instead of Tokyo Metro Pasmo except for day tickets and commuter (monthly) tickets.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
They commonly sell such plans even to non-residents, at least at the time of sale, in most (if not all) markets where Apple has its own direct retail sales presence; and I would be surprised if Japan were an exception to that.

I have used my US AppleCare+ plans for US-purchased Apple devices to get service for my Apple devices at Apple retail stores outside of the US; and in some cases the result was that I saved money over doing the same thing at US retail stores ... maybe because of differences in what is covered by the plan from region to region.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:47 am
Original Poster

I can answer my own question now. I purchased the watch at the Apple store in Seoul. I was offered Apple Care at the time of purchase - I declined as I ended up going for the Space Black Titanium, with the supposedly more scratch resistant Sapphire crystal screen. The sales assistant advised that I could change my mind within 60 days & either purchase it in Seoul or, in my own country - coverage is worldwide.
freecia and msp3 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.