Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Replacing a Verizon Samsung Tablet- Now or Wait for 5G?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,

Current Samsung Verizon tablet is about 5 years old and only 16 GB which is forcing me to remove apps. There are reports of the new S6 tablets showing up in Korea with 5G capability. Can't see anything about the US market. When will we see Verizon 5G Android tablets? And does everyone kind of agree it would be worth waiting for?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hilton, DL
I'm not even sure Android tablets are worth buying anymore, since Google hasn't really supported that market segment for awhile now (and Samsung isn't really trying that hard either). I'd almost recommend buying a Surface Pro with LTE. You can use it like a tablet and it's a fully functional laptop when you need it. I bought my wife a Surface 6 Pro and really like it.

Last edited by OregonMan; Nov 7, 2019 at 6:03 pm
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:32 am

The chinese manufacturers have been doing a better job attacking the Android market than the big names, take a lot at them

https://www.chuwi.com/tablet.html
Xiaomi
Teclast
Huawei
Cube
https://techtablets.com/recommended-...ablets-brands/

As for your original question, no 5G isnt worth it right now. Tech still new, battery life isn't good and you hardly find actual 5g network. Also, 5G band are even more fragmented than 4G*, doubt the Korean version works on Verizon if you grey imported it

* Now, there are many phones supporting like 30 LTE bands, but a lot of phones/tablets still skip some, cost cutting reasons when your main customers probably don't need it
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
I’m an Apple person now, but a friend who loves Android has given up on Android tablets and uses a Microsoft Surface as mentioned above. He loves it. As for 5G, it won’t be significant in the US for a year or more. You might consider why you want 5G. Unless you regularly up/download massive amounts of data, I don’t see much use for it on a mobile device.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:24 am

Echoing many of the other comments here. I have 2014 Samsung Note 12" tablet and using a Kindle Fire 10" mostly to replace it now. No reason to spend major money on these.

And 5G in the USA is a joke. The frequencies they're using generally are in the higher bands which don't work inside buildings, etc. Even the NFL stadiums Verizon is lighting up with 5G don't have coverage in the entire bowl, let alone entire stadium.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.