FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best calendar for joint Apple/Android family?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:09 am
Ditto

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
We don't. Somebody looking for me on social media wouldn't find anything posted by either of us.
But is it about what searches on the net are showing people, or about what the big companies hold in their database?
My social media accounts are also 'limited' and I never post anything public, it doesn't mean Facebook don't have all my pictures and other info in their database, and they mine that data to show me relevant ads etc. etc.

No, it absolutely relevant to compare the info we had to give to create the accounts we have now with what we would be required to provide to switch. Why would I want to switch to a system that wants to track my every move on the net in order to have a working calendar?
But it doesn't, all you need is a gmail account, which only requires your name and birth date, none which have to actually be real, just like with your Yahoo account...

You're assuming that all the various Google services are of value. To me, they're a d@mn memory wasting nuisance, not an asset. Like I said, I recently helped set up an Android phone, and I had to decline or hunt down a way to turn off at least 20 different things. No, the user of the phone does not wish to have Google know their location and where their friends are at all times! Big brother at its worst.
I'm not, and I also turn off many features I don't need on my phone, I'm just saying it's not an apple to apple comparison, and many people couldn't care less about google tracking their movements if they get some benefits out of it, heck people are even happy to put Amazon Echo in their home even though it always listens to what they say and upload that to the cloud...

Our Yahoo accounts are of sufficient age that there are no phone numbers attached to our Yahoo accounts, and mine doesn't even have my real name on it. Back when I got it, nobody used their real name on the net.
Again, you don't have to supply a real name opening a gmail account.

It may eventually be a losing battle, but I will fight to protect my privacy as long as I can. Right now I'm just looking for a working calendar app.
Well, you're looking for a calendar app to share a calendar between multiple devices, so unless you will build your own app, and have your own server somewhere in the internet hosting the data, you will have to share your calendar data with someone...