Best Verizon flip phone?

Old Dec 26, 19, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Best Verizon flip phone?

My mother in law has had an LG VX8300 since 2004 and needs a new phone. What is the best Verizon flip phone these days? Don't care about cameras...she just needs a basic phone for phone calls and the odd text. Also needs Bluetooth if that's not a given.

At the Verizon store the other day, they had the Orbic Journey V and the Alcatel Go Flip V. We were leaning to the Alcatel at least partly because it's a brand I'd heard of.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 19, 11:55 am

I think AARP has one to check out.
Old Dec 27, 19, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Haven't seen an AARP phone. I suggested she port her number to Consumer Cellular (phone service for old people basically) and she wanted to stay on our Verizon family plan. We wound up getting her the Alcatel yesterday. It actually runs a stripped-down version of Android. Seems to be fine fer her needs but Verizon has removed the options to mass import contacts, either by syncing with an online service or by just importing them via the SD card or whatnot. THose menu options appear in the T-mobile version of the phone but not in Verizon's. So she has to manually re-add all her phone numbers. Also the Alcatel only supports "mobile" phone numbers in its address book. You can add multiple numbers per contact but they all show as "Mobile Phone" and not Home/Work/Other.
Old Dec 27, 19, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
Haven't seen an AARP phone. I suggested she port her number to Consumer Cellular (phone service for old people basically) and she wanted to stay on our Verizon family plan. We wound up getting her the Alcatel yesterday. It actually runs a stripped-down version of Android. Seems to be fine fer her needs but Verizon has removed the options to mass import contacts, either by syncing with an online service or by just importing them via the SD card or whatnot. THose menu options appear in the T-mobile version of the phone but not in Verizon's. So she has to manually re-add all her phone numbers. Also the Alcatel only supports "mobile" phone numbers in its address book. You can add multiple numbers per contact but they all show as "Mobile Phone" and not Home/Work/Other.
I have found in the past that most carriers (only have experience with T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint) have a device in their stores that can export contacts from one device and import them into another device. At sprint I have done Nextel to Android, at T-Mobile it was Windows Mobile to both Android and iPhone, and at Verizon we have done Android <-> Android and Android <-> iPhone.

it's been a couple of years, but I would be surprised if they can't still do it.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 19, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

They actually can't. We asked. It's apparently an old enough phone that they don't support doing anything with it anymore. It predates even having mini-USB conenctors on the phone and has LG's proprietary connector from that time period. The Verizon cloud data backup service doesn't support it anymore; going to the mobile web on the phone just produces a message that the mobile data is not supported on this phone anymore.

I finally wound up typing all her contacts into a spreadsheet and generating Vcards for them all, then putting all the Vcards in a text file, transferring the file to the new phone via Bluetooth, and importing all the contacts that way.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 19, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
They actually can't. We asked. It's apparently an old enough phone that they don't support doing anything with it anymore. It predates even having mini-USB conenctors on the phone and has LG's proprietary connector from that time period. The Verizon cloud data backup service doesn't support it anymore; going to the mobile web on the phone just produces a message that the mobile data is not supported on this phone anymore.

I finally wound up typing all her contacts into a spreadsheet and generating Vcards for them all, then putting all the Vcards in a text file, transferring the file to the new phone via Bluetooth, and importing all the contacts that way.
Wow, that sucks! Glad you got it worked out.

We switched my mom from a flip phone to an iPhone 6, based on the promise that it worked the same way as her iPad (and that she could play most of the same games). I was worried about her contacts - until I actually looked, and she had like 6. After I got her switched over she had more like 25, but she wasn't a big phone-talker so it didn't really matter all that much.
Old Dec 29, 19, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Wow, that sucks! Glad you got it worked out.

We switched my mom from a flip phone to an iPhone 6, based on the promise that it worked the same way as her iPad (and that she could play most of the same games). I was worried about her contacts - until I actually looked, and she had like 6. After I got her switched over she had more like 25, but she wasn't a big phone-talker so it didn't really matter all that much.
Hah, we considered an iPhone for my mother in law, based on the same promise, but she said she would probably still not be able to figure it out.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: