Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best calendar for joint Apple/Android family?

Best calendar for joint Apple/Android family?

Reply

Old Sep 25, 17, 6:38 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,088
Best calendar for joint Apple/Android family?

About 2 updates ago the calendar on both my iPhone and Apple laptop began mysteriously deleting events. Long story short, it ain't just me, the Apple message boards have hundreds of posts about the problem. I've tried all the work arounds suggested on the Apple boards and they don't work.

Things I enter on Yahoo do stay on my son's calendar, but no longer show up in my account, even though they used to.

So now I am looking for a calendar app/program that can be shared with my Android/HP using offspring. Suggestions? Ones to avoid?
CDTraveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 17, 12:04 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,431
I'm using google calendars which are associated with gmail accounts, they sync nicely to my android phone, my mac, Ms. Ditto's ipad and ofcourse they are also available on the web.
ross123 likes this.
Ditto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 17, 12:16 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HaMerkaz/Exit 145
Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Posts: 12,984
Also a fan of Google calendar. App works nicely on both Android and iOS (both iPhone and iPad) and web. Can also access it through the Mac calendar app and Windows 10 calendar app
joshwex90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 17, 7:56 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,876
Originally Posted by joshwex90 View Post
Also a fan of Google calendar. App works nicely on both Android and iOS (both iPhone and iPad) and web. Can also access it through the Mac calendar app and Windows 10 calendar app
Works with Alexa too.
Need is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 17, 10:08 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: gggrrrovvveee (ORD)
Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,999
Also using google calendars between my iPhone family and myself, the lone Android user.
gobluetwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 17, 1:01 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,876
Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
Also using google calendars between my iPhone family and myself, the lone Android user.
Same here, lone Android user! I have 7 lines on my family plan, 6 of them on iPhones. Good thing is that nobody use iMessage or TXT anymore.... everybody uses Whatsapp.
Need is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 17, 6:27 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,088
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
I'm using google calendars which are associated with gmail accounts, they sync nicely to my android phone, my mac, Ms. Ditto's ipad and ofcourse they are also available on the web.
Appreciate the suggestion, but we don't use any Google services. Their privacy policies and practices are appalling, and I can't find a reason to let them snoop through my life, let alone give them my calendar and contacts.
CDTraveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 17, 6:55 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,333
Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
Appreciate the suggestion, but we don't use any Google services.
How do you use Android without Google services?

Amazon store instead?
soitgoes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 12:30 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HaMerkaz/Exit 145
Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Posts: 12,984
Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
How do you use Android without Google services?

Amazon store instead?
OP said the offspring use Android, not him/her
joshwex90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 1:25 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,088
Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
How do you use Android without Google services?

Amazon store instead?
A mix of Amazon and Yahoo on offspring's phone. He mainly uses it for texts, calls and calendar, sometimes email, not games, music or books. (yes, very atypical teen ).
CDTraveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 1:28 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,431
Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
Appreciate the suggestion, but we don't use any Google services. Their privacy policies and practices are appalling, and I can't find a reason to let them snoop through my life, let alone give them my calendar and contacts.
Do you really think Yahoo/Amazon/Apple privacy policy is any better?
Ditto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 1:35 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HaMerkaz/Exit 145
Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Posts: 12,984
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Do you really think Yahoo/Amazon/Apple privacy policy is any better?
I say this as a Google person. Apple's privacy policy is indeed better than Google's. (By much? Perhaps not. But it is better.) I'm sure Yahoo!'s is great considering it was probably written in the 1980s before data mining was a reality! And I'm sure Amazon's is on par with Google.
joshwex90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 1:38 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,088
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Do you really think Yahoo/Amazon/Apple privacy policy is any better?
Based on fairly extensive research, yes, I do.

Have you ever read Google's policy? Or researched what public interest groups say about them?

One example: both of us have very old (in internet years) Yahoo accounts. Back then you had to provide minimal personal information to get an email account. I was helping someone set up an Android phone with gmail recently and it is not possible to do so without providing about 10x the info required for our Yahoo accounts.
CDTraveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 2:01 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,431
Originally Posted by joshwex90 View Post
I say this as a Google person. Apple's privacy policy is indeed better than Google's. (By much? Perhaps not. But it is better.) I'm sure Yahoo!'s is great considering it was probably written in the 1980s before data mining was a reality! And I'm sure Amazon's is on par with Google.
I really doubt Yahoo haven't updated their privacy policy since the 1980s, what makes you say that Apple privacy policy is better than Google?

Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
Based on fairly extensive research, yes, I do.

Have you ever read Google's policy? Or researched what public interest groups say about them?

One example: both of us have very old (in internet years) Yahoo accounts. Back then you had to provide minimal personal information to get an email account. I was helping someone set up an Android phone with gmail recently and it is not possible to do so without providing about 10x the info required for our Yahoo accounts.
I have not done an extensive research into the privacy policy, no, I think privacy is long gone considering I have a Facebook account, a Linkedin account etc. etc., further comparing what was required 10 (or more?) years ago to open an account to what is required today is a bit irrelevant.

You also can't quite compare an e-mail only account to a google account registered with your andriod phone which provides much more, though I had a quick look, if I try to create a gmail account or a yahoo e-mail account, yahoo requires me to provide a phone number, while gmail doesn't...
Ditto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 2:24 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,088
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
I have not done an extensive research into the privacy policy, no, I think privacy is long gone considering I have a Facebook account, a Linkedin account etc. etc.,
We don't. Somebody looking for me on social media wouldn't find anything posted by either of us.

Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
further comparing what was required 10 (or more?) years ago to open an account to what is required today is a bit irrelevant.
No, it absolutely relevant to compare the info we had to give to create the accounts we have now with what we would be required to provide to switch. Why would I want to switch to a system that wants to track my every move on the net in order to have a working calendar?

Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
You also can't quite compare an e-mail only account to a google account registered with your andriod phone which provides much more, though I had a quick look, if I try to create a gmail account or a yahoo e-mail account, yahoo requires me to provide a phone number, while gmail doesn't...
You're assuming that all the various Google services are of value. To me, they're a [email protected] memory wasting nuisance, not an asset. Like I said, I recently helped set up an Android phone, and I had to decline or hunt down a way to turn off at least 20 different things. No, the user of the phone does not wish to have Google know their location and where their friends are at all times! Big brother at its worst.

Our Yahoo accounts are of sufficient age that there are no phone numbers attached to our Yahoo accounts, and mine doesn't even have my real name on it. Back when I got it, nobody used their real name on the net.

It may eventually be a losing battle, but I will fight to protect my privacy as long as I can. Right now I'm just looking for a working calendar app.
CDTraveler is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread