Scam calls

Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I came across a new one :

If you know it is a scam call reply with ( in your best announcer's voice)

"Hello, YOU are on the air...." Be ready with a radio station name / call sign and a spiel about you can win XYZby answering simple questions like your name and who do you work for ".
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Jason who pitches for home alert for senior citizens-must be a computer genius! Every time I block his calls, he manages to call me from a different number. All from my area code, misleading me to believe that I am missing an important call. Having visited several medical facilities for my ailment, I answer Jason's calls without knowing who it was. Not answering is not an option for me as many of the medical facilities leave a message and often there is an extension behind the calls.
Jason must be put behind bars!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Gynob001
Not answering is not an option for me as many of the medical facilities leave a message and often there is an extension behind the calls.
Jason must be put behind bars!
Everytime you visit a new medical facility, put their main number, as well as the direct line from the office you are visiting, in your contact list. Stop answering unknown numbers.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Even as telemarketing and survey/polling callers can be an annoyance and the scam calls are a nuisance that seems more persistent and widespread nowadays than in prior decades, the calls I have disliked the most are the fax machine calls that repeatedly call voice numbers and have the handshake noise running for 45-120 seconds and eating up voice mail space just as much. Fortunately, with visual voicemail records and more advanced call blocking and rerouting options, it’s essier than ever to not have time wasted by such things.

Some young people quite literally do whatever they can to avoid taking phone, voice or video calls and prefer everything communicated from afar come to them as text messages and/or email. But even with all this going on, the persistence of nuisance call-making parties seems to be on the most extreme level ever.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by GUWonder
........... But even with all this going on, the persistence of nuisance call-making parties seems to be on the most extreme level ever.
Agreed. I got 3 yesterday. And those were just the ones that left computer voiced messages. one said they were trying to reach me "about a very important issue with my cars extended warranty" (I don't own a car :-) ) another said they were with the IRS and the third, my favorite, said that they were "The department of social security numbers" and to find out more about my case I should "just press 1". I hit block# when they call, so a fair number go right to voicemail, but it's still annoying.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by flightyryan
Hey guys I'm new around here, but an iOS developer, and I used to work at Apple too. I had this exact same issue and I tried all the different apps - NomoRobo, Hiya, etc - and the best one BY FAR is RoboKiller.

I think it's like $10/yr but it's so worth it. I get max 1-2 calls per month now vs 3-5 per day. They also have a fun feature that auto-answers the spammers phone calls and messes with them via pre recorded audio, that you can listen to.😆 There's a free trial, so try it out. I can't post URL's yet but google RoboKiller.
Welcome to FT.... Is your profile supposed to say Flighty or Fighty?????
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some young people quite literally do whatever they can to avoid taking phone, voice or video calls and prefer everything communicated from afar come to them as text messages and/or email. But even with all this going on, the persistence of nuisance call-making parties seems to be on the most extreme level ever.
To be fair, a lot of us now work in open office environments where there’s nowhere for us to take a personal call during working hours without being overheard. I prefer emails and text messages both because they leave a permanent record and they’re more private. Agreed on the spam/scam calls getting worse though. It’s got to the point where I don’t answer any unknown number - if it’s legitimate, they’ll leave a message. You can’t even assume local numbers are legitimate anymore since so many spammers spoof them.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I am proud to announce I have performed my magnum opus. This week I was sitting in a Charlotte hotel room between court appearances when the phone rang. I answered and was told by "Agent Jack Carter" of the "United States Federal Treasury" that there was a warrant out for my arrest because my social security number had been compromised. I was told that 25 new bank accounts were opened in my name and if I didn't work with them they'd arrest me. Now, here's where it gets fun. They had my father's name (we have the same name, he's a 3rd and I'm a 4th) so they asked how old I was. I said 69. The agent said "you don't sound like you're 69. I said "you don't sound like your name is Jack Carter" and he laughed nervously and proceeded. He then proceeded to spoof the number of the Durham Police Department and an "Officer Matthews" called me (a different person) to confirm I would work with the treasury. I was told to go withdraw money from my real bank account and then Officer Carter would help me put the money into a "locked wallet". They would then shut down the fraudulent bank accounts and the next day two treasury agents would bring me a new social security number. I was told to go to the bank right away or I'd be arrested.

So being bored I became an actor. I knocked on my bathroom door and told my "boss" I was going to lunch. I used Youtube for sound effects of a car door opening and shutting and ignition and then I hummed while "driving to the bank". Once there I told the agent I had to leave my phone in the car as it was illegal to use your phone in the bank. He said "don't tell me about laws, I am US citizen!". I convinced him I had to leave the phone and further convinced him I had withdrawn $15,000. He then told me I had to drive to Target where I assume I was to buy gift cards. Unfortunately, at this point he asked me to honk my horn to prove I was in the car and he didn't fall for the Youtube sound effect horn. He started to curse me and I cursed him right back and told him I had wasted his time for over 50 minutes and he'd been scammed. He was in stunned silence until he hung up.
GUWonder, HawaiiTrvlr and 747FC like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tentseller
Hook the fax machine to you phone line. When a live scammed comes onto the line, hit the receive button.
A good idea.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:30 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
For a few days I got a call ( local number ) then got a message that my SS number was frozen as were all benefits and that if I wanted to resolve to push 1. So out of curiosity did that.

"May I help you"
me: I told them I was called about SS
" can you give me name, SS#, DOB and address "
me: No, can you tell me what this is about!!!
"f**k you and a lot of other insults"

Wow didn't even try a second time, funny eastern european accent, couple calls with a couple different numbers, each time I got more interested, the insults got more creative.

Wonder if these fools found anyone that gave up the information.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.