Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Using Echo Dot in Hotel Room

Old Nov 4, 19, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood

Id like to use my Dot in my hotel room but am struggling. Can anyone walk me through how to connect Alexa to my hotel Wi-Fi using just the dot, my iPhone and/or my iPad?
Old Nov 4, 19, 10:28 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I would guess the problem is the hotel WiFi has a logon or some sort of landing page the the Alexa app can't handle. But I don't have any advice for you -- I've only connected to simple (SSID/password) WiFi networks.
Old Nov 5, 19, 1:49 pm

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
Using an Echo and the Alexa app with a captive portal can be hit and miss. The first step would be to run the wifi setup process and see if you get the hotel login. if not, there are a couple of ways people have made it work.

This post seems to work for a number of people,so follow those steps.

https://www.reddit.com/r/amazonecho/...ampus/du9b8sh/

Also, I've been pretty successful calling the wifi support line at the hotel and having them add a MAC address for me. If you give them the MAC address of the echo, it should connect without needing to log on, and that should eliminate any issues (once you go through the wifi setup process).
Old Nov 5, 19, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Use a travel router.

Travel Router for Wi-Fi Sharing
World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms
Old Nov 6, 19, 12:53 am

+1 for travel routers. It's awesome. Connect up the travel router to the hotel's WiFi and all of my devices automatically start working. No more trying to log in every single device.

I've used both an Echo Dot and Google Home Mini on the road many times without issue, WITH my travel router. If you have a more modern Samsung phone, they have a feature called Wi-Fi Sharing which functions as a travel router. I still use a standalone travel router so all of my devices will still run while I'm out of the hotel room.

As far as the smart speaker devices go, I've settled on the Google Mini for on-the-road use. Decent sound quality, much better at local information/directory services than the Amazon products. I also have a Fire tablet which has Alexa built in, so I have the best of both worlds.

Search this Thread