Reload this Page >

SIM for multi-country Europe trip and options for calling home

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2023, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serpens
Here are instructions for what phone settings to use when a travel SIM has been activated. The initial wiki is for an iPhone (in particular, an iPhone SE 2020 with iOS 16.6), but perhaps others will expand the wiki to clarify the steps for other phones or other operating system versions.

* Before arriving in the travel area, turn off roaming on the home SIM (to avoid any roaming charge).
- At Settings > Cellular, under SIMs, choose the home SIM and turn off Data Roaming.
If there is a Network Selection option (which is apparently not available with Consumer Cellular), choose a network on which the phone cannot roam, for example, 313-100.

* After arriving in the travel area, use the following settings.
- At Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data, choose the travel SIM and turn off Allow Cellular Data Switching.
- At Settings > Cellular > Default Voice Line, choose the home SIM.
- At Settings > Cellular, under SIMs, ensure both home and travel are On.
- At Settings > Cellular > [home SIM], ensure Wi-Fi calling is On and Data Roaming is Off.
- At Settings > Cellular > [travel SIM], ensure Data Roaming is On and (optionally) Low Data Mode is On.

Corrections are welcome, as are elaborations of what these settings mean and do.
Print Wikipost

SIM for multi-country Europe trip and options for calling home

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2022, 11:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Related question...

What kind of SIM do you recommend for a Europe trip to non-EU countries?

I'll be visiting Albania and Montenegro later this year. I was going to pick up a local SIM, hopefully at the Tirana airport after I arrive. I'll be driving, and will cross the border to Montenegro by car (yes, Hertz will allow it). In theory I can pick up a separate SIM card after that, but would be better if I could use one for both.
Old May 14, 2022, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Related question...

What kind of SIM do you recommend for a Europe trip to non-EU countries?

I'll be visiting Albania and Montenegro later this year. I was going to pick up a local SIM, hopefully at the Tirana airport after I arrive. I'll be driving, and will cross the border to Montenegro by car (yes, Hertz will allow it). In theory I can pick up a separate SIM card after that, but would be better if I could use one for both.
If you only need data and have a handset that accepts esim, have a look at Airalo. Theres much more info in the esim thread.
Old May 18, 2022, 9:02 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
On Three UK's website, there's this note:

Go Roam update

To unlock your UK allowance in Go Roam in Europe, there’s a 2 daily roaming charge. When you Go Roam Around the World, it’s 5.* The daily roaming charge is triggered as soon as you use any of your plan's allowances in a Go Roam destination and lasts for 24 hours. If you’re on Pay As You Go, or your Pay Monthly plan started before 1 October 2021, these charges won’t apply.
I don't exactly understand what this means. Does that mean the roaming charge won't apply for Pay As You Go numbers period? Because that would make Three UK sims from Amazon a great option still.

Last edited by Nayef; May 18, 2022 at 9:16 pm
Old May 19, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Nayef
On Three UK's website, there's this note:

I don't exactly understand what this means. Does that mean the roaming charge won't apply for Pay As You Go numbers period? Because that would make Three UK sims from Amazon a great option still.

I just entered France in to their country checker, and the following came up

Good news!

Franceis a Go Roam in Europe destination, so youll be able to use your data. Plus, you can call and text back to the UK, and between Go Roam in Europe destinations. A daily roaming charge applies if youre a Pay Monthly customer who joined or upgraded on or after 1 October 2021.

Make sure you're set up for roaming before you head off:
How to turn on roaming
Sounds like pay as you go is exempt from the 2 fee. Seems like it's still a good deal for the occasional traveler. I'd have though it'd be the other way around, but whatever.
Nayef likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I talked to 3 customer service about 3 weeks ago. I have a Pay As You Go plan well before 2021. They told me the surcharge does not apply to me. I was real happy to hear that. If I remember correctly she said it was because I had been a customer for so long. Go to the 3 website and you can talk to a CS agent on chat, and ask them if PAYG is free roaming. I do get text sometimes of welcome to the US. You are in a free roam country. your minutes will come out of your allowance.
Nayef likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Should I just sign up for Google Fi to use in France or just buy Free Mobile prepaid when I arrive in France? Can I get a Free Mobile sim card at CDG?
Old May 19, 2022, 3:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
If you only need data and have a handset that accepts esim, have a look at Airalo. Theres much more info in the esim thread.
My phone (iPhone X) doesn't accept an eSIM. I guess I have to buy a SIM card after I arrive.
That's generally what I've done when traveling; go to a local shop, get a local SIM, and trade them out (certainly keep my US SIM card handy).
Old May 19, 2022, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Should I just sign up for Google Fi to use in France or just buy Free Mobile prepaid when I arrive in France? Can I get a Free Mobile sim card at CDG?
Free Mobile doesn't do prepaid, only no-contract postpaid. See posts in the France prepaid thread for more info.

Unless you need tons of data you're probably best off with an eSIM from Airalo or one of their competitors. If you do need tons of data, it could be worth signing up with Free and cancelling when you leave.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by der_saeufer; May 19, 2022 at 5:22 pm
Old May 19, 2022, 7:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
It's not just data that puts Free at an advantage. None of the "usual suspects" when it comes to data eSIMs offer any with call or text functionality. Free includes calls and texts in its monthly allowance.
Old May 19, 2022, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Free Mobile doesn't do prepaid, only no-contract postpaid. See posts in the France prepaid thread for more info.

Unless you need tons of data you're probably best off with an eSIM from Airalo or one of their competitors. If you do need tons of data, it could be worth signing up with Free and cancelling when you leave.
Oh! Is it easy for a foreigner to sign up for Free Mobile? How do I sign up?

Any examples of foreigners' accounts canceled for exclusively roaming abroad?
Old May 19, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
If you want a physical SIM, then sign up at a physical location. There'll be a machine that will take your credit card to either charge it once (if you choose a one-month auto-terminating plan) or authorize it for auto-pay (if you want an open-ended month to month plan) and spit out a SIM. If you want an eSIM, sign up online with your credit card. You'll need a French address (hotel/AirBNB) to complete this.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by SirSherlockHolmes
GiffGaff in the UK is a PrePaid phone carrier that runs on O2, you can get 10GB for 10 which is the perfect amount for me for small layover trips, and ~$1/GB vs $10/GB is much much better. They will mail a SIM to you for free to your US address. So no need to go out of the way.
Originally Posted by SirSherlockHolmes
This is my referral link, we both get a 5 credit, so your initial month is only 5.

https://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/natha87529?app=1
So I just tried to use this link, and when I go to enter my US address I can't figure out how to do it. When I select "let me type in my address manually" it tells me:

Must be a UK postcode

Am I missing something?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
So I just tried to use this link, and when I go to enter my US address I can't figure out how to do it. When I select "let me type in my address manually" it tells me:

Must be a UK postcode

Am I missing something?
It turns out I *was* missing something. Thanks to a helpful FT member (you know who you are), I figured out that my work computer was blocking something in the website and the country dropdown wasn't showing.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just use Onoff, solves all my problems and I get LOCAL numbers pretty much everywhere important in Europe.
bukzin likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:00 pm

Question

Originally Posted by hfly
I just use Onoff, solves all my problems and I get LOCAL numbers pretty much everywhere important in Europe.
Maybe I don't fully understand what it does. It seems similar to what Google Voice is doing, but maybe with a bit more flexibility. But if your phone still has your network carrier's SIM card in it (which it must, otherwise you have no access to the GSM network and internet, no?), then presumably you're still using your carrier's minutes/data allowance... Which defeats the purpose of what I think this thread is about -- avoiding the roaming costs from your network carrier while traveling.

Or am I totally wrong?
bukzin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.