Wiki Posts
Search

eSIM

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

eSIM

I didn't realize the long-awaited eSIM was actually a thing, but apparently it has been supported in a couple of Android phones for a bit now. Apple has jumped on the bandwagon with the new iPhone Xs and Xs Max. I know manufacturers have been trying to get eSIM functionality in their phones for a while, and always heard that the carriers were fighting them. Apparently the carriers finally gave in.

Has anyone used an eSIM in their travels? How's it work?

Here's Apple's discussion of it:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
This is silly, just Apple trying to pass of as innovation what has been available in the rest of the world. The fact it's an "eSIM" is the only novelty, but conversly most carriers won't support it. A ton of high-end and entry-level Android phones already support dual SIM with two physical SIMs, I use two SIMs in my phone all the time.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

They have a list of several carriers that do support it. I am aware that other phones support two physical SIMs. That isn't new, and it's not what I'm talking about.

Apple's entire business model lies in taking smallish innovations that others did a while ago with little fanfare, giving them a slick marketing name and trumpeting them as if they were an amazing breakthrough. But that's also not what they're doing here.

I just thought eSIM was cool.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It seems like AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon support it in the US. For US-based folks, this will probably be helpful, as it will allow you to have your incumbent carrier on the eSIM, then put in any microSIM from another provider. Although, T-Mobile has made it especially easy to do away with the dual SIM concept with their DIGITS app. Now I don't have to forward my TMo number to my Google Voice, and I have three phone numbers on one phone.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It feels like Apple finally came around to supporting this as roaming charges came way down, but I get that the Chinese market is different in this regard.

I'd really love to see eSIM QR codes available in vending machines when I get off a plane in a foreign country. Haven't noticed one yet. They'll have to be pretty cheap and easy to be worthwhile, though.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
It seems like AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon support it in the US. For US-based folks, this will probably be helpful, as it will allow you to have your incumbent carrier on the eSIM, then put in any microSIM from another provider. Although, T-Mobile has made it especially easy to do away with the dual SIM concept with their DIGITS app. Now I don't have to forward my TMo number to my Google Voice, and I have three phone numbers on one phone.
DIGITS is kinda flaky, though.

As for eSIM, hopefully the concept gains traction on Android as well as iOS. Installing a SIM card in a phone isn't exactly a huge hassle but it would be nice not to have to.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I didn't realize the long-awaited eSIM was actually a thing, but apparently it has been supported in a couple of Android phones for a bit now. Apple has jumped on the bandwagon with the new iPhone Xs and Xs Max. I know manufacturers have been trying to get eSIM functionality in their phones for a while, and always heard that the carriers were fighting them. Apparently the carriers finally gave in.

Has anyone used an eSIM in their travels? How's it work?

Here's Apple's discussion of it:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044
It's strange that the support page only mentions the XS and XS Max. However, Apple says that the XR also has an eSIM and nano-SIM. on the model compare page at https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
DIGITS is kinda flaky, though.

As for eSIM, hopefully the concept gains traction on Android as well as iOS. Installing a SIM card in a phone isn't exactly a huge hassle but it would be nice not to have to.
DIGITS worked well for me when I was on a prepaid plan in Australia for month earlier this year.

At least for eSim, it looks like it'll support multiple profiles(but only one active at a time), which means you still have some flexibility. I think it's going to matter if carriers are gonna let us sign up for prepaid on a eSim(and how easily that is done).
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Apple's ad hoc end-user provisioning is something new, the first eSIM devices in the US were early Sprint LTE devices that were locked down cold.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
This is silly, just Apple trying to pass of as innovation what has been available in the rest of the world.
What seems silly to me is criticizing Apple for simply stating "here's how you use this new feature." Where are they "trying to pass of as innovation"?

You can use two cellular plans with your iPhone Xs or iPhone Xs Max, a nano-SIM, and an eSIM. An eSIM is a digital SIM that allows you to activate a cellular plan from your carrier without having to use a physical nano-SIM. Here's how to set up and use a cellular plan using an eSIM.
Such blatant puffery??
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I wonder if they will sell the physical dual-SIM model in Hong Kong, or will it just be in China? I prefer the dual SIM option, as I assume there is likely no way ATT will support the e-sim in their prepaid plans which is what I use.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I wonder if they will sell the physical dual-SIM model in Hong Kong, or will it just be in China? I prefer the dual SIM option, as I assume there is likely no way ATT will support the e-sim in their prepaid plans which is what I use.
AT&T's website says this, for what it's worth:

Dual SIM support will be available via a free software update later this fall. Use of Dual SIM requires two wireless service lines (which may include restrictions on roaming). Certain restrictions apply to use.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:36 pm

I own an Apple iPhone X and a ZTE Axon 7. I would prefer to have a dual SIM iPhone, but don't want to empower my carrier too much. I have ATT's international unlimited for data. I love Apple's LTE band support. I love a lot of things about the iPhone. I prefer Apple Pay to Android Pay. I prefer the single secure password vault to the app-by-app approach I see in Android.

I don't love how I can't change some of the default apps for third party equivalents. I prefer Android Auto to Car Play and more relevant to this discussion, I like the apps that are country aware and will automatically change dialer settings when I cross a border. I prefer how Android gives the power to me rather than my carrier to make various settings. For example, with ATT I can't play a video with a lightening cable to an HDMI set because ATT has locked out tethering because of my data plan. Are those settings going to lock me out even if I switch data to other SIM in slot 1. I would also prefer to SIM slots to an ESIM, but would really like both.

At least on my Axon, I hate the fact that I can't stream most music through my USB and have to use inferior Bluetooth. My iPhone never seems to lockup. I have been frustrated at times with my Axon. While it is normally not a big deal, when driving it can be a huge deal.

When Apple announced the Xs, I was about to preorder it. I've since decided to wait and see how the implementation goes.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:38 pm

Does this mean that I can't use this phone with my unlimited international plan (at least with a local SIM card in the other slot)?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I have an iPhone 6s when I download IOS 12 will I get an Esim? Just wondering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.