Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

iPhone 8 case recommendation

Old Jun 24, 19, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Looking for a protective battery charging case for my iPhone 8 that leaves the port uncovered so I can plug an adapter.

Mophie is getting bad reviews so I'm wondering if there are others you recommend. Not even sure if the Mophie for iPhone 8 leaves the port uncovered.

Thanks.

Last edited by Analise; Jun 25, 19 at 8:42 am Reason: Clunky writing on my part — needed to tighten
Old Jun 24, 19, 10:54 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Have had a Mophie battery case for my iPhone 4, 6, and (now) 7. Always had excellent results. Have also tried off-brands, and while they worked they didn't reliably/consistently pass through sync signals when plugged into iMazing or iTunes.
Old Jun 24, 19, 11:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, National Executive
Any case will fit that description. If you want a battery case why not get the Apple one?

Also, beware cases that are too thick/weird which inhibit wireless charging. There are also cases that claim an 8 ft drop protection that are a nightmare to get on/off without feeling like you’re going to break your phone.
Old Jun 25, 19, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
Any case will fit that description. If you want a battery case why not get the Apple one?

The reviews on Apple's website for the one iPhone 8 battery case (mophie) they sell are very negative. They also sell a battery case that Apple says is specifically for the iPhone 7. Would that mean that it's not compatible with the 8? Those reviews are a bit better (2.5*) although no reviewers said they use it for their iPhone 8.

Also, beware cases that are too thick/weird which inhibit wireless charging. There are also cases that claim an 8 ft drop protection that are a nightmare to get on/off without feeling like you’re going to break your phone.
I appreciate that. I'm also concerned that a battery case will preclude my using a dongle.

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Have had a Mophie battery case for my iPhone 4, 6, and (now) 7. Always had excellent results. Have also tried off-brands, and while they worked they didn't reliably/consistently pass through sync signals when plugged into iMazing or iTunes.
I had used a Mophie for my SE which I liked because to charge it, you moved a lever. It could not have been easier. I don't see that lever on the newer one for the iPhone 8.

You're using one for the iPhone 7. Is that compatible with one for the iPhone 8? Can you plug in a dongle/adapter through your mophie battery case? If so, how do you charge it? Is there a lever?

Thanks.
Old Jun 25, 19, 7:45 am

I'm not sure what you mean by a dongle in this context.

The case takes a standard micro-USB plug, and the case, iirc, came with a USB-to-microUSB cord.

There is a small button on the back that you press and hold to charge the phone/stop charging.

I've always bought my Mophie battery cases from eBay sellers.

I don't know if the case for the 7 is compatible with the 8. The one for the 7 had a very slightly different form factor than the one for the 6, but different enough that I had to buy a new one for the 7.
Old Jun 25, 19, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm quite happy with my Spigen Tough Armor -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07481XLQN/ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07481XLQN/

It's survived quite a few drops, has a convenient kickstand, and $16.
Old Jun 25, 19, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by a dongle in this context.
I mean the adaptor to plug in to the port for the option of using lightweight wired earphones. I don't want a battery case to block the port.

The case takes a standard micro-USB plug, and the case, iirc, came with a USB-to-microUSB cord.
So the case leaves the bottom of the iPhone uncovered so I can plug an adapter into the port?

There is a small button on the back that you press and hold to charge the phone/stop charging.
That is great because I want to control when the battery case charges the phone.

I don't know if the case for the 7 is compatible with the 8. The one for the 7 had a very slightly different form factor than the one for the 6, but different enough that I had to buy a new one for the 7.
I appreciate that. I've seen on Amazon the Mophie case advertised as being compatible for the 6, 7 and 8; I found that too good to be true.

Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm quite happy with my Spigen Tough Armor….It's survived quite a few drops, has a convenient kickstand, and $16.
That looks good! I see that the battery case leaves the bottom of the phone uncovered so as not to block the port so I can plug an adaptor to use my own wired lightweight earphones while I figure out which wireless headphones to buy. Reviews look good. One issue some had was having access to the volume buttons

Is there a button or a lever that allows you to charge the phone?
Old Jun 25, 19, 9:04 am

I haven't yet found a battery case for iPhone 4, 6, or 7 that allows you to directly plug into the headphone jack on the phone. The case makes it too deep. Most cases come with very short patch cord though that allows you to do so.

One of the reasons I moved to a bluetooth earphone solution.
Old Jun 25, 19, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
I haven't yet found a battery case for iPhone 4, 6, or 7 that allows you to directly plug into the headphone jack on the phone. The case makes it too deep. Most cases come with very short patch cord though that allows you to do so.

One of the reasons I moved to a bluetooth earphone solution.
I can see that. The one reason I've been hesitant about moving to bluetooth is that I will have something else that needs to be charged; it's just one more thing I have to worry about with regard to making sure a battery doesn't die.
Old Jun 25, 19, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, National Executive
Originally Posted by Analise View Post
They also sell a battery case that Apple says is specifically for the iPhone 7. Would that mean that it's not compatible with the 8? Those reviews are a bit better (2.5*) although no reviewers said they use it for their iPhone 8.
Consider https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...one-8.2067812/

IIRC, the iPhone 6/6s, 7/8, X/XS each shared accessories as the measurements were so similar to each other it almost always worked.
Old Jun 25, 19, 4:54 pm

The Mophie battery case for the iPhone 6 fit the iPhone 7 -- BUT the placement of the headphone jack was just enough different that that didn't work.
Old Jun 25, 19, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Analise View Post
That looks good! I see that the battery case leaves the bottom of the phone uncovered so as not to block the port so I can plug an adaptor to use my own wired lightweight earphones while I figure out which wireless headphones to buy. Reviews look good. One issue some had was having access to the volume buttons

Is there a button or a lever that allows you to charge the phone?
It's just a phone case, not a battery charger plus phone case. So I'm not sure what you're looking for with a button or lever. You charge the phone by plugging into the lighting port. I have a 2:1 adapter to allow headphones and charging at the same time. Volume buttons work fine.
Old Jun 26, 19, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
It's just a phone case, not a battery charger plus phone case. So I'm not sure what you're looking for with a button or lever. You charge the phone by plugging into the lighting port. I have a 2:1 adapter to allow headphones and charging at the same time. Volume buttons work fine.
I'm looking for a protective case for my iPhone 8 that is also a battery charger. I had a Mophie for my iPhone SE so when my phone's battery was low, I moved a lever on the mophie case for it to start charging my phone.

In order to access the headphone jack on the SE while it was encased in the mophie battery charger, I had to connect an extender to my headphone cord.

With the iPhone 8, I'd have to plug into the one charging port to use wired headphones. I would need an extender to reach that port while my phone is in the mophie. Yet there is no extender for the mophie battery charger case on the iPhone 8 on the market. So if I buy the mophie, I would need to buy wireless headphones. I think I'm leaning in that direction anyway because Apple's smart battery case drains the case's battery even when the iPhone is fully charged. That makes no sense unless I'm missing something.

From what I've been reading online, there are only 2 battery charger cases for the iPhone on the market — Mophie and Apple's Smart Battery case.

I have a 2:1 adapter to allow headphones and charging at the same time.
That's interesting! Which do you have or recommend?

Search this Thread