Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Satellite texting- Garmin inReach or others

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2021, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
The mapping on the explorer is pretty poor, I rely on paper maps and FatMap on my phone. Most of the time I have my phone paired via bluetooth and never look at the screen on the inReach. I'd buy the mini as it's slightly cheaper and much smaller.
Just from looking at it it's pretty obvious the mapping must be poor--there's not enough screen to do a good job of it. Poor still is of great value in getting you out of the wilderness, though.

Besides, the main factor that made me choose the inReach over the mini was that the mini requires the phone for texting--without the it's no better than a locator beacon. As I am not a likely candidate for health issues severe enough to make me push the button I would say a fall would be the most likely reason I would need it--and the inReach is built far tougher than a phone. (I do not do the dangerous stuff, but things can happen anyway. I landed on my butt once when the ground I stepped on gave way.)
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Just from looking at it it's pretty obvious the mapping must be poor--there's not enough screen to do a good job of it. Poor still is of great value in getting you out of the wilderness, though.
The current in:Reach explorer has worse GPS maps than a comparable Garmin handheld GPS unit which is why I pointed it out. It's still the Delorme internals, not a Garmin developed device. The GPSMAP 66i is a much better device if you want a handheld GPS with satellite comms.

Besides, the main factor that made me choose the inReach over the mini was that the mini requires the phone for texting--without the it's no better than a locator beacon. As I am not a likely candidate for health issues severe enough to make me push the button I would say a fall would be the most likely reason I would need it--and the inReach is built far tougher than a phone. (I do not do the dangerous stuff, but things can happen anyway. I landed on my butt once when the ground I stepped on gave way.)
The mini does not require the phone for sending messages. You can send one of your preset messages with a few button presses and even tap out a more complex message if your phone is not available. It's tedious, but works in an emergency.

Garmin lineup from a recent hut trip
Need likes this.

Last edited by TechnoTourist; Apr 12, 2021 at 6:27 am
Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Besides, the main factor that made me choose the inReach over the mini was that the mini requires the phone for texting--without the it's no better than a locator beacon.
The mini definitely supports on-device texting and even composition - it's just very slow to do customs, for obvious reasons. But sending the preset and quick texts is easy.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gengar
The mini definitely supports on-device texting and even composition - it's just very slow to do customs, for obvious reasons. But sending the preset and quick texts is easy.
Huh? My understanding was that the inReach is slow to do customs on the device, the mini can't do them at all.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 7:12 am

Huh? My understanding was that the inReach is slow to do customs on the device, the mini can't do them at all.
https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?fa...606&tab=topics

Composing a Message on an inReach Mini
  1. Scroll to the Messages page and press OK
  2. Choose New Message or select an existing conversation
    • New Message
      1. Select New Message
      2. Select Select Contacts
      3. Select the desired contacts
      4. Select Done
      5. Select Write Message
    • Existing conversation
      1. Select the conversation
      2. Select Reply
      3. Select Write Message
  3. Use the up/down arrows to scroll through the alphabet
  4. Press OK to select a letter
    • After entering a letter the autocomplete prompt will appear:
  5. Continue typing letters to complete the message
    • To use autocomplete:
      1. Hold OK
      2. Select a word from the list of suggestions
      3. Press to go back to selecting individual letters
  6. After finishing the message select
  7. Select Send
The message will now be sent.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 7:56 am

What is meant by SEL?
Old Apr 17, 2021, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by docbert
Many cruises explicitly outlaw devices like these. If that's why you're buying it, be sure to check out if it's allowed first...

Why would a cruise line not want these? Any other situation also not like these?
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by bukzin
Why would a cruise line not want these? Any other situation also not like these?
Cruise lines offer WiFi and cellular at sea packages for purchase. All about the $$$ for the cruise line.
Loren Pechtel and bukzin like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by TGarza
Cruise lines offer WiFi and cellular at sea packages for purchase. All about the $$$ for the cruise line.
Generally how much and is it reasonably fast?
Old Apr 17, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by lsquare
Generally how much and is it reasonably fast?
Wifi on board can be very challenging. It all depends on how many people are trying to access the wifi at the same time, and where the ship is in relationship to satellites. Best not to rely on it for life and death communication.

My absolute best experience with wifi on board was using Skype to make an urgent call which lasted 45 minutes (which would have cost about $150 if not for the Skype connection). I was shocked that the call was not dropped. N.B.: My experience is that many lines block internet calling.

FYI: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1752
lsquare and TGarza like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Wifi on board can be very challenging. It all depends on how many people are trying to access the wifi at the same time, and where the ship is in relationship to satellites. Best not to rely on it for life and death communication.

My absolute best experience with wifi on board was using Skype to make an urgent call which lasted 45 minutes (which would have cost about $150 if not for the Skype connection). I was shocked that the call was not dropped. N.B.: My experience is that many lines block internet calling.

FYI: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1752
When I was on Celebrity cruise a few years ago, their internet package was pretty fast. Fast enough to stream video. Now they are including internet for free in all their cruises, so it could be slower when more people have access to them. I think soon all the ships (small and big) will be using Starlink when it is so cheap and fast.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Need
When I was on Celebrity cruise a few years ago, their internet package was pretty fast. Fast enough to stream video. Now they are including internet for free in all their cruises, so it could be slower when more people have access to them. I think soon all the ships (small and big) will be using Starlink when it is so cheap and fast.
I think that's the next step. Elon Musk have already applied with the FCC for Starlink to be used in moving vehicles. It only make sense for this to be installed on cruise ships and airplanes. Unfortunately some airlines made recent investments on their Wifi hardware so I'm not sure how eager they would be to install Starlink. However, if Starlink provides a massive capacity boost at affordable prices, I can imagine lots of companies signing up.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:41 pm

Hi all,
So a friend gifted me with an Isatphone2 (Inmarsat). Does anyone else here have a sat phone? It appears this device is sold world-wide. Is there any one place to get cheaper airtime than another?

This also has spurred me to look into satellite communicators like the Garmin inReach and Zoleo. Any thoughts on these?
Old Apr 9, 2024, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW
This also has spurred me to look into satellite communicators like the Garmin inReach and Zoleo. Any thoughts on these?
Scroll back a page or two and there is some discussion about the InReach. What specifically do you want to know?
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:11 pm

@TechnoTourist: I guess I'm trying to figure out if I'd use one. Yes, I do find myself and get sent to disaster areas somewhat often. BUT, I've always managed to keep communications going. I'll give the cell carriers some credit in Florida. Even with Cat 5 hurricanes, I've usually been able to get basic communications (text, voice on the PSTN) for a few minutes at a time, enough to get the basic "we're okay" or "sending generator & batteries".

I do fly in small aircraft a lot, which is where I think the satellite communicators might come in handy, as data service for small aircraft is ridiculously expensive, both equipment and airtime. I usually tell people to call Flight Service in an emergency and have them relay a message and I can drop down to ~2000' AGL and pick up mobile reception again.

With the inReach, how do people reach you, ie: they initiate the conversation? How long does it take for messages to be sent? The monthly rates seem a bit high for what you get, but at the same time, satellite phone airtime isn't exactly cheap and I don't think it'd be stable in-flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.