Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Travel Router for Wi-Fi Sharing

Old Dec 26, 18, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

I will be staying at a resort with browser-based authentication Wi-Fi. Anyone can connect to the Wi-Fi but then you have to enter credentials like user id, room #, last name to get authenticated and have the Internet. Unfortunately, additional users/devices cost more money.

I am looking for a portable router that allows browser based authentication and share the Internet with other users/devices.

Any help is appreciated.
Old Dec 26, 18, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are a couple of existing threads on this...

OpenWRT, USB powered, dual band multi RJ45 travel router
World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms
Old Dec 26, 18, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM),AS MVP Gold 75K, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, DL Plat Medallion, MH Enrich Platinum
Might look into this one- works on airplanes also.

Amazon Amazon
Old Dec 26, 18, 3:06 pm

If they also offer cable (ethernet) access, there are quite a few programs that can share the cable internet connection through your notebook's wifi..
Old Dec 26, 18, 4:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
FWIW, I use one of the gl-Inet routers (the 750S) in hotel rooms and plug the WL-330 into a power pack for use on planes.
Old Jan 5, 19, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by zebranz View Post
Might look into this one- works on airplanes also.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZWOQZ6...545861110&sr=3
Is there something different about the WiFi service on airplanes compared to other locations such that only some travel routers will work?
Old Jan 5, 19, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM),AS MVP Gold 75K, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, DL Plat Medallion, MH Enrich Platinum
Originally Posted by unmesh View Post
Is there something different about the WiFi service on airplanes compared to other locations such that only some travel routers will work?
No idea. This was recommended to me as a way to use multiple units (computer, phone, tablet and/or share). Only used on a few international flights and worked.
Old Jan 5, 19, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by unmesh View Post
Nope, but I think that while aboard the emphasis is on portability and battery operation.
Old Jan 16, 19, 10:44 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, ICH Gold, *A Gold
HooToo Tripmate, but I'm rarely finding it necessary these days as most places I go have free WiFi that allows connecting multiple devices. The HooToo is also a battery/charger and I've had some airline security try and tell me I can't take it on the plane.
Old Jan 16, 19, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
Nope, but I think that while aboard the emphasis is on portability and battery operation.
I tried to do some reading on this and the closest I got to a description of a "special" WiFi network was a blog entry about some hotel chain that charged for WiFi and was looking at a combination of the MAC address and TTL field of the packets they were receiving to tell if they were from a router or an endpoint device and were black-holing the former! The blogger had customized his travel router that ran OpenWRT to work around this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT View Post
HooToo Tripmate, but I'm rarely finding it necessary these days as most places I go have free WiFi that allows connecting multiple devices. The HooToo is also a battery/charger and I've had some airline security try and tell me I can't take it on the plane.
I also got one of those years ago from the thread dave quoted above. I used to carry it everywhere as not all hotel got wifi.. most only have 1 Ethernet cable. Now I have not seen any hotel room that does not have WiFi but only Ethernet. Also most of the hotels now got free WiFi for all devices. The only places that still charge for internet per device seem to be cruise ships. I think I used the HooToo on Celebrity cruise and could not get the login page to pop up. I finally just gave up. Even though with 1 account, I could still log in from multiple devices, but only 1 device is active. As soon as another device logged in, it cuts off all the other devices.
Old Jan 18, 19, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Are you bringing a laptop? Your computer may be able to do this already if it's running Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...mobile-hotspot
Old Jan 19, 19, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT View Post
HooToo Tripmate, but I'm rarely finding it necessary these days as most places I go have free WiFi that allows connecting multiple devices.
I still use my travel router in almost every hotel I stay in.

It's not about paying for the Internet (wifi or otherwise), but for 2 main reasons :
1. It saves me having to log in on multiple devices. My laptop, tablet, and phone(s) all auto-connect to my router, and I just need to login with any one of them to have all of them working.
2. Chromecast. My Chromecast also connects to the router, and then I can control it from any of the other devices.

In some locations there's an exact bonus - VPN. eg, on a recent trip to China my router had 100% of my traffic routed over a VPN to avoid the Great Firewall.
KRSW and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Jan 20, 19, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
My Chromecast also connects to the router, and then I can control it from any of the other devices.
Funny you mention that; the router's NAT also provides a bit of a firewall from other guests in hotels that (for some strange reason) don't do WiFi Guest Isolation; there's been times when I've connected my CC/Fire Stick to the Hotel WiFi directly in such places and had someone in another room cast to it.
Old Jan 24, 19, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Are you bringing a laptop? Your computer may be able to do this already if it's running Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...mobile-hotspot
Good to know! I wonder if, when I'm running a VPN from the laptop, the shared connections go over the VPN too. VPN encryption performance is the Achilles heel of travel routers.

Search this Thread