FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are we All Suckers for Using Expensive Phones When a Cheap $40 Will Work Fine?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:11 am
nkedel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by WWGuy
LMAO. Using this logic between cost vs. value you should be flying in deeply discounted airline seats, carrying a $200 Chromebook laptop, driving a $15K Toyota Yaris, and eating generic-branded groceries etc. But I bet you aren't. (Me either.)
Isn't a major strand on FT about only paying for the deeply discounted airline seats, and then getting to sit in better ones?

For that matter, to have a comparable value gap between the cheapest and most expensive cars, that's more like comparing a Yaris to a not even that low-end exotic (I'm not sure I can even name a $262,000 car.) Either that, or we're more like talking about a used 1993 Camry vs. a new one

...and there are plenty of staple groceries where it makes no sense NOT to buy store-brand/generic ones, unless the brand one happens to actually be cheaper (which is not entirely unknown even wiithout sales, and not really that uncommon on sales.)

That said, there are definitely knees in the price/value curve for a lot of things. For most people, the difference between a $15,000 car like the Yaris and a $30,000 car or crossover like a better-spec'd Camry are going to be a lot more obvious and useful than between the latter and a $60,000 Mercedes. For some smaller number of people people the opposite will be true.