FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Adding AppleCare+ to watch bought overseas
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:40 pm
JDP1970

Programs: EK Skywards Silver, Sindbad Silver, Le Club Accor Gold, Flying Blue, IHG, Enrich
Originally Posted by freecia
You can buy applecare with the watch in Korea or Japan
As a non resident?

Apple store in Japan also has tax free which results in the lowest price https://themacindex.com/products/apple-watch?currency=GBP
The macindex is a very useful guideline.

You can check service and support coverage https://checkcoverage.apple.com/kr/ko/ or localize https://checkcoverage.apple.com/gb/en I plugged my current watch serial number in to check coverage options and consumer protections differ for my JP Series 2 watch on the Korea vs US page.
I checked my current series 3 (purchased in Thailand) & received the following - Repairs and Service Coverage: Consumer Law Doesn’t Apply This product isn’t eligible for consumer law coverage because it was purchased in a different country from the one in which you are seeking service. You can speak with an Advisor or visit an Apple Retail Store to discuss your options. Apple’s Limited Warranty and benefits under an AppleCare product are separate from rights provided by consumer law.

If I attemped to purchase AppleCare+ back here in the UK they'd obviously know that the watch, or indeed any other Apple product was purchased overseas. I could always contact them to ask if it's permissible beforehand.

If you have other recent apple products then try a mock AppleCare purchase to test?
Aside from some items that would be classed as accessories, my most recent Apple product would be my iPhone XS Max, which is just over a years old, plus I bought it in the UK. I suppose when I arrive in Seoul I could attempt to obtain a serial number from a display device & use that. If it was going to red flag, I expect it would immediately do so on entering the serial number.

I also scratched my screen before putting a screen protector similar to IQ Shield. I really don't notice it much and will definitely put one on my next aluminum Apple watch as the protector is less annoying than the scratch. I like how light the aluminum model is. I own titanium jewelry, (not Apple) watch, and pens and they are generally prone to scratching. A titanium jeweler told me long ago that titanium is fairly crush resistant but not very scratch resistant, even when he put an anodized coating on the interior (which has also worn off after many many years of wear).
I've always used the screen protectors on my phones. I currently use the Belkin Invisiglass variants. Never considered it for the watch & having gone 15 months scratch free, I now have two within the space of a couple of months. I guess my luck ran out. I too like the lightness of the aluminium model as opposed to the stainless steel. The only thing that would make me consider buying the stainless steel variant is the sapphire screen. As for the titanium & ceramic versions, I've nothing against spending money on a good quality traditional watch however, Apple watches are effective mini computers & we all know how quickly technology ages.

If you have a Series 3, then the oldest the watch can be is just a bit over two years. I don't think AppleCare+ makes sense as scratch protection with $49-99 fee + $69 service fee on the aluminum model if you're going to keep it for 2 years and don't work with your hands a lot. Some people might worry about cracking the screen and replacing the screen is a PITA and I'd worry about water resistant after that. It also bears consideration that you've probably paid ~ $329 GBP + tax, making it = 0.42/day or 153 GBP per year so far, so what would the AppleCare really buy you vs trading in a worn model and getting a new one every/few years.
It's now 17 moths old & I'd hoped to get another year or, two out of it. I think to replace the screen in the UK it's £217 - not happening. Once they're scratched I think the trade in value is gone.