FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Satellite texting- Garmin inReach or others
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:11 pm
KRSW

@TechnoTourist: I guess I'm trying to figure out if I'd use one. Yes, I do find myself and get sent to disaster areas somewhat often. BUT, I've always managed to keep communications going. I'll give the cell carriers some credit in Florida. Even with Cat 5 hurricanes, I've usually been able to get basic communications (text, voice on the PSTN) for a few minutes at a time, enough to get the basic "we're okay" or "sending generator & batteries".

I do fly in small aircraft a lot, which is where I think the satellite communicators might come in handy, as data service for small aircraft is ridiculously expensive, both equipment and airtime. I usually tell people to call Flight Service in an emergency and have them relay a message and I can drop down to ~2000' AGL and pick up mobile reception again.

With the inReach, how do people reach you, ie: they initiate the conversation? How long does it take for messages to be sent? The monthly rates seem a bit high for what you get, but at the same time, satellite phone airtime isn't exactly cheap and I don't think it'd be stable in-flight.