Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best calendar for joint Apple/Android family?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best calendar for joint Apple/Android family?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Ditto
I really doubt Yahoo haven't updated their privacy policy since the 1980s
Was meant tongue-in-cheek.

What makes you say that Apple privacy policy is better than Google?
Some various links I found (I have read much on it in years past, but couldn't think of any specific article so Googled and found)
https://www.quora.com/Which-is-bette...e-or-Microsoft
https://decentralize.today/apple-vs-...r-a7022bd452b1

At the very core, Apple makes their money selling you a physical product. Google doesn't. Chrome is free, Gmail is free, Android is licensed free of charge to manufacturers and with limited exceptions, you don't buy your phone from Google. They make their money off your data.

You also can't quite compare an e-mail only account to a google account registered with your andriod phone which provides much more, though I had a quick look, if I try to create a gmail account or a yahoo e-mail account, yahoo requires me to provide a phone number, while gmail doesn't...
You can also put in fake info
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
We don't. Somebody looking for me on social media wouldn't find anything posted by either of us.
But is it about what searches on the net are showing people, or about what the big companies hold in their database?
My social media accounts are also 'limited' and I never post anything public, it doesn't mean Facebook don't have all my pictures and other info in their database, and they mine that data to show me relevant ads etc. etc.

No, it absolutely relevant to compare the info we had to give to create the accounts we have now with what we would be required to provide to switch. Why would I want to switch to a system that wants to track my every move on the net in order to have a working calendar?
But it doesn't, all you need is a gmail account, which only requires your name and birth date, none which have to actually be real, just like with your Yahoo account...

You're assuming that all the various Google services are of value. To me, they're a d@mn memory wasting nuisance, not an asset. Like I said, I recently helped set up an Android phone, and I had to decline or hunt down a way to turn off at least 20 different things. No, the user of the phone does not wish to have Google know their location and where their friends are at all times! Big brother at its worst.
I'm not, and I also turn off many features I don't need on my phone, I'm just saying it's not an apple to apple comparison, and many people couldn't care less about google tracking their movements if they get some benefits out of it, heck people are even happy to put Amazon Echo in their home even though it always listens to what they say and upload that to the cloud...

Our Yahoo accounts are of sufficient age that there are no phone numbers attached to our Yahoo accounts, and mine doesn't even have my real name on it. Back when I got it, nobody used their real name on the net.
Again, you don't have to supply a real name opening a gmail account.

It may eventually be a losing battle, but I will fight to protect my privacy as long as I can. Right now I'm just looking for a working calendar app.
Well, you're looking for a calendar app to share a calendar between multiple devices, so unless you will build your own app, and have your own server somewhere in the internet hosting the data, you will have to share your calendar data with someone...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
The simple answer is the best one: Google calendar. It's accessible to everyone and in my experience it works flawlessly.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
The simple answer is the best one: Google calendar. It's accessible to everyone and in my experience it works flawlessly.
Absolutely. And if you don't like their privacy policies and you find apple calendar buggy, you'll have to look to other places, some of which you may need to pay for.

A quick (google) search turned up something called Cozi. http://www.cozi.com/calendar/ I have no experience with them, but might be worth researching.

I've been happy with google calendar. I haven't found it to be something Google monetizes so obviously as they do search.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
Absolutely. And if you don't like their privacy policies and you find apple calendar buggy, you'll have to look to other places, some of which you may need to pay for.

A quick (google) search turned up something called Cozi. http://www.cozi.com/calendar/ I have no experience with them, but might be worth researching.

I've been happy with google calendar. I haven't found it to be something Google monetizes so obviously as they do search.
I think OP will need to update the thread title to Best non-Google Calendar....

Because otherwise, there will be 20 other posts coming in saying "Google Calendar".
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by drewguy
I have a friend that swears by Cozi. I found the interface clunky. To have any decent features, you have to pony up $20/yr (not sure if that is per phone or per family).
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
But it doesn't, all you need is a gmail account, which only requires your name and birth date, none which have to actually be real, just like with your Yahoo account...

Again, you don't have to supply a real name opening a gmail account.
Referring back to setting up Gmail for a non-tech person recently - we did have to enter a real phone number which texted a code number which then had to be entered back into the registration process. Using its calendar feature would require putting in real, actual personal information, contacts, Dr. Names, etc. That's the point of a calendar: keeping track of personal information which I do not wish any Google product to have.

I don't like Google, my past experiences with Google have been negative, I don't want to deal with Google, so repeatedly going on and on about it isn't helpful.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
I think OP will need to update the thread title to Best non-Google Calendar....

Because otherwise, there will be 20 other posts coming in saying "Google Calendar".
One can only hope they would actually read part of the thread before posting.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:28 pm

Referring back to setting up Gmail for a non-tech person recently - we did have to enter a real phone number which texted a code number which then had to be entered back into the registration process.
Again, no, I just opened a gmail account with nothing but a fake name and a fake birthdate, there wasn't even a need to provide a fake phone number, this might be different if you do it from an android device I suppose, and/or you might have not noticed that not all fields are mandatory, if you opt to add a phone number it only makes sense google will try to verify it first.

Using its calendar feature would require putting in real, actual personal information, contacts, Dr. Names, etc. That's the point of a calendar: keeping track of personal information which I do not wish any Google product to have.
Fair enough, if you don't like it, don't use it, I don't quite see why you need to provide so much info for a simple calendar, but that might just be me, when I have an appointment with my GP I don't need to put in my calendar anything more than exactly that, my GP contact doesn't have to be stored in the same place.

I don't like Google, my past experiences with Google have been negative, I don't want to deal with Google, so repeatedly going on and on about it isn't helpful.
While slightly OT, it is still part of the discussion, but I will stop now, and I will wish you good luck finding an alternative solution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.