Reload this Page >

SIM for multi-country Europe trip and options for calling home

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2023, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serpens
Here are instructions for what phone settings to use when a travel SIM has been activated. The initial wiki is for an iPhone (in particular, an iPhone SE 2020 with iOS 16.6), but perhaps others will expand the wiki to clarify the steps for other phones or other operating system versions.

* Before arriving in the travel area, turn off roaming on the home SIM (to avoid any roaming charge).
- At Settings > Cellular, under SIMs, choose the home SIM and turn off Data Roaming.
If there is a Network Selection option (which is apparently not available with Consumer Cellular), choose a network on which the phone cannot roam, for example, 313-100.

* After arriving in the travel area, use the following settings.
- At Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data, choose the travel SIM and turn off Allow Cellular Data Switching.
- At Settings > Cellular > Default Voice Line, choose the home SIM.
- At Settings > Cellular, under SIMs, ensure both home and travel are On.
- At Settings > Cellular > [home SIM], ensure Wi-Fi calling is On and Data Roaming is Off.
- At Settings > Cellular > [travel SIM], ensure Data Roaming is On and (optionally) Low Data Mode is On.

Corrections are welcome, as are elaborations of what these settings mean and do.
Print Wikipost

SIM for multi-country Europe trip and options for calling home

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2019 | 2:55 pm
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Thought Id circle back and say total success with the sub $20 Three 12GB SIM cards. Activated in US before leaving (takes 24 hours for activation so do it ahead of time...you get a confirmation via email).
Just a bit of a different experience for me...I put in my Three 12 GB SIM and instantaneous got a text that activation could take 30 minutes. About 30 seconds later, got another text indicating that the SIM was activated for data use only while in the USA. The company literature included with the SIM does encourage activation while still in the USA.

I haven't left, so can't provide further experience.
Nayef likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019 | 2:57 pm
20 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by 747FC
Just a bit of a different experience for me...I put in my Three 12 GB SIM and instantaneous got a text that activation could take 30 minutes. About 30 seconds later, got another text indicating that the SIM was activated for data use only while in the USA. The company literature included with the SIM does encourage activation while still in the USA.

So what's the safer bet? And why are there contradictory directions?

Last edited by Nayef; Jul 27, 2019 at 4:38 pm
Old Jul 27, 2019 | 10:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Nayef
Is there an app or a number or anything that can show data usage for that SIM card?
Yes. You can call 333 and via menu find out how many GB you have left. I did that every 4 days or so.
Nayef likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019 | 10:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Nayef
So what's the safer bet? And why are there contradictory directions?
The instructions say to go to a website and enter info first, before entering sim in phone. The next day i got an email saying activated and sim ready. Id suggest doing it the way the instructions on your sim read. Its only one day. Since above poster hasnt used sim abroad yet, we dont know its fate.
Nayef likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019 | 12:38 am
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis

The instructions say to go to a website and enter info first, before entering sim in phone. The next day i got an email saying activated and sim ready. Id suggest doing it the way the instructions on your sim read. Its only one day. Since above poster hasnt used sim abroad yet, we dont know its fate.
Very interesting. I got different instructions!
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 9:17 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Anyone have any experience with Orange Holiday Europe? going to France and need tethering...

Availabe on
Amazon Amazon
for $50, I think it's 40 euros in France..

thanks
FDW
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 10:37 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Anyone have any experience with Orange Holiday Europe? going to France and need tethering...

Availabe on Amazon for $50, I think it's 40 euros in France.
Its data expires after two weeks. There are many cheaper options available.
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Its data expires after two weeks. There are many cheaper options available.
only going for 13 days, I need tethering and somewhere in neighborhoood of 12-15 GB I think (will be supplying multiple devices
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
only going for 13 days, I need tethering and somewhere in neighborhoood of 12-15 GB I think (will be supplying multiple devices
Three UK has 12 Gb for 20 (30 days). Unless you require a French number, this plan is one of the cheapeast out there for 10+ Gb. Even their 36 Gb for 27.50 is still cheaper, but tethering will be limited to 19 Gb per month while roaming in EU. Plus, they finally started supporting LTE when roaming.
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Knig
Three UK has 12 Gb for 20 (30 days). Unless you require a French number, this plan is one of the cheapeast out there for 10+ Gb. Even their 36 Gb for 27.50 is still cheaper, but tethering will be limited to 19 Gb per month while roaming in EU. Plus, they finally started supporting LTE when roaming.
thanks. I ran across a bunch of stuff saying that Three was only 3G when roaming in many countries. Looking at their website it looks looks they are indeed 4G in France. Ill look into it. I dont think I absolutely need a French number.

chris
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 3:02 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Gold, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I have no experience using this in the EU, but giffgaff is currently running a 30-day plan with 40 GB of data, with 20 GB available while roaming outside of the UK in the EU, for 20: https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans.
Old Aug 10, 2019 | 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Any of these simcards allow reloading online?
Old Aug 11, 2019 | 12:26 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Gold, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
Any of these simcards allow reloading online?
I'm assuming you mean if you don't have a locally-issued credit or debit card. As far as I know, most cell providers allow reloads online for residents of the country where the SIM is purchased with a local credit or debit card. For non-residents of the UK, Giffgaff does. For non-Irish, Tesco Ireland does (I have one for my Irish trips) but Tesco UK does not for non-UK.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019 | 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I'm assuming you mean if you don't have a locally-issued credit or debit card. As far as I know, most cell providers allow reloads online for residents of the country where the SIM is purchased with a local credit or debit card. For non-residents of the UK, Giffgaff does. For non-Irish, Tesco Ireland does (I have one for my Irish trips) but Tesco UK does not for non-UK.
Is a Tesco Ireland prepaid simcard worth it? What are the rates? So anyone with an online account can reload their Tesco Ireland card and use it exclusively for roaming? I wonder at what point they'll cut someone off if they were to do that.
Old Aug 26, 2019 | 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by 747FC

I did have the same experience like you wrt activation yesterday . Since I am leaving only on Friday, I have removed the SIM card from my iphone ( I am in Canada).
Have you started using it in Europe? and your experience thus far .
BTW: If I am in Italy or France , will I have to dial the country code ( like International call) to reach a local number in Italy or France since this is UK card ?
Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.