Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Are we All Suckers for Using Expensive Phones When a Cheap $40 Will Work Fine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are we All Suckers for Using Expensive Phones When a Cheap $40 Will Work Fine?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm a 6'4" dude and I can't get a large phone in my pockets without it being awkward. Normal dress slacks here...I'm not rocking cargo pants just so I can haul around a phablet.

The Galaxy S7 is already pushing the limits on size in terms of ability to carry it in a pocket. I can totally see where a smaller person would much prefer the iPhone 5 size phone.
Mine always goes in a shirt pocket. Of course styles are away from shirt pockets these days.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Mine always goes in a shirt pocket. Of course styles are away from shirt pockets these days.
No idea what's in style or not, but it's certainly easy to find shirts with a left-breast pocket, and casual ones tend to be wide enough to take a fairly big phone (although my last two phones poke well out the top; I've taken to putting it in upside down lest the visible camera make people think I'm filming.)
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:27 am

Relevant:

https://threatpost.com/down-the-rabb...ection/128390/
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:11 am

I can fit a plus sized iPhone in jean pockets, but it does leave a bulge and is somewhat unsightly. Maybe I should consider a belt holster!

Regarding using expensive phones, if the phones were simply call/text, then I would agree. However, phones these days have turned into consumption and productivity devices in addition to communication. I do think that $800+ phones are pushing it though.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
good gravy, let's just cut it out with the "pants pocket size" off-topic non sequitur.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
No idea what's in style or not, but it's certainly easy to find shirts with a left-breast pocket, and casual ones tend to be wide enough to take a fairly big phone (although my last two phones poke well out the top; I've taken to putting it in upside down lest the visible camera make people think I'm filming.)
I like polos, not dress shirts. Pockets are very much out of style these days.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
good gravy, let's just cut it out with the "pants pocket size" off-topic non sequitur.
It's quite relevant to the question of "are some phones too large/not large enough" -- although I think about all that's worth saying about it has been said. People have different ways of carrying phones, and for some of people, phones can be too big for how they choose to carry them.

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I like polos, not dress shirts. Pockets are very much out of style these days.
I've never known pockets to be all that common on polo shirts -- very few I owned back when I wore them regularly ever had pockets, back to the early 1990s... although I've mostly stopped wearing them in favor of short-sleeve woven ones (whether "dress" or "sport" or faux-or-real-"Aloha".)

They're not that hard to find, though -- a search for "pocket polo" on Amazon shows more than a full page of results, all of which look at a very casual scan like what you'd expect (knit polos with pockets, mostly short sleeve with a few long.)
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I may well buy another flagship for the camera. But, an Iphone certainly does not have 17.5 times the functionality of this phone, but it does cost 17.5 times as much for the base model.
LMAO. Using this logic between cost vs. value you should be flying in deeply discounted airline seats, carrying a $200 Chromebook laptop, driving a $15K Toyota Yaris, and eating generic-branded groceries etc. But I bet you aren't. (Me either.)
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:14 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by WWGuy
LMAO. Using this logic between cost vs. value you should be flying in deeply discounted airline seats, carrying a $200 Chromebook laptop, driving a $15K Toyota Yaris, and eating generic-branded groceries etc. But I bet you aren't. (Me either.)
^

Originally Posted by Vaucluse
I have no need for faster FPS, low light capability is indeed something I'm interested in, however, that's what my prime lens for
If of course you that shallow DOF is what also works, sometimes it ain't just F1.4 but you need F2.8 and with a smartphone sometimes that deeper DOF is rather nice
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WWGuy
Isn't a major strand on FT about only paying for the deeply discounted airline seats, and then getting to sit in better ones?

For that matter, to have a comparable value gap between the cheapest and most expensive cars, that's more like comparing a Yaris to a not even that low-end exotic (I'm not sure I can even name a $262,000 car.) Either that, or we're more like talking about a used 1993 Camry vs. a new one

...and there are plenty of staple groceries where it makes no sense NOT to buy store-brand/generic ones, unless the brand one happens to actually be cheaper (which is not entirely unknown even wiithout sales, and not really that uncommon on sales.)

That said, there are definitely knees in the price/value curve for a lot of things. For most people, the difference between a $15,000 car like the Yaris and a $30,000 car or crossover like a better-spec'd Camry are going to be a lot more obvious and useful than between the latter and a $60,000 Mercedes. For some smaller number of people people the opposite will be true.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: United MP
I think the argument is more like why should I buy an expensive Toyota when my Dodge works just fine.

Perhaps a better one is what do I need all this electronic stuff like a GPS, a backup camera, lane departure warning, airbags, etc... When my car without all that works just fine. I actually do drive a car without most of that, but I still use an iPhone.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
People can be at different points on the adopter continuum for different product types. I'll probably always be late-majority on anything automotive. Our family is still driving around in gasoline-powered Hondas and probably will do so for at least 5 more years. Cars are just an appliance to me. Once I meet someone really happy with their 12-year-old Tesla, I will consider buying one.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I can easily afford an iPhone every couple of years.

Or even every year if necessary.

So why should I pinch pennies for an inferior product?

You can't take it with you, as they say.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I use my iphone for a lot of things. In addition to stuff like music and photos I use it for:

Emails
Task management
Text messaging
Web access
Work group collaborations
Exercise tracking
Mediation
Travel - boarding passes, information on delays, airport information and seat info
dictation and recordings
occasionally presentations - I can do a 2 hour slide presentation from it including
Web based movies
Restaurant ratings and reservations
Taxis and car services (Juno and Lyft)
Siri for various things
Weather

Oh, and phone calls.

You can’t do most of those things on a flip phone.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I use my iphone for a lot of things. In addition to stuff like music and photos I use it for:

Emails
Task management
Text messaging
Web access
Work group collaborations
Exercise tracking
Mediation
Travel - boarding passes, information on delays, airport information and seat info
dictation and recordings
occasionally presentations - I can do a 2 hour slide presentation from it including
Web based movies
Restaurant ratings and reservations
Taxis and car services (Juno and Lyft)
Siri for various things
Weather

Oh, and phone calls.

You can’t do most of those things on a flip phone.
No one suggested a flip phone (or rather, basic phone) instead of a smartphon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.