Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by dcmidnight
First thing I thought of, unfortunately it was the Amazon credit card.
Amazon Prime Chase card extends the warranty by 1 year if the original warranty was less than 3 years.
Rare likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 6:31 am

If you guys interested in Sony WH-1000XM5, check ebay seller: Secondipity. They have refurbished for $199. The catch is you no longer have original sony warranty but it has 2 years of squaretrade/allstate warranty. Mine looks like new when I got it.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 12:29 pm

And in general, most people seem to report that they've had very good luck with the squaretrade/allstate warranty that secondipity offers with their refurbished units. I had the earbuds xm4 models, and started having the problems with battery life that became common with those. I was pretty close to the end of the warranty period, but sent them in (as I recall, they even provided a label for the shipping). Some people were apparently getting repaired earbuds back from that, but within about a week of them receiving it I had a message saying they'd determined they were unrepairable and were refunding my purchase. Had the check within a week or so of that. I was actually amazed at just how easy the process was. Bought a pair of the xm5 earbuds as a replacement from secondipity.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Taikucing
If you guys interested in Sony WH-1000XM5, check ebay seller: Secondipity. They have refurbished for $199. The catch is you no longer have original sony warranty but it has 2 years of squaretrade/allstate warranty. Mine looks like new when I got it.
I definitely will. Thanks a lot!
But that is not the only device i need to buy these days. Was also checking hearing aids online and this time i think i am ready to get my first pair of them. This moment scares me a lot, but there is not much i can do anymore to stop the process. Maybe i will adjust to the situation with the time, at the moment it is just a little difficult to accept it.

Last edited by jennywhite; Feb 27, 2024 at 2:19 pm
Old Mar 22, 2024, 6:14 am

My original airpods pro are getting old. I use them with a Pixel. What earbuds should I get to replace them? My main criteria are comfort, noise cancelling (especially for flying) and no lag / sync issues when watching videos (vlc or youtube). I was thinking of either the next airpods pro (since the first gen worked fine), the Bose ultra, or the Sony WF-1000XM5.

Reviews tend to say they are similar and I suppose comfort is going to depend on fit to my ears, but would like some help on getting over decision paralysis.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 6:24 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
The Sony XM5 is on sale for $280 at Amazon spring sale.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by frappant
The Sony XM5 is on sale for $280 at Amazon spring sale.
They're also listed at $250 on Amazon, both with the same model number, although the $280 say new model. FWIW, the Bose Ultra is also $250 and the Airpods Pro are $190.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:24 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Wow.

Tempting.

Really curious if the ANC is that much better for the Sony and Bose than the AirPod Pro 2.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by frappant
Wow.

Tempting.

Really curious if the ANC is that much better for the Sony and Bose than the AirPod Pro 2.
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/re...truly-wireless has extensive comparisons that purport to be objective. Some say it's hard to tell the differences between the three in the real world, especially as much is fit dependent, whatever measurements may suggest. Those statements lead to my analysis paralysis.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/re...truly-wireless has extensive comparisons that purport to be objective. Some say it's hard to tell the differences between the three in the real world, especially as much is fit dependent, whatever measurements may suggest. Those statements lead to my analysis paralysis.
Indeed. I found the Sonys (the previous model) super uncomfortable, and AirPods have never stayed in my ears. The Bose, despite occasional connection glitches, are the most comfortable and have the best ANC … for me.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:03 pm

RE: Bose

I've had the Quiet Comfort IIs for quite some time and I find them the best ear pods I've ever used. The ANC is very effective and it really does work. Also, for my ears, they are the most comfortable of any I've ever used. Of course, as with most iPhone users, I had used the Apple ear buds prior to trying out the Bose. I suspect this is more of an individual thing, but the Apple ear pods never quite felt comfortable in my ears, whereas the Bose just feels as if they're a natural fit. I can wear them all day.

At some point, I'll probably pick up the new ones when they're on sale and with the Amex Dell credit.
EuropeanPete and Bokehman like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti

I've had the Quiet Comfort IIs for quite some time and I find them the best ear pods I've ever used. The ANC is very effective and it really does work. Also, for my ears, they are the most comfortable of any I've ever used. Of course, as with most iPhone users, I had used the Apple ear buds prior to trying out the Bose. I suspect this is more of an individual thing, but the Apple ear pods never quite felt comfortable in my ears, whereas the Bose just feels as if they're a natural fit. I can wear them all day.

At some point, I'll probably pick up the new ones when they're on sale and with the Amex Dell credit.
Yup. They’re really, really good, but I would only get them on sale. I signed up with Bose Canada and just waited for a few months.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bokehman
Yup. They’re really, really good, but I would only get them on sale. I signed up with Bose Canada and just waited for a few months.
Yeah, they're the best (IMHO) and priced like it too! During a promo sale is definitely the best time to pick them up, and I wouldn't hesitate to get the new ones. I'm assuming as with all electronic devices with small batteries, the way I'm using my current ones likely will require new ones sooner rather than later.

Also, earlier in the thread, if I recall, we had touched on potential connection issues with iPhones? After my initial experience, upon updating my iOS and downloading the Bose app, haven't experienced any connection issues ever since, including airplane mode which I use quite frequently. It's been flawless and perfect the past 6 or 8 months. So, I really can't recommend these enough for those who want the ANC feature.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by richarddd
My original airpods pro are getting old. I use them with a Pixel. What earbuds should I get to replace them? My main criteria are comfort, noise cancelling (especially for flying) and no lag / sync issues when watching videos (vlc or youtube). I was thinking of either the next airpods pro (since the first gen worked fine), the Bose ultra, or the Sony WF-1000XM5.

Reviews tend to say they are similar and I suppose comfort is going to depend on fit to my ears, but would like some help on getting over decision paralysis.
If you are in the apple ecosystem the APP2 are the best overall in my opinion.. I’ve tried them all. The Sony XM5 have a TINY leg up on Audio but not ANC in my opinion and one always has to use the sony app for those feature set changes.

I’ve had Bose ANC headphones now for ~ 30+ years, and about 7 overall sets and I just can’t happy with the Bose in ear wireless headphones, comfort or sound.
ContinentalFan and sea_jeff like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti

The airpods pro feel fine in my ears. As noted, individuals are different

Are there any APP2 features that require an Apple product?

Originally Posted by nmenaker
If you are in the apple ecosystem the APP2 are the best overall in my opinion.. I’ve tried them all. The Sony XM5 have a TINY leg up on Audio but not ANC in my opinion and one always has to use the sony app for those feature set changes.

I’ve had Bose ANC headphones now for ~ 30+ years, and about 7 overall sets and I just can’t happy with the Bose in ear wireless headphones, comfort or sound.
I have a Pixel and am not in the apple ecosystem. Audio quality (within reason) is not a major issue for me. The Bose wired headphones AA used to supply become uncomfortable too quickly. I have an old pair of wired Bose QC2 earbuds, which I find quite comfortable, but the ANC isn't great and I'd prefer wireless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.