Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Are we All Suckers for Using Expensive Phones When a Cheap $40 Will Work Fine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are we All Suckers for Using Expensive Phones When a Cheap $40 Will Work Fine?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Most $50 Android phones off Amazon/ebay are Chinese and typically unlocked.
There are also quite a lot of carrier locked retail phones, mostly at that price point for prepaid. They tend to be no better than the comparably priced cheapie unlocked phones, but they are quite readily available at big box discount stores like Walmart and Target vs. requiring going online. I haven't looked into whether they're readily unlocked in years, given how easy it is to get decent ones online, but then again my price sensitivity isn't big enough that the difference between a $60 phone and a $119 Moto E4 would be worth the research to find a non-junk $60 phone.

There are also occasionally clearance name brand phones.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by nkedel
There are also quite a lot of carrier locked retail phones, mostly at that price point for prepaid. They tend to be no better than the comparably priced cheapie unlocked phones, but they are quite readily available at big box discount stores like Walmart and Target vs. requiring going online. I haven't looked into whether they're readily unlocked in years, given how easy it is to get decent ones online, but then again my price sensitivity isn't big enough that the difference between a $60 phone and a $119 Moto E4 would be worth the research to find a non-junk $60 phone.

There are also occasionally clearance name brand phones.
Same here. So easy to buy cheap unlocked.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:59 am
hln

Originally Posted by kb9522
Verizon is in the process of refarming their spectrum for LTE. By 2020 (I think) they will no longer be using CDMA at all. The device I currently have is LTE only and works on Verizon.
I don't see the point in paying hundreds to upgrade to a new phone every year. And many cheaper phones offer the same perks as the expensive phones. But it really depends on your personal preference and what you can afford.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I recall months ago I read something about phones with fingerprint sensors are as low as $100 now and didn't think much of it. Recently had to replace a phone and noticed my carrier had this (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/zte-max...?skuId=5902408) for about $45 net. I then clicked through the review link and was just amazed at what an under-$50 phone can do nowadays: Huge screen, fingerprint reader, long battery life, USB-C, high-performance cellular radios (HPUE for my carrier), etc. Cell phones have come such a long way...
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by msp3
I recall months ago I read something about phones with fingerprint sensors are as low as $100 now and didn't think much of it. Recently had to replace a phone and noticed my carrier had this (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/zte-max...?skuId=5902408) for about $45 net. I then clicked through the review link and was just amazed at what an under-$50 phone can do nowadays: Huge screen, fingerprint reader, long battery life, USB-C, high-performance cellular radios (HPUE for my carrier), etc. Cell phones have come such a long way...
I remember paying over $5000 for my Motorola with car Kit in 1988 without installation
estnet, GadgetFreak and Silver Fox like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by msp3
I recall months ago I read something about phones with fingerprint sensors are as low as $100 now and didn't think much of it. Recently had to replace a phone and noticed my carrier had this (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/zte-max...?skuId=5902408) for about $45 net.
In fairness, that's a ~$180 phone. The only reason you're seeing it for $45 is because you're committing to 2 years of Sprint service with it. (Although some of the Sprint deals are easy to get out of, as shown by my $140 Essential PH-1 from them...)

I bought the slightly older model of that ZTE Max for my sister a few years ago from Best Buy - unlocked and outright for just under $150, and it certainly is a great phone, especial for that price (or at least, it was until one of her kids dropped it and broke it...)
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I bought a €79 Wigo Jerry3 in Paris to get me through the trip when my regular phone died. It was much better than nothing but vastly inferior to the Pixel 2XL I replaced it with as soon as I got home. The number one function I wanted it for was mapping -- and its compass could barely tell which hemisphere the phone was pointing at. Its camera is crap, and I'll never get the nice pictures I'd have been able to take with a decent phone.

It served its purpose, barely, but it was in no way a substitute for a high-end phone.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:28 pm

Could someone please recommend an unlocked Android phone that has a decent 4" (or larger) screen and which can be bought online for a reasonably quick delivery? Alternatively, are there any easy ways to unlock a new phone that is bought from one of the retailers like Walmart? My price point is ideally around $65.

Also, what is the cheapest phone one can currently get to use Google's FI service?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Phones that can be activated in project fi
https://fi.google.com/about/phones/

You can use other phones once a sim card is activated, but limits functionality.
https://www.androidauthority.com/psa...phones-792301/

if you want a fully capable fi phone at that price, check the used market. Cheapest new phone appears to be around $200.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Sep 30, 2018 at 7:16 am
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by puchong
Could someone please recommend an unlocked Android phone that has a decent 4" (or larger) screen and which can be bought online for a reasonably quick delivery? Alternatively, are there any easy ways to unlock a new phone that is bought from one of the retailers like Walmart? My price point is ideally around $65.

Also, what is the cheapest phone one can currently get to use Google's FI service?
Some of the phones sold at retail are already unlocked--Target used to sell unlocked BLU phones, for example. Anything without carrier branding should be good to go. If you can spend closer to $100 online, the previous generation Motorolas are a good bet.

Cheapest phone for Fi would be a used Nexus 5X or Nexus 6, though note that neither of those phones was renowned for its battery life so ~3 years on your charger may be your best friend. (Also note that in both cases you need to buy the North American version of the phone). Cheapest new phone is a Moto G6 for $200.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTravel
One interesting feature is DeX, which is a small dock that turns the Note 8 into a "Android computer." Though it is designed for HDMI, I use it with a Display Link portable USB monitor.
How do you get Dex to work with the Display Link monitor? I couldn't get it to work.
Old May 11, 2021, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting to see this get bumped.

There's a continuum, from the $40 subsidized budget phones, to absurdities like the iPhone X. There's no one value proposition that will be best for everyone. For me, as I've said up-thread, midrange Android phones have offered the best value for some time, but that isn't intended to say that they're going to be the best value for everyone or even necessarily anyone else.
A couple of years later, that's still true for me. Nicely, what appeared to be upper pressure on the midrange seems to have subsided, and there are back to being a bunch of really nice phones either under $400 or which go on sale regularly enough under $400.
Old May 12, 2021, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Interesting to see this get bumped.

A couple of years later, that's still true for me. Nicely, what appeared to be upper pressure on the midrange seems to have subsided, and there are back to being a bunch of really nice phones either under $400 or which go on sale regularly enough under $400.
Apple's gotten into the $399 (MSRP) market with the (unlocked) iPhone SE (2) since 2020. I guess that's one way to try to avoid seeing households migrating away from the Apple ecosystem in a world with plenty of Android phones in the $150-$250 range that pack in enough to satisfy most consumers on a stand-alone basis.
Old May 12, 2021, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Apple's gotten into the $399 (MSRP) market with the (unlocked) iPhone SE (2) since 2020. I guess that's one way to try to avoid seeing households migrating away from the Apple ecosystem in a world with plenty of Android phones in the $150-$250 range that pack in enough to satisfy most consumers on a stand-alone basis.
...and Google has the very nice Pixel 4a, bringing their entry point back to the same price point.

I am on the Nokia 8.3 these days and am extremely happy with it. I doubt I'll travel internationally again soon enough to see if their dual-SIM implementation is decent, but everything I use day to day just works, and right now it's the best phone for it's time that I've owned since the Nexus 6.
GUWonder likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I've been happy with the lower priced Android phones for the last several years, buying a new model each year to avoid the common complaint that these entry-level phones don't generally receive an Android upgrade from the system they shipped with, but last year, I bought a mid-level ZTE phone on the basis that two Android system updates would be offered. Android 10 came in last fall for my phone, and apparently 11 is on the horizon. I probably paid twice what I normally would for this phone, but I figured I wouldn't need to buy a new phone until next year because the software would be regularly updated--although admittedly, not at the cutting edge.

I'm still not certain what my strategy will be going forward since the cash outlay is about even. If I have any concerns that would make me go back to yearly purchases, it's that the features offered on phones that I care about tend to make their way down to the lower-priced phones fast enough that waiting for two years for a hardware upgrade might not be worth the software upgrades I got with this phone.

No matter what I do, though, I still haven't seen anything that ever makes me want to purchase a much more expensive phone--whether Android or Apple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.