Scam calls

Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
I have Nomorobo on my landline and it has worked very well up until recently. Now calls get past it several times a day. I simply answer and don't say anything, and then hang up. My theory is if they don't hear a voice (either real or from a voicemail greeting) they won't call the number again. Of course I have not idea if this actually works, but I figure it can't hurt and I don't have to listen to the phone ring a bunch of times before it goes to voicemail.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by HMPS
Getting calls last 2-3 days, did not pick up. Recorded message in Mandarin left. Today I answered it, live person speaking Mandarin came on, every 30 seconds I kept on saying " nee ha" ( my version of greeting). Caller was disgusted and hung up after 3 mins ! Let us see what happens !
Try "Cao ni ma". The tone on "ma" is rising. Probably can't say what it means here
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by misdirected baggage
I flew thru ohio on my way to OGG and suddenly began getting almost hourly spam calls with spoofed ohio area codes. Coincidence ? Perhaps. I now just send all calls to VM, since most spoofs think you're on the mainland and come in the middle of the night there.
We can send a spacecraft to Pluto, but can't fix this?
Blame the &^%$) Lobbyists & Politicians ! Next time tell them to call you and give them the White House No.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by HMPS
Do give us pointers of how to stretch....I do have time sometimes. Although do not answer phone while driving.
What you need is the Jolly Roger Telephone Company. Very effective. Very cheap.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
If they're Chinese, consider asking them what they think of Winnie the Pooh...that's probably a safe way to either get them to cut the call or suddenly get a bit of unwanted attention ;-)
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:35 am

I have a coworker who always answer calls and try to talk to them to "waste" their time. The more he did this, the more calls he gets. I used to joke that he probably pissed them off and they sent his number to 100 of their friends. But now I am not so sure this is NOT true. I never answer my phone and I don't get that many calls. I just let them go straight to voicemail.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
If they're Chinese, consider asking them what they think of Winnie the Pooh...that's probably a safe way to either get them to cut the call or suddenly get a bit of unwanted attention ;-)
Likewise if you think the caller is Indian ( accent, verbage) then keep saying things like, interrupt often !

Hey that Katrina looks hot !
I love your Bollywood movies
I enjoy those skimpy costumes showing belly buttons on Bollywood actresses
What is the latest good movie ?

Good Hunting
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:12 am

There has been an increase in robo calls lately, and depending on where you are they can also spoof the numbers to make it look like these are local numbers. There is a robo call blocker if I remember correctly, although I'm not sure if it is a paid service. However, if it's not a robo call then I wouldn't know what to do as well. I don't answer calls from people I don't know unless there is a text message beforehand, but I suppose getting many calls in one day would be annoying even if left alone to ring.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Had my first robocall where the robot launched into initial presentation. I kept on saying "si" at every juncture, human came on, same si he , hung up !
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:02 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

A friend in Mexico says she gets scam calls saying that someone kidnapped her siblings. Ugh.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:39 pm
Company Representative, Flighty App

Programs: flighty.com
RoboKiller

Hey guys I'm new around here, but an iOS developer, and I used to work at Apple too. I had this exact same issue and I tried all the different apps - NomoRobo, Hiya, etc - and the best one BY FAR is RoboKiller.

I think it's like $10/yr but it's so worth it. I get max 1-2 calls per month now vs 3-5 per day. They also have a fun feature that auto-answers the spammers phone calls and messes with them via pre recorded audio, that you can listen to.😆 There's a free trial, so try it out. I can't post URL's yet but google RoboKiller.
HMPS likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Co worker of mine used to claim he thwarted telemarketing calls with this line:

"Hey, what color underwear are you wearing?" followed buy a suitably creepy laugh. Makes no difference if the telemarketer is male or female..they don't stay on the line. If they do, well YMMV.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:04 pm

They have some really hilarious ones. And the app has a section that highlights the funniest one. There's a great one about a guy asking the telemarketer to give him honest feedback if he has a chance to go on American Idol and he sings (horribly) to him. Guy bites hook, line, and sinker.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flightyryan
They have some really hilarious ones. And the app has a section that highlights the funniest one. There's a great one about a guy asking the telemarketer to give him honest feedback if he has a chance to go on American Idol and he sings (horribly) to him. Guy bites hook, line, and sinker.
What program / service are you talking about ?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:18 pm

RoboKiller!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.